Our pack is going to start using the cub scout program themes for the first time. It seems very straight forward. Does anyone have any tips directly relating to the program helps booklets that we may share at our leader retreat next month? We now have a new UC who said he will help with our retreat. What are your experiences with the program?

Cbmstr922

Three years ago when I started a new CS Pack in my hometown, we had all new leaders. Our UC was the SM from the next town, he helped when he could, but at the time, he wasn't too dependable (busy schedule, I guess). We could not have done it without the helps. We had to develop a program fast and did not yet have training or relationships to fall back on.

The helps made it easier to plan (most of it was done, just pick and choose which features you wanted). The leaders didn't feel overwelmed with den meeting planning, they could just follow the plan in the book (and most did).

I was a Webelos Den Leaders also, and I did use the Webelos Den Leaders guide just as it read. I would get my girlfreind to list out the materials and help me collect them. Don;t really know how we would have done it otherwise.

I was a den leader for three years (Bear - Webelos). The booklets were a great resource. If I had any tip to pass along it would be this: Use the helps, maybe even rely on them at first, but don't "marry" them. Eventually your leaders will become comfortable enough with the program that they should be encouraged to custom fit each month's theme to their own boys. Such helps by their very nature are generic, but each den in each Pack has strengths and weaknesses. One of the goals we as leaders should have is to bolster the weaknesses, improve the strengths while making the program fun. This will require customizing the program. It takes time and extra effort, but if your leaders will do this it pays big dividends (low drop-out rate, high cross-over numbers, increased membership, etc.). Which causes me to ask, what is the level of training in your Pack? Are your leaders all trained, do some have advanced training? Maybe your UC can teach you all how to customize the program?

Good Point rlculver415,

I don't think I was in the program long enough to get comfortable. I did two years as WDL and CM and most everything else that needed done. Doing more than one job right from the start was detrimental to this development. I left to start a Boy Scout Troop after that.

But you are right, at some point, the program needs to be customized, but cbmstr922 has been doing that completely, so it shouldn't be a problem for his leaders to incorporate the helps.

The themes are great and give you something to "hang your hat on" when planning your Den and Pack meetings. The program helps are a great "help" too. But, remind your leaders that using the Helps as a bible will NOT automatically cover every achievement the boys need to advance. They should be utilizing area resources also. Home Depot woodworking workshops, Com Ed "Power Houses", scout programs offered at nature centers/museums/zoos/aquariums/botanic gardens, tours at stores/factories/businesses/utilities, etc. Not to mention FAMILIES! District Roundtables are a great place to find activities and ceremonies that tie into the themes.

One last thought, you might find that a theme works best for your Pack on a different month. Do not be afraid to reshuffle months as necessary to make it work for you. Just remember to get a calendar of the themes laid out in advance so everyone is on the same page!

Thanks for all your imput. I will share your post with all of our leaders. This will be quite a change for many of us. We currently have 50 scouts and expect to hit the 60's by fall roundup. With the large numbers we have lately it sure seems to slow down change.

YIS