I received a lot of helpful advice in my earlier post on Webelos With Attitude. As a result, I'm pleased to report that five of my eight have now earned their AOL, and I expect another two to do so by our next pack meeting. As it will be the last pack meeting of the school year, this is when crossover would occur. Now, I need some advice about crossover.

One boy already joined a troop, two say they won't be joining any troop, three are planning to join different troops, and two don't seem to know what they're doing. What kind of a crossover ceremony should I plan for my pack meeting? None, and ask the receiving troops to conduct one instead? Have one just for those boys who say they're going to join a troop? Have one for all the boys? Frankly, I'm at a loss.

I'd hold a crossover meeting (make sure to ask all the boys in the pack to attend, not just webelos) and have some kind of crossing over ceremony - we use a bridge (although it's usually up on stage in the school all purpose room).

Have every troop that has a member joining send someone to welcome them to the troop and put their new neckerchief on. You could also have them presented with a Boy Scout Handbook, Fieldbook, or something else scouting related.

Take pictures of each group joining scouts and do a write-up for the local paper.

Make sure the younger scouts know they will be recognized and applauded for their hard work in acheiving the AOL and crossing over into BS.

YIS

Quixote

We had a similiar situation a couple of months ago. Representatives from one of the troops were there. The pack gave all the boys their Boy Scout handbook. The Scoutmaster removed the boy's blue shoulder tabs, Webelos hat and neckerchief, and shook their hand.

Ceremonies are an importmant part of Scouting. I believe that ceremonies such as AOL and Crossover are not only important for the Scouts receiving the award or crossing over but for the younger Scouts. My advice is to make the crossover ceremony one of the most memorable one for all your Scouts. I would also include all of the Webelos, whether they are AOL or not, give the boys who say they are not going into Boy Scouting a chance to change their mind. Also you need to include and make an important part of the ceremony the Scoutmasters from all the Troops involved. Good Luck! Remember the younger Scouts and give them a "cool" goal.

YIS

Paul

Most troops worth their salt will want to have representatives there for the crossover ceremony. I also would go with the suggestion of having all the boys do it, even if they are not going on.

The Webelos crossover is an important time of a Scout's life. Where the Arrow of Light presentation marks the end of being a Cub Scout, the crossover ceremony represents the next big step on the Trail of Scouting.

The boys crossing over into a Boy Scout Troop are the only ones who should be participating in the ceremony. Having the others cross the bridge, be presented a Scout Handbook, etc. provides nothing but a feel good moment for boys who aren't doing anything more in Scouting. They know it, the parents know it, the Scoutmaster knows it - why have them crossover?

If the boys earned the AOL, they got their moment in the spotlight - now it's time for the one's crossing over to have theirs.

• 1 month later...

The crossing over ceremony or bridging ceremony is a sore spot for me, since it appears many packs mis-use it. The crossing over ceremony is to recognize only those boys who have committed to joining a troop and they are "crossing over" the bridge to Boy Scouting. The Arrow of Light ceremony is obviously for Webelos who have earned the AOL. So, in my opinion, if it is done correctly, a pack may have up to 3 ceremonies. First an AOL for those who have earned it. Secondly, a pack may want to have some kind of graduation ceremony to recognize those who have completed Cub Scouting. Finally, a crossing over ceremony, with representatives of the troop(s) present to greet their new members as they cross-over to Boy Scouting. I frankly think that boys (and their families) who have made the commitment to continue Scouting deserve special recognition. However, many packs are reluctant to just ignore all the other Webelos (I guess that is part of our society's current initiative to ensure that everyone is treated equally and made to feel good about themselves, no matter what they did or did not do, but that is a different "soap box." :-)). My solution is the pack graduation ceremony. It may not be possible, practical or necessary to hold so many different ceremonies at one pack meeting. Pack leaders may have to carefully discuss how to proceed. Cross-over ceremonies, to be most effective, need coordination with the receiving troops. I believe it should be impressive and in front of the whole pack, so the Cubs get the impression that becoming a Boy Scout and joining a troop IS something special and deserving of special recognition. Thank you for listening and I apologize to those who have heard this from me before.