New Academic & Sport Awards?

• 3 weeks later...

LauraMO--

The rumor you heard may be partially correct, depending on what it said. I attended the BSA National Conference in early June and attended a workshop led by two members of the National Cub Scout Committee on Outdoor Activities. Based on my notes:

The following have now been added to the list of approved activities for Cub Scouts: skateboarding, snowboarding, snorkeling, hockey, flag football, and pack overnighters. This information will appear in the new editions of the Wolf, Bear, and Webelos handbooks which should be out during 2003.

New sport belt loops and pins have been approved for ice skating, roller skating (roller blading, inline skating), snow ski and board sports and flag football. The new requirements will be out soon, but ONLY after the Scout Supply Center is equipped to provide the belt loops and pins.

Requirements for the shooting belt loops and pins have been modified. The new requirements will be published during this fall to enable groups to be ready for summer camp 2003.

A new revision of the Leaders book for Academics and Sports is due out in a year or so.

So stayed tuned. Keep checking with your district and council trainers and your council program person for current information. We were told in no uncertain terms that the requirements for the new loops will not be available until BSA can supply the belt loops and pins to go along with them.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

The reason, I have heard for the fact that thier is no belt loops for Martial Arts or Karate is that they are contact sports and BSA does not what to encourage contact sports (the same reason is given for no belt loop for tackle football). I can understand this point and do support it, but do wish they would look at it again since a good Marial Arts program will teach the same traits as BSA (respect, self-displine, and honor). For example the in Tae Kwon Do they have the following that is taught to each student along with the skills:

Tenets of Tae Kwon Do:

1. Courtesy

2. Integrity

3. Perseverance

4. Self-Control

5. Indomitable Spirit

6. Victory

Ten Commandments of Tae Kwon Do:

1. Be loyal to your country.

2. Be a good son or daughter to your parents.

3. Be faithful to your spouse.

4. Be on good terms with your brothers and sisters.

5. Be loyal to your friends.

6. Be respectful to the elders.

7. Respect and trust your teachers.

8. Use good judgement before killing any living thing.

9. Never retreat in battle.

10. Always finish what you start.

Most of these are things we would like to see in a good Scout. I also accept that BSA has the problem that they have no control over the quality of a Martial Arts program and there are bad ones out there, but then there are bad soccer programs that are concerned with winning at all cost (I have seen them).

Martial Arts have been ok'd for Boy Scouts and Venturing with the proper supervision. They are NOT approved for the Cub Scout level.

BTW - The new belt loops and pins are now in some scout shops. However, the requirements are not in yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Does the New Academic & Sports booklet have a red cover? My 1999 version has a yellow cover. At the Council shop I saw them with red covers. I asked what was different, the lady didn't know and they didn't have a sample one open.

Found the answer -- the new books have a red cover.

New Academics loops and pins

Astronomy

Collecting

Geology

Language and Culture

Map and Compass (yippee!!!)

New Sports loops and pins

Flag Football

Snow Ski & board sports

Ice Skating and Roller Skating are now 2 unique loops

Our Council shop and the National Scout Shop has the books and all the loops & pins in stock.

The New Retail Catalog still shows the old yellow covered book.

The book is still $5.95

Boxing, karate, and related martial arts - except judo, aikido, and Tai Chi - are not authorized activities.

Guide to Safe Scouting

Martial arts in general are not approved for Boy Scouts and Venturing! Only the three disciplines listed are approved because they are not impact contact sports.

It's important to read the G2SS before you participate in an activity.

Bob White