Cub pack Funds xfr to new Troop?

Our cub scout pack has just finished its 3rd year. After much discussion, the pack decided to form a Troop for our graduating Webelos (I preferred to send them to another troop). As treasurer, I have been asked to come up with a formula with which to determine an the proper amount of "seed money" for the new Troop, which will have it's own account. The thought was to use months active, popcorn $ raised, and fundraiser participation as factors. Is this an acceptable method? Anyone have suggestions on percentages? How is this normally handled? Most of the high popcorn sellers are the boys that are crossing over. Also, our pack has started a habit (one I am not happy with) of reimbursing anyone with a receipt, for snacks, misc. project supplies, whatever. I feel that these are not items that should be paid by the pack, but instead contributed. I have voiced my opinion, but nothing changes. We currently do not use individual accounts for our cubs, but I understand that it is the norm to do that for Boy Scouts. Lord help me if it is me handling it. I am running out of time as it is now as I am constantly besieged by folks looking for me to write them a check. And then I go home and spend two hours loading up Quicken and running reports that nobody looks at anyway. Any advice? I know I've really got two topics in here, sorry about that...

Unless the pack is rolling in $$$, the only money I would transfer is the $$ the Webelos have earned from their fundraisers that wasn't used for camp. Other than that, it is the responsibility of the new Troop CC & SM to try to get $$ from somewhere. The CO's have been known to help a Troop with start up finances.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

"the only money I would transfer is the $$ the Webelos have earned from their fundraisers that wasn't used for camp"

All our funds go into one account, and we don't track individual accounts, but I do know how much each boy raised in popcorn - that's the only thing we track by boy. Do you mean that we should take out the money that those boys raised and sent to the new troop? That doesn't seem quite right as those boys have benefitted from that money all thru the year. We also purchased our own derby track and timer - and that was no small change. We have not yet had resident camp this summer - that is still upcoming. The troop wants the scouts camps paid for, as well as some "seed money". Is that the way it is usually handled?

Why in the world would the Pack pay any money to start this troop? Ed's right, it's up to the new troop to get the money. Since your Pack didn't do individual funds then no money should be forwarded.

Our troop gets $0 from the Pack when new Webelos crossover. The boys start out with $0 in their scout accounts. They will have opportunities to participate in our fundraisers during the year.

I STRONGLY urge you to seek advice at the district and/or council level on this. It seems pretty unusual to me.

The pack cannot "decide" to start a troop. If you mean that the charter organization that has the pack is starting a troop that's different. Keep in mind that the money in your bank account is not the pack's. It is the Charter organization's. Since the Charter Organization is expanding their scouting program using the money they already have in their scouting program as seed money makes perfect sense.

I agree that I would use a amount that is based on the Webeolos joining the troop and perhaps a little more if it can be afforded to help with start up costs. However you need to do with the CO's money what they ask you to do. it sounds to me like they took a very reasonable approach by saying "bring us a plan". I would do as requested and see how things progress from there.

cubmom,

I meant whatever money is left from the popocorn sale minus any camp fees that were paid for those boys. Pack 1 (our feeder pack) keeps individual records for all the Cubs & Webelos who participate in the fundraisers. When the Webelos move up to Boy Scouts, the remaining balance in their accounts gets transfered to the Troop. If the boy doesn't go on to Boy Scouts, the money stays with the Pack.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

evmori - I see what you are saying, but I don't have a "balance" for each boy. All I know is that Jimmy S. sold 900.00 worth of popcorn last fall. That's it. All "events" have been paid for by the pack, but there have been no camps yet this summer.

Bob White-

"The pack cannot "decide" to start a troop. If you mean that the charter organization that has the pack is starting a troop that's different".

Technically, we parents are the "chartering" organization. We started the pack ourselves - and yes we are legal - I guess we actually formed our own organization somehow - I don't know the details. So we are in charge, and it really is our decision as a group. Which makes it hard since this part is new to us, and that is why I came to this forum.

Can you take the pack expenses and divide by the number of boys to get a per boy expense for the year? Then take the amount each Webelos earned, subtract the per boy expense, and that amount will be transferred to the boy's account at the troop level.

You also need to figure out if you are going to do this every year when Webelos crossover.

Personally, I think the troop should start new and fresh, even with the same CO. Just my opinion.

The first year my son was a Cub we benefited from past year's fund raisers. The last year he was a Webelos, the money we earned went to support the Pack and all incoming Cubs. Seems fair to me.

How the charter organization was formed has no bearing on what I wrote initially. You still have a charter organization. Your charter requires you to have identified an executive head. Only they can start a new troop and the money earned by the pack still belongs to the CO to do with as they see fit. If that is to expand the scouting services then they can direct CO resources to that end.

Bob White

With all due respect Bob you are correct in that only the Chartering Organization can start a Troop. However, it is the parents of the Webelos who are crossing over who are in reality starting the new Troop (Yes I know - with the blessings of the Chartering Organiztion).

The Troop that I am ASM for was started in April of this year. The only thing that our Pack (which I am Cubmaster of) did was to purchase the new Troop Flag for the Troop. It was up to the leaders of the new Troop to obtain funding, which we did. Naturally all of the funds in the boys indivual accounts transferred to the new troop for the boys use - not the Troops.

cubmom - If your Pack does not have individual accounts for the boys then it would be difficult to take money from the Pack to start the Troop.

Just my two cents worth

Sorry paul but the parents may be forming the leadership of the troop but they are still chartered to an organization. that organization must identify an executive officer who signs the contract (charter agreement)with the BSA. That charter organization that is registered as the sponsor of the pack and troop owns the assets of both units, including the funds raised by either or both, not the parents of the webelos, not the unit committees. That is what makes "the parents of..." and other similiarly casually constructed organizations so brittle. You not only need a committee for each of the units but you need officers to oversee the credibility of the Chartering Organization.