I am a Tiger Cub Group coach, and I need help with a graduating den. The pack that I am affiliated with only runs the program through the regular school year. Our Charter Organization would probably not sponser us for summer meetings at den leader's homes. Our committee would like us to graduate our tiger cubs into a wolf den at the end of the year. I have worked with each boy and would like for them to receive their Bobcat badge at the same time. The committee says that they should not receive it untill the following year so that boys coming into the pack can see the acomplishment. Several of my Tiger parents have approached me and said that they will switch packs next year. This is partly because they feel that these awards should be received when earned? How do we please both the pack committee, as well as the pack parants, so we do not lose members?

Mr. Buckner,

I need to address your posting in order...

First of all, your chartering organization sponsors your Pack the entire year including summer. It doesn't matter where you meet. It's just important THAT you meet. Keep in mind that Packs can earn the National Summertime Pack Award for having an activity in June, July and August. Dens can earn an award too.

Regarding when to have a Tiger graduation - I suggest you have it during a Pack meeting near the end of the school year, either in April or May. Make it a special ceremony, similiar to a Webelos-to-Boy Scout crossover because it's a big deal. Depending on your Pack's budget, you could present the Tigers with their Wolf book and scarf and slide. There are lots of ceremonies available to you in Scouting publications. Use them "as is" or utilize them to create your own.

Then, divide (if necessary) your Tigers into Wolf dens and get them into their Wolf books. Have them work on their Bobcat and other Wolf requirements during the summer, then present the boys their Bobcat badges in a special Bobcat badge ceremony at the first or second Pack meeting of the following school year. A proper ceremony will give the boys a "prideful moment" in front of the group as they receive their first badge and will give the parents a nice photo opportunity.

As for the parents who want to change Packs, you will never please them all, but if you have good ceremonies and their son gets properly rewarded, my experience says they will appreciate and respect your efforts.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with most of what P_Swigs had to say. From Tigers to Webelos, we awarded the patch when earned. I believe this tended to keep the fast achievers moving ahead and encourage the slower ones to keep plugging away. I think the graduation ceremony should be in the spring, definitely. We awarded them their next neckerchief and book so they could get started on the next rank in the summer. It is important to do something in the summer to maintain momentum. Your pack committee should not delay the award over the summer in order to impress incoming Tigers.