I have 8 first year Webelos who are trying to buy the new uniforms for Webelos and we found that the belt loops for sports don't fit onto the Webelos belts. They had to earn these for some of their activity badges. Is there a different type of belt that they can use instead?

My guess is they have bought the wrong belt. Webelos were the same blue web belt as other cub scouts but with a webelos belt buckle purchased separately. Since it is the same belt the sports awards should fit on it. If they have purchased the green boy scout belt, the awards will probably not fit as the bely is a hair wider.

The green web belt is only for Boy Scouts and adult leaders to wear. Webelos wear the blue web belt even if they are wearing the tan iniform shirt.

Bob White

Pack 330

Bob White is correct about the blue belt being the correct belt for Webelos. Our Pack chose to have the Webelos wear the green belt as Webelos. You can spread the belt loops a little and they will fit on the green belts.

Sounds like the Supply Division missed something if the webelos scouts are supposed to wear a tan shirt, green pants and a blue belt!!! No wonder none of my webelos last year wanted to switch to the brown shirts :)

BobWhite says:

The green web belt is only for Boy Scouts and adult leaders to wear. Webelos wear the blue web belt even if they are wearing the tan iniform shirt.

That is not correct. Webelos wearing the tan uniform may wear either the green Boy Scout belt or the blue Cub Scout belt with Webelos buckle. Presumably they have kept the blue belt as an option because, as previously stated, the Academics and Sports belt loops do not fit the green belt.

My source is the official BSA Supply Division online catalog, www.scoutstuff.org. When you go there, the "welcoming" photo includes a Webelos Scout (apparently the tallest 10-year-old in the world), wearing the tan and green uniform with a blue belt (and that new hat.) But after you click on the "enter" logo, then on "Scout Necessities," then Webelos, you will find the following statement (I have added the underlining):

Webelos Scouts may wear the blue Cub Scout or khaki Boy Scout uniform. Webelos cap, neckerchief, and insignia placement is the same for either uniform. They can choose the blue belt with the Webelos Scout buckle or the olive belt with the Boy Scout buckle. Cub Scout belt loops fit only the Cub Scout Web Belt.

Then below that, in the list of Webelos uniform parts, you will find both the Cub Scout web belt (blue) and the Boy Scout web belt (green) as well as the Webelos belt buckle. Clicking on the latter 2 items reveals the following:

WEBELOS SCOUT BELT BUCKLE

Fits blue and green belts, sold separately. WW80831 $3.25

BOY SCOUT WEB BELT

Includes buckle and clip. Order by size. (Note for Webelos: Cub Scout Academics and Sports program belt loops will not fit the Boy Scout Belt.) WW52992 $6.15 (SM/M) WW52993 $8.45 (M/LG)