Webelos With Attitude

A couple of my Webelos 2 boys are starting to mouth off about not wanting to be boy scouts. They still show up for our den meetings because they want to earn their Arrow of Light. It's not so much that they seem to already have made up their minds, it's that they seem to have a need to constantly blab about it. On top of that, they are not making much of an effort to meet their AOL requirements, as if they expect to receive it in May just because they've lasted through the year. It's to the point that I'm worried their attitude is poisoning the well for those boys who want to continue in Scouting. Suggestions?

Doesn't sound like Scout behavior to me. I would meet with these boys & their parents away from the Pack & explain what has been going on. I would also explain where these Webelos stand as far as earning the AOL. This way, you are covered and there is less of a chance of this coming back to bite you in the future. Also, mom & dad might not be aware of what is going on.

If you aren't the Cubmaster or CC, I would get them in the loop so everyone is on the same page.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

I'm no Psychologist, and I don't play one on TV, but I have some experience with scout age kids.

I've seen kids handle stress in some pretty strange ways. Change, like leaving the known world of cubbing and joining the unknown world of Boy Scouts can be very stressfull.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that your scouts are apprehensive about growing up and are showing this through their attitude. Try getting them more contact with a Boy Scout and a scout leader at the troop they would be most likely to join. If they felt there was a friendly face or two waiting to help them make the transition, they might relax a little.

Just a thought.

Bob

Try getting a den chief from a local troop - i haven't had experience directly with this, but the one den in our pack that has one seens to like it.

Also, see if you can schedule visits to the scout troop for the den - maybe even do an overnight campout with just your den and the troop?

Some boys this age are starting to act like teenagers. They may think they are being "cool" or "tough" by rebelling against Boy Scouts and you the leader.

Like Bob W. says, they may be nervous. For the kids in our pack, they are also ending about to go to Middle School next year and are getting nervous about that as well.

I agree that a talk with the boys and the parents would be in order. As I've said in another thread, over the last couple of years I've seen a lot of parents who have decided that the boys don't need to even try Boy Scouts. Cub Scouts was just another item on the kid resume.

Good Luck.

I can relate to what Bob White said. As a kid, I was terrified at the prospect of moving from Webelos to Boy Scouts. We had no link to a Troop, no Den Chief, no visit to the Troop, and no joint activities. None of the boys in my Den bridged. I'd suggest setting up some opportunities for informal contact with the boys in the troop.

Bob you hit the nail on the head! When I was Cubmaster we has a Webelos den with a kid who the other scouts identified with as the "leader." His mom was the WDL and he was a bit of a moma's boy. He had the same attitude as CubsRgr8's. By the time for cross over he had convinced all but one of the 9 boys to shun Boy Scouts. BTW the one who crossed joined in the fall of 5th grade.

What to do. If these boys are group leaders they need to be turned around. Personal attention from the Den Chief (if you have one) would help. If not, and you are attending activities with a troop, then having some scouts from the troop single them out for some unique responsiblities that involves some quality time with a few Boy Scouts might excite them into the program. They could change from leading boy away from scouts into leading boys towards scouts.

Good luck

Scoutdad

My son's den had a parent requirement or requiring a parent to be at every den meeting (with an occasional lapse). All the parents in the den actively participated and we will graduat our entire den into scouts. As soon as a boy expressed any doubt about scouting, a parent was there to reinforce that scouting was where the real fun was - just wait...

Thank you one and all! I am planning boy/parent/leader conferences for this month; monthly visits to the nearby BSA troop; and focusing on fun activities for the remaining den meetings. Thanks again!