Cub Scout Neckerchief

Ah, the blue cub cap with the gold piping.

My pals in Den 1 thought they looked goofy in 1973. You couldn't have paid us to wear them! On the other hand, my son wants to wear his new Wolf cap to baseball practice.

We did like the instant recognition kits, though. As a brand-new Wolf Den Leader, I'm pleased to see they haven't changed much.

Jim

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ah, the blue cub cap with the gold piping.

My pals in Den 1 thought they looked goofy in 1973"

How the times change. In 1968, my pals in Den 1 wore ours with great pride. I'm glad that I missed the adjustable cap era.

Look at Baloo's Bugle on USSP to find some slide ideas.

One I made that was fun was from a limb about 1-inch in diameter. Slice of pieces of the limb. Then glue nature things on the circle, like acorns, pebbles, etc. You could also draw on them if you want. On the back I glued a small piece of leather string in a circle. You can also use a pipe cleaner on the back for the circle to put the neckerchief through.

Also, lots of things you can do with the empty film canisters. Such as a slide that is also a small first aid kit -- bandaid, antiseptic wipe, quarter and emergency numbers. Paint a red cross on the front.

A couple ideas --

Working on the whittlin' chip, I made blanks for the boys by cutting the profile of a boot and arrow head out of 3/4 white pine on the band saw. The boy whittled each to shape, used a black marker to make the laces and sole of the boot, and dipped them in water-base polyurethane for a finish. For the slide part, we hot-glued 3/4 plastic waterpipe onto the back. (Rough-up the pipe with sandpaper for a better stick.)

The best part of this idea was when I cut the blanks, I left a 3- or 4-inch "handle" attached to each-- at the top of the boot and at the blunt end of the arrow head. After finishing most of the carving, the boys used a small saw to cut off the handle. Not only did this save several fingers, but with little hands and relatively weak grips, it made the small slides easy to hold and carve.

#2-- Before Christmas, we made Christmas tree slides. I bought pre-cut 1 1/2-inch wooden trees at the local crafts store. They're in the section with all the little wooden parts. I think they cost less than 50 cents each. We painted them green and decorated them with gold thread for garland. I bought several colors of the small beaded garland which we cut apart and glued on for ornaments. We painted stars on the trees, but I sure if you dig around the crafts store, you can come up with ideas for decorations. Just think small. Used the same trick with the water pipe for the slide. These were a HUGE hit at the December Pack meeting.

• 1 month later...

For our Pack, we only require the regular uniform shirt (full patches and insignia) and the neckerchief. Blue jean pants/short or blue pant or short. No cap is required. They loose too many times and they don't wear them. As long as the Cub Scout or Scout uniform is worn and worn properly, to me, is all that matters. As long as the scout can identify himself with the Pack, Troop, or BSA is really what counts. As long as he is proud to wear it and knows that uniform stands for the ideals that he needs to follow and practice, is the key point. Mr. White and et. al. can challenge each other on the merit of the "official stands" all they want, but if I can get my boys to live by the codes and ideals of scouting then I have done my job as a scouter, as a parent, and as a citizen. To me BSA has a set of ideal way of scouting ... they will remain ideals. Reality is a whole different ball game; however, this does not give a scouter/leader a free interpretation of the safety codes and regulations. When it comes to this then all bets are off in changing and altering them to protect the boys and yourself; otherwise, do what you can (IMHO) to allow the boys to have fun! I will now get off the "soap box."

Tip: To keep the scout store neckerchief slide on ... fasten one side of the neckerchief to the slide using a safety pin, allowing the other side to slip in and out easily (safety purpose)!

Idea: Computer bug neckerchief slide (my boys in den 1 and den 8 love them). Get the outdated computer chips from a computer store or manufacturer (usually they can give you a "stick" of 12 chips). Cut 1/2" gray PVC pipe into 1" segments. Superglue (not hot glue) the Computer chip onto the 1" slide. Superglue the "googly" eyes (1 package of 20 for about $3) on the chip. Superglue one trash bag tie to the other end and curl it into a tail. Voila`, you have yourself a "computer bug" neckerchief slide. Total cost $3 (or $13 if you have to buy the chips).

YIS.

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

My BS Troop is looking for resources for making our own custom neckerchiefs. I've been searching for blanks in plain white fabric that we can die to match our class B uniforms.

I'd make them myself, but I like the piping around the edges and don't have the tools to do that.

I found one set of instructions for making square neckerchiefs. Does anyone use the square ones anymore? The ones we buy are triangular.

Our class B uniforms are green and yellow tie-died t shirts with our Troop Logo emblazoned on the back. We wear them when the official uniforms aren't required. Our class Bs are all the rage at summer camp! The kids love them.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jerry

Troop 400

Liverpool, NY

Ask around if any of the moms have a "serger" machine, which trims and binds the edge of a piece of fabric in one pass. I don't think you'll be embroidery-quality piping, but by using a contrasting color thread, you'll get a similar look. Honestly, I know next to nothing about this stuff, buy my mom has one of these machines and done similar projects for my dens. You may check with a local alterations shop to see if they can do it for you.

Thanks for the tip,Twocub.

My mom used to have a serger, but when she passed away, my father gave it to a neighbor. Maybe someone in my troop has one. I'm sure it would do the trick. Otherwise, I'll get a lot of hemming practice. :-)

JR