National requirement for SSN numbers

At our Roundup training we were told that the National now REQUIRES that the boy's social security number be included on their applications and that the applications would not be accepted without this number. Even to the point of turning away a potential scout if they did not want to provide this information. It is supposed to be tied in with the Child Find program. Has anyone else heard this?

I'm our district's Roundup chairman and on the Council membership committee and have heard of no such national requirement. In fact, the membership committee is pushing the council to track SSNs, and is meeting some reisitance. If it were a requirement from National, I think that debate would be different.

We have a problem of mutiple registrations for Robert Smith, Bob Smith and Bobby Smith -- two of whom drop out of Scouting at some point. It has caused real problems with our registration numbers and recruitment and retention goals. Collecting SSNs would solve that problem, at least.

The more practical problem is that few people, I think, have their kids' SSN with them or in memory when they come to registration. I'd have to go to the safe deposit box and find the cards for my own boys. I think a little flexibility is due. Turning away boys without their number is draconian. I certainly wouldn't turn anyone away.

Sign 'em up! The paperwork can follow.

If they do require an SSAN, they don't have a legal leg to stand on.

Remember back in the day when all colleges used the SSAN as your ID number? A few lawsuits changed that so you could opt out and use another number. Why? The SSAN is a key to your financial information.

My son's school wanted his SSAN. I asked the principal why? She said that they just wanted it. They didn't get it.

I checked with the ACLU on this when my son's school was making the fuss. My faulty memory says that a government agency had better have statutory authority to request the SSAN and with few exceptions provide a privacy act statement. A non-governmental organization can only insist on your SSAN if the have a need to report income to the government.

The information I found online said that if a private organization wants your SSN for any reason and you don't want to give it to them, do business elsewhere. There are no laws governing them private organizations about this. If a government org wants it they must provide a privacy statement. Any org invovled in what money you make (employee or bank) is required to get your SSN.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give out yours or your kids SSN. With it, it is so, so easy to recreate your identity and destroy your credit rating. I have been a victim of this, and unfortunately, am not alone. I could care less and if I had to put one down for bsa, i would be tempted to be decietful and put in a bogus one, even knowing that is not right, but the pain of continuously resolving this personal conflict of i.d. theft will never go away and I wouldn't wish it on anyone

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted our Council Executive and he informed me that there is NO requirement for this information. Our District instructor was wrong. Thanks for all the information that you all posted. I probably should have contacted him first, but the district person was so sure of herself I figured it had to be correct!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I completed the application for both my son (as a cub) and myself (as a leader) without providing the number. I did not encounter any problems.

I am also of the belief, that it may be illegal to require the number under the circumstances as it is not payroll related or at the request of the government. As a matter of practice, I do not provide this number to anyone except in the instances that I have noted above.

I think SSN's should be required for all adults who register. This way, when the backround checks are done they can be done completely. Only someone with something to hide would have a problem with this.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Word is the social security number will be required for exactly the purpose Ed mentions -- background checks. All volunteers with BSA will be screened. New applications are expected out early next year. We were also told that currently registered adults will not be screened unless they change positions (thus submitting a new application).

This information was shared by our Director of Field Service and Scout Exec at our College of Commissioner Science this weekend.

I don't think there is any reason for BSA to ask for the youth social security numbers.

I think this is council dependent. Our council knows nothing of this requirement. And quite frankly with the record keeping I have seen at some places I would not be readily willing to give mine. Think about it, your application with SSN on it has everything you need to steal someones ID. It is going to take some to convince me to give it to them readily.

I went to: http://www.ssa.gov and here is what the Social Security Administration says about organizations asking for your SSN.

"If a business or other enterprise asks you for your SSN, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for a Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means. Giving your number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask why your number is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the consequences are if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours."

I provided mine since I'm registered as an adult leader. I like to think someone did a criminal background check on me. On the other hand, I discourage parents from providing their son's SSN or their own (it's on their son's application). IMHO, BSA has no need for this information from anyone who isn't registering as an adult leader.