CUB SCOUT SOFTWARE

I'M THE AWARDS COORDINATOR FOR OUR PACK AND WE ARE LOOKING AT SEVERAL SOFTWARE PRODUCTS TO HELP MANAGE THE AWARDS/ADVANCEMENT. DOES ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS OR PREFERENCES? I HAVE CHECKED PRIOR FORUM DISCUSSIONS ON THIS TOPIC. THANKS.

My only experience is with Packmaster from Troopmaster Software Inc. (TSI) of Palmyra, VA. (804) 589-6788. While there are other brands of Scouting software available, I have always been happy with Packmaster and it's capabilities during the 2 years we've had it. The record keeping is incredible and it interacts with Troopmaster software.

This particular company also has accounting software for Packs and Troops that we have not utilized yet. If it's anything like Packmaster, we'll be making a purchase soon.

• 1 month later...

Our pack started with recordkeeper.com software about 9 months ago. I havn't heard much other feedback on it, but it's pretty easy to use, the licence covers the whole pack, and it's cross-platform. They had a demo version availible for download from the website.

• 1 month later...

Hi, our pack uses a tool that is freeware. You can find it at :

geocities.com/yosemite/9152/cub-tracker.html

Each den does their own record keeping, and prints out the summary for advancement, then turns that in to the Advancement Chairman. It's easy to use and it's free!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a user of Packmaster for many years and I think it's great. But... like any software package or documentation you need to have someone committed to keeping it up for it to be useful. I also have Troopmaster and both packages have lots of features to help with your pack or troop management of scouts, adults, activities and advancement.

There are demos for you to look at before buying.

• 1 month later...

I am the advancement chair and records keeper for my pack. We use packmaster, and I think it is the best. I looked at several other programs before recommending this one to the committee. It does require you to be on top of the input of information.

• 2 weeks later...

I have started using a program call Rank N File. It is a pretty in depth software. It tracks all achievements for bobcat, wolf, bear and webelos. Also tracks electives, badges, positions (e.g. denner etc). You can import photos, print form letters, advancement reports, multiple report options. Also prints rechartering forms and you can upload to scout net. There are many more options I haven't listed. There is also an add on program called ledger that tracks finances, dues, fos, fund raisers etc.

• 7 months later...

Our pack successfully implemented ScoutTrack.com last September. Unlike single-user spreadsheets, this system is web-based so parents, den leaders, and the advancement coordinator can all work together to ensure that Cub Scouts complete requirements and then receive their badges on time. ScoutTrack supports not just ranks, but also immediate recognition beads, arrow points, Webelos activity pins, and anniversary pins. It has been a huge time-saver for us and it eliminates much of the delays and confusion we used to have in getting ready for pack meetings and the Blue & Gold Banquet.

The URL is www.scouttrack.com. Let me know if I can provide further information.

Chuck Langenhop

Committee Chairman and Advancements Coordinator

Pack 1112, Plano, TX

• 2 months later...

Anyone else have opinions on this? We're also beginning the search for a software package - have identified Packmaster, Rank-N-File, and Scout RecordKeeper as regular software possibilities, and scouttrack.com as a potential online alternative. I can see pluses and minuses to both directions, and would love to hear some of your experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

Parents can mark off any requirements. If the Webelos DL feels strongly that he needs to approve completion of all requirements, it would be best not to provide parents with login capability. In our pack, some DL's allow parents to use ScoutTrack, but they still oversee badges earned and can follow up with a parent if they are uncomfortable with what they see (e.g. ten Webelos Activity Badges earned in one month). In other dens, the DL's are restrictive and update ScoutTrack themselves or else with the help of a designated ScoutTrack Admin (could be the Assistant Den Leader.)

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

CL, Thanks. That's what I figured.

The online thing looks great IF all your leaders agree to use it. The key to any system (automated or not) is that people have to use it. We have leaders that don't check their email, so I can't expect them to update software.

For my dens I've been using the Excel tracking spreadsheets found at the Cub Scout Virtual Leader's website. I printout the "detail" sheet that lists all the scouts and carry that to meetings. Then I can just check off the requirements that have been met. Much easier than writing them all down.

ScoutMom, you're right about needing everyone to use it. Implementing this kind of system with volunteers can be touchy. We gave our dens two months to start using it, with the understanding that Advancements Coordinators would no longer accept paper forms. If that's an arbitary decision, DL's will turn in forms anyway. What made ScoutTrack.com work for us was the way it tracks and shares history with all the leaders, allowing really effective collaboration. It provides a higher comfort level for the DL's - if they mark off requirements for a badge, we order it and make sure that it is presented at the next pack meeting. Another benefit is that ScoutTrack.com automatically shows badges earned that might otherwise be missed, such as instant recognition beads, service stars (with the right year), arrow points, Webelos compass points, and the World Conservation Award. The Advancements Committee is also more effective because we can pay more attention to adult service stars, recruiting patches, summertime activities pins, perfect attendance awards, religious awards, and so forth.

It has to be a win-win, obvously. If the DL's see it as more work for them and less work for the AC, then it won't work. If the see that better collaboration means a richer program with more recognition, then it can definitely work.

If you haven't made a decision yet, I would recommend the 30-day trial. (I'm assuming you are your pack's Advancements Coordinator.) You can learn the screens and develop a plan for how to best present it at a DL meeting. If you like it and the DL's are open to trying it, then get the one year license and move forward. You could technically use ScoutTrack.com by yourself, but your Excel spreadsheet may continue to meet your needs just fine.

I'm the advancement chair for a pack of about 70 scouts. Just prior to the September pack meeting, I received 4 emails, 1 phone call, and 3 hand-scribbled notes detailing each den's advancement. After that experience, I checked out ScoutTrack.com and decided it was worth it (especially for the consolidated reports it generates). So far, I've implemented it for the Tiger, Wolf and Bear dens as a leader-based system. Next, I'll expand access to include those parents. For Webelos, it will definitely be a leader-based system only. I see only positives with this product, and for $30/year, I know it will spare me a lot of grief (not to mention gray hairs!).

Great news, ScoutMom. ScoutTrack.com received an upgrade today to allow pack leaders to restrict parents to only viewing their sons' advancements. In other words, parents can be allowed to update progress toward rank or belt loops or else only be given "view only" access. Since this security is set up in ScoutTrack.com by den, you could have it "view only" for Webelos, but allow parents of the younger Cubs to do updates.

An unrelated but really nice feature implemented today is a pack calendar.