Advice for new Cub Master

Am preparing to take over as cub master for a pack. Plan to form committees, create website etc. Any of you veterans have any advice that may be helpful before I proceed?

Thanks

Yes, I recommend you get the Committee Chair to put together committees and get a web site going.

As Cubmaster concentrate on the quality of the monthly pack meeting, recruiting, enthusing and inspiring den leaders, and planning and carrying out an annual plan.

You are the program leader, the committee chair the administrative leader. Together you work as one to make the pack program work for the boys.

Best of luck. I found my time as Cubmaster to be some of the greatest fun I had in scouting.

Bob White

PS

Go to training ASAP, it will be a big help to you.

Does your pack have a schedule for the next year? If so, review it, making a list of "jobs" you need people to fill to make that calendar happen. If not, get with your den leaders and other parents as quickly as possible and make a calendar.

Start thinking now about roundup -- to get boys AND adults.

If you are needing to recruit adult volunteers have specific jobs for them to sign up for.

As the others said -- attend training and roundtable. Contact your district people to introduce yourself and see how they can help you. If you already know them, let them know you are becomeing the cubmaster.

The top 2 things to remember:

1) It's for the boys

2) Have fun!

1) Draw on the ideas, skills, and enthusiasm of others. Doing it all yourself is unfair to you, and unfair to the boys whose adults might otherwise be involved.

2) Plan ahead - far ahead.

3) Bring enthusiasm, energy, and high standards to the job. You're not just filling a position, you're stepping into what should be a Role Model for the boys.

4) As someone else said, remember that it's for the boys. Evaluate everything anyone says you should do, any deeply-held traditions - and ask whether age 7-to-11 boys would find it fun or entertaining or inspiring.

5) Involve the families - don't let the adults warm chairs. Games and activities that bring the boys and their families together are the lifeblood of the pack and our communities.

6) Learn from others, as has been suggested - Roundtable, leader training, etc. My favorite is attending other quality units' pack meetings - with your sons, if possible.

7) Don't let the adults talk too much! (There I go, violating my own rule...)

• 2 weeks later...

Everything above is great advice. I'll just add to it, bringing to bear my years of experience ;) (two!) as cubmaster.

Your pack probably has "traditions" in the areas of activities, ceremonies and the dreaded "that's the way we did it last year" :p . Since your pack meetings and activities should reflect your likes and dislikes to a certain degree, I say take a good hard look at them. Then, keep most, get rid of the one or two the makes you nuts (like having Santa come when most of the Bears are already skeptics and want to pull his beard off!), and add a couple new ones of your own.

Get to know your District Executive, Unit Commissioner, and (MOST IMPORTANT) key staffers at the council office. They all want you and your pack to succeed, but often won't contact you unless they think there's a problem. Mine have never failed to help when asked.

Does your pack have summer activities planned? No, well then, it's not too late to march in the local 4th of July parade. Just contact the organizer, then call the families and see who shows up. If only four boys and you march (in uniform, of course), that's still great public exposure. What about summer camp? Most camps have a few openings left, even if it's just you and your son - GO! You'll both learn AND have fun.

Finally, I have never enjoyed the luxury of a "real" committee chair. That is, a person willing to actually handle the administrative end of running the pack. If you've got one, I'm jealous. If not, then work hard to find one, because wearing both hats will wear you out fast.

Good luck in your new role, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. YIS

When I was Cubmaster (2 years) I think the best advise I received was this:

You are now 9 years old again, think like it, have fun with it (it doesn't hurt to act like it at times too).

Don't be afraid to do things that the boys will laugh at (and get the other adults to do it too). The adults in our pack would do skits etc at the B & G and other 'big' meetings. It lets the adults know that it is okay to have fun, and the boys know that it is okay to laugh at the adults once in a while. Some of the most memorable times in Cub Scouting was when the adults got up in front and made fools of themselves, The boys loved it.

Also, Find out what the boys like to do and want to do and try to include as much of that in your program as possible. You won't be able to please everyone all at once, but you have the beast chance at pleasing most in the long run.