Webelos Patrol names?

I was informed today that there is an official list of patrol names somewhere that the boys need to choose from. The reasoning is that there are patches that are already available for those names, and if you decide to use an "original" name, then you must pay to have a patch designed. Good grief - does it really get this complicated? I was under the impression that the boys could come up with their own name - and I didn't even know they had to have a matching patch. Does anyone know the answer to this?

There are 30 standard Patrol Patches. And they sell a blank one to make your own. We have a patrol thats called the Glazed doughnuts. We used Gel Paint and they designed and made the patch using the Blank ones. Was reletivley easy. Have the boys design it and practice with the gel paints on something before you do the actual patch.

In addition you can sometimes get Canadian patches or even australian ones.

Paul

Some patrols use one of the standard patrol badges but with an interesting name.

Soaring Eagles

Snappin' Gators

The big hurdle is getting the boys to decide on one that everyone is happy with. My Webelos patrol had a couple of boys who wanted the dragon and the other extreme of the boy who wanted the owl. You can see a lot about their personalities just by seeing which emblem they like.

Hey, I wonder when and why they discontinued the patch for the Warrior Patrol. That was my patrol. Too militaristic maybe; or maybe it was the idea of portraying Native Americans as being overly militaristic. (I see there's an "Indian" now, but he's not fighting anybody.) When I look at these patches I remember we had a Bat, Cobra and Panther patrol in addition to the Warriors. Maybe a Wolf too, it's been awhile. No "Pedro Patrol," good gosh, I wonder how many boys pick that one. I also suspect that the "Badger Patrol" is not in the Top Ten.

Colors have changed too. When I started all the patches were in all-black thread on a red background, then I think around 1972 it switched to the same bright-green background that was also used in the rank and position patches at the time. I don't remember if the 70s patches were in full color like they are now, I don't think so.

NJ, Even as a mom I'm with you about the Pedro patrol. I also wondered about the Pinetree Patrol.

I had one scout tell me he was once in the Moose patrol. The boys would stand up with a can of hair mousse and say "we're smooth" and run their hand across the top of their head.

When I was a CM, the Webelos choose their patrol name when they became Sr. Webelos in May. We checked with our brother troop to choose a patrol name not in use in the troop. During the Webelos senior ear, the pack referred to the den as the "" patrol (fill in their name), at committee meetings, pack meetings, on the pack phone list. This was done to help their transistion the Boy Scouts, and it kept the Scouts together better in the troop.(This message has been edited by shemgren)

Hi All:

From what I've read, the WEBELOS Cub Scouts are organized in Dens. The Den may chose a mascot, similar to the Boy Scout Patrol mascot. They are then known as the xxxx den, rather than Den #.

If you get a chance, take a look at http://www.gilwell.com/patrolPatch/ . There are images of all the current patrol medalions, and many of the past &/or retired medalions.

The one I like are the custom or home-made badges that the dens or patrols make themselves. My personal favorite is one where they take the raccoon patch, turn it upside down, stitch black thread across the critter, and call it the road kill (patrol or den).

Keep on Scoutin' ora

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 webelo dens in my Pack. They use standard patrol names but I give them a nickname based on the patrol they use.

My Flaming Arrows I call the Flaming Sparrows (They get a chuckle out of it and call me Flubmaster Dave in return)

My Flying Eagles I call the Flying Beagles

My Dragons I call the Whiskily Wagons