Do Packs have meeting during the summer?

I have a question. Do most or your packs have meeting such as pack and den meeting through the summer or do they shut down? We are planning 3 events as a pack. However, I was told that we were not having ANY meetings...pack or den. I really disagree with this. I believe that we need to keep up the pace during the summer to keep the boys interested and involved.

I am planning on having den meeting throughout the summer. That way, when the boys get "bored" they have their next rank to work on.

What do most of you do durng the summer?

Thanks,

Tim Dyer

Pack 56

Tyler56,

You offer a very limited choice. "Do you have Den meetings and Pack meetings or do you shut down."

Most packs I know don't do either. There is a middle ground. You can stay active but not have den or pack meetings per se.

Day camp

Family Camp

Dads and lads (Moms too)

Ice cream social

Clean-up project

4th of July Parade

Bowling party

Pack Picnic

Den Ice cream social

Webelos Hike

Rummage sale

etc. etc. etc...

So you can be active and not have den and pack meetings. I sure other posters will give you some other activity ideas.

Hope this helps,

Bob

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

When I was a Cubmaster (many moon ago) we set up our annual program so there was at least one activity per month during the summer. This way, we qualified for the Summertime award. We didn't have any regular meetings. We held our annual planning meeting in August & the pack ran full time from September through May.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Tim

Our Pack has planned at least 2 activities each month. This provides all the families an opportunity to attend at least one. We do not have Pack meetins and it is up to the Dens whether or not they want to meet. Our Webelos and Wolves are planning on meeting every other week during the summer.

In my opinion by having a bunch of fun stuff for the boys to do they will stay connected and also get to know boys that are not in their dens.

Paul

Bob,

My screen name is Tdyer56 not Tyler56.

Everyone else,

Thanks to everyone about the ideas on activites, but we have activites planned. I need to know about actual meetings. Is it wrong to have meetings through the summer for my den?(This message has been edited by tdyer56)

Coincidentally, I asked that same question at our Committee meeting last night, since I was curious. The response was basically that the Webelos continue meeting through the summer (since Webelos is a two-year level) and that they'll be working on various achievements on a fairly regular basis. The younger Scouts generally don't meet, although there is the area Cub Scout day camp that some of them attend. I don't think our Pack has ever tried for the summertime award.

It is never "WRONG" to have scout meetings! If it works for you and your den go for it.

Two of the reasons that many Packs do not run regular den and pack meetings: It is often very hard to get everyone together because of vacations; Pack leadership needs a vacation too to prevent burnout.

Remember that the boys can, and should be, working in their books with their parents during the summer. Also, activities run by the Pack are still considered Pack meetings. They might be very informal, but they are still meetings!

Sorry about the handle mix-up Tim. You know what they say "dyslexia strikes 5 every somebody minutes".

I'm with ScoutNut on this one. A year-round program is a good thing. How you do it and what you call it, is dependent on what works for your particular group.

Bob

That's okay Bob. It me happens to also. Thanks for the input. I have discussed it with my den parent and we will finish meeting this month and then take a break over the summer except for the planned event at the pack level. This will give me a chance to focus on my other positions and get them "down" before picking back up for fall.

Tim Dyer

Pack 56

• 1 month later...

Scouting at all program levels is a 12 month program. Parents pay annual dues and families deserve a 12 month program. Therefore, it is not wrong, and it is encouraged to have a year-round program. If that is to include den meetings and pack meetings, good for you! Most packs do not because they can't get the leaders to commit to continuing through the summer. Everyone wants a break. That is why many packs offer several summer activities that are not den or pack meetings, so they can offer a program and to earn the Pack Summertime award.

Check out the requirements for the Den Award in your Cub Scout Leader Book. It's been awhile since I read it, but this award is to encourage dens to maintain a 12 month program, I think.

If you have the energy, time, leadership support, and interested families to hold den and pack meetings throughout the year, go for it! You just may want to be flexible about attendance in the summer.

• 2 months later...

Our dens shut down for the summer (of which the den leaders are very thankful) but the Pack holds a monthly event. Next years summer events are:

June : Cub Scout night at Dodger Stadium of which our Pack is sponsoring

July: Camping trip to Yosemite National Park

Cub Scout Day Camp for our District is also in July.

August: Induction Campout at BSA Camp(This message has been edited by forestengr)

Our pack is experiencing something new -- shorter summer! Yep, our county is on a new school schedule. The kids are out of school for June and July, then we have a few one week breaks. We just had one in the middle of September. There will be another one in February. Along with Thanksgiving week, 2 weeks at Christmas/New Year's, and spring break in April.

This presents challenges to Boy Scout troops doing summer camp. It also presents a new twist for Cub Scouts. It is hard in our area to have den meetings the week the kids are out of school because most people go out of town, or at least the kids do. I send my son off to the grandparents for that week.