Advice for new Cub Master

Am preparing to take over as cub master for a pack. Plan to form committees, create website etc. Any of you veterans have any advice that may be helpful before I proceed?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, sounds like you may have lots to do...

First of all, forming committees should really be the job of the Pack Committee, although you're likely to need to assist in the recruitment effort (always a challenge, but make it fun for both you and the prospective members).

Moving on, get all the training you can, as that can make all the difference in how well you understand and perform your job. If possible, get trained in all aspects of Cub Scouting so you have a full understanding - barring that, read up using the current materials (there have been several changes lately).

I guess that one of the most important things is to try not to do too much, although it may be tempting. If you get carried away you're likely to suffer from burn-out, not to mention the distinct possibility of upsetting some of the other adults in the pack. As a matter of fact, delegate whenever possible - it will help you keep your sanity and assist in building a core of adults that you can later call on for other slots in the leadership that your pack may need to fill.

As far as a Web site goes, try to find a free site that you can get donated from a Web hosting service. Many will do this for you, and you can avoid the use of "free" sites that are full of pop-up and banner advertising. Often, these ads are inappropriate for Scouting, annoy your users, and, importantly, are against BSA policies. It might be a good idea to review the policies before creating your site, which covers such things as URLs, name usage, the above mentioned advertising, etc.

Oh, and Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

First thing to remember...nothing goes as planned (especially at a Pack meeting) How you handle yourself in front of the Cubs (AND PARENTS) will reflect in your program. Just have fun with it and go with the flow.

Don't be afraid of being the village idiot in front of everyone. When you tell awful jokes, sing off key and present the awards with enthusiasm and respect for the boys...they will appreciate you. Really.

Get a copy of the requirements for Quality Unit. This will help you plan your year, not to mention earn your Pack recognition, and check off a box for your Cubmaster Award.

At a pack meeting (September and/or October) challenge all the Cubs to earn their rank badge. Promise them a special ceremony when they earn it, then do it. Simple and memorable ceremonies are available all over the web. Soon you'll be making up your own. Trust me.

There are many BSA programs you can look into, present to your Pack committee and maybe lead your Pack through. The Crime Prevention Program, BSA Family Program, Religious Emblems...

And you do not have to stick with just BSA programs. Last Sept. I challenged the Scouts in my Pack to volunteer, do community service and keep track their time for one year. 50 hours would earn a Silver award and 100 hours a Gold award in the President's Student Service Award Program. I had 4 Cubs earn 4 silvers and 1 gold. I know there will be more to present next year.

You don't have do everything. Start off slow and soon you'll WILL be running. A great Cub Scout year is out there waiting for you. Good luck, Akela.

1. Watch Youth Protection & Fast Start tapes today.

2. Get to a New Leader's Essentials 90-minute course ASAP.

3. Attend Cub Leader Training when your District schedules it.

4. Get a "Guide to Safe Scouting", and read it cover to cover.

5. Recruit 2 leaders for every den (enthusiasm, not experience, is the main prerequisite).

6. Husband/Wife teams should not count as 2 leaders; if one can't make a meeting/activity, the other usually can't as well. If you have a husband/wife team, get a third leader.

7. Hire a good assistant Cubmaster whose strengths offset your weaknesses -- no clones.

8. Insist your den leaders are as trained as you are.

9. Remember the den leaders work for you, you work for the CO. You choreograph the program each month, the committee enables it with $$, materiel, advancements, etc.

10. Follow the program, including all the program helps, especially if you're new at this. BSA's been doing Cubs for over 70 years, they've pretty well got it figured out.

11. Be VERY NICE to the advancements chair; when the pack program gets rolling, those critters will be earning belt loops, activity pins, patches, beads, and other doo-dads at an alarming rate. The den leader reports, advancement reports, and hardware all needs to flow quickly -- the Advancements chair makes it happen.

12. Don't be afraid to remove a leader who's not cutting the mustard. I've had to do it as a Cubmaster and Committee Chairman. It's unpleasant, but the mass defections away from a bad den leader are worse. There are many indicators; watch for them.

13. Go to every Roundtable you can. Pick other leaders' brains.

14. Pester your unit commissioner for feedback and advice.

15. Between you, your assistant, your unit commish if he has time, and experienced committee members (e.g., treasurer who has been a den leader), ensure each den gets one pack-level visit to a den meeting each month. Too many good reasons to; don't be an ostrich.

16. Get personally involved in the Webelos-to-Scout transition. February will be upon you before you know it.

Good luck.

KS

1. Get all the training required.

2. Ensure all your adults are trained for their positions.

3. Plan, plan plan.

4. Get in contact with local Troops & develop a good working relationship with them.

5. And last & most important, have fun & make it fun for the boys!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

• 3 weeks later...

See my post in the trait of a successful Pack message string. It says it all on how to develop a good Pack program.

I was just like you 1 1/2 years ago when I took over a Pack ready to collapse. It took alot of hard work and learning and just plain creativity but it works. Lots of good advice here but one thing that wasnt said is format a program of interest to YOU and fit the scout model into it, not the other way around. My Pack is heavily involved in forestry because I'm a forester. Talk to every parent both existing and ones that will come into your Pack about being a leader.

Delegate...Delegate. A wel run outfit is one where it doesnt even know if the boss is gone. We have another Pack here in town that was the largest before mine ovepassed them. They lost their Cubmaster in the Spring and are now leaderless wth no direction and the families are leaving en masse. Problem was the Cubmaster did everything (he ACTUALLY liked it that way)and when he left, no one knew what was going on and were used to him doing it all.

I have mine organized so when I am gone in 2 years, they will keep on rolling as alot of parents are involved.

Contact me by e-mail if you want to discuss in detail.