need derby decoration ideas

If you have the time before the derby, try contacting sponsors of actual race teams. Examples: Texaco, Penske Racing, Interstate Batteries. If you explain what that you are looking for decorations for a cub scout pine wood derby, sometimes they will send items that make great decorations or even prizes for the scouts. I have had success in getting actual race flags, posters, bumper stickers etc. and it made the night special for the cubs.

Good luck!

One of our hit decorations and cheap too was car lot sale penants, you know all the penants on binding strung around the top of car lots to catch attention. Also tires piled up look great. Lots of people have old tires, some have racing tires, some dealerships would lend you tires. Good luck. Start your engines.

I might suggest you contact your local NAPA store. I operate a store in my town and find that no matter how hard I try to use all the promotional items sent to me I always have things left over. Each year I donate toy cars, posters, stickers and banners to a few of the local Packs. Most of the NAPA managers I have spoken with have shown a willingness to do the same. Who knows maybe some free stuff is just a call away. Also one year we were able to get a local racer to donate a couple pair of used slicks. Kept the children not racing busy. Good luck.