rank requirements for activities

Maybe i'm interpreting it wrong, but the statement was first year scouters aren't allowed to go to klondike (in Pennsylvania at a ski resort). I understand the issue of newly crossed over campers, but these boys crossed over this month and will have been with the troop for almost a year when the next klondike occurs. Oh well - i've got to ask anyway just to satisfy myself.

Thanks for the replies

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought. We all throw out these acronyms like "JLTC" but don't always indicate exactly what we are talking about.

Are you referring to "troop" JLTC or "district" JLTC or maybe "council" JLTC???

For newly crossed over Webelos a district or counncil JLTC may well be over their heads (content and maturity wise) but a troop JLTC would be right up their alley to encourage and prepare them for their scout positions in the future.

Here in Texas, where I am from, they treat Council JLTC much like Woodbadge where you are expected to have taken SM Basics and worked awhile at your position before taking it.

Could be the same for the scouts and JLTC.

The only restrictions our troop ever imposes, with the exception of age restrictions for High Adventure activities, Is that to attend either summer camp or a High Adventure activity, the scout must attend at least 2/3 of our troop meetings for the year and at least 4 of our 8 weekend campouts. For crossover Webeloes we say they must attend 2 out of our 4 spring weekend campouts.

We were running into a problem years ago to where we were acting like a travel agency for kids who were "inactive" during the year but were always there to sign up for the big summer trips. This policy was set by the PLC, and is reviewed every year and has worked well

Gray Fox,

JLTC stands for Junior Leader Training Conference, it is a week long in depth training for junior leaders first class and above. It exposes them to the 11 Leadership skills and is run very much like Woodbadge. The boys I've sent have really improved their skills, come back all pumped up, and most important have a shared training experience with the other senior scouts in other troops. This provideds a continuity through out the council. It is run on a Council level. Troop level and District level Junior Leader Training is usually refered to as JLT and should be open to every scout.

Ed and Mike - about having new scouts come out during the day to participate - Just had an idea that might help Mike out with the problem of keeping up with them. Require the "day-trippers" to be essentially a separate unit, naturally requiring 2-deep leadership. So two someone elses (probably an ASM and a parent) will be responsible to gather them up, get them there at a given time, and get them home at a given time. I think you are absolutely right not to want individual scouts wandering in and out, transported by their miscellaneous parents. That way lies insanity!

SagerScout I would not have a problem with that at all. I'd love it if they all came and went at the same time. Unfortunately that was never the case.

The situation I had was just like you described. One Scout would come out Friday night and leave for a 10am to noon ball game. Another would be an afternoon game. Still another would roll up Saturday morning and leave mid afternoon. And so on and so on. My problem was not only with kids, even my adults would do this juggling game. I once had a trip where five ASMs and myself attended. I was only one who was there all weekend. The entire time we had the required adult leadership but I was going nuts trying to keep everything moving smoothly. Even my youth leadership was exasperated. Then parents have the audacity to ask why their Scout wasn't advancing as quickly as the Scouts who attended regularly.

Of course those who came and went took great exception to me and the PLC saying no more.

Juggling kids activities is definately a hard thing to do but sometimes parents and Scouts need to realize that you can't just chop up everything into small chunks and get the complete benefit.

Mike,

The juggling is part of learning about life. You can't do it all. I tell my son he has to make some compromises between scouting and basketball/baseball. I agree if you are going to attend an event, then be there..not worrying about what time you have to leave. As a parent, it would drive me nuts to be at a campout and worrying about when to leave to go to the ballgame. I've seen parents do it. The boy doesn't get the whole experience from a weekend of camping and I doubt he was at his top performance at the ballgame because of rushing between the two. You are right that you can't chop it up into small chunks and get the whole benefit.

Long Haul,

My apologies. I know better but my wayward typing fingers just got in a rut and kept typing "JLTC" over and over again!

Of course JlTC stands for ...Conference (Council) and JLT stands for troop and district training just as NJLIT stands for National Junior Leader in Training.

I'm afraid I was more interested in making a distinction between the three levels and perhaps the ages/ranks of the scouts taking part in those different levels of training than I was with the initials used for those levels.

I have staffed at all three levels and their content is indeed very different.

Remember also that different regions of the US call their JLTC by different names. White Stag, Brownsea and Marin Sierra come to mind from my time in California.

Now that I've cleared up that mistake in typing...

Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend?

Mike,

I'm with you on the Scouts coming & going from events. I like it when the Troop travels together. I do understand that kids are involved in more than one thing theses days. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Grey Fox,

I think you are close, but what you describe may be a local variation. National BSA recognizes 5 levels of Boy Scout Junior Leader Training.

The first three levels are done on a troop level by the Scoutmaaster or designated adult leaders. They are

1. Introduction to Leadership (an initial breafing to job responsibilities immediatel;y upon taking office)

2. Troop Junior Leader Training (a one day workshop conucted by the Scoutmaster)

3. Ongoing Junior Leader Training

The next step is a council level training

4. Junior Leader Training Conference (JLTC) (A weeklong experience using trained junior leaders to train the scouts, as you say the name changes in some areas but they all use the JLTC course)

The last level is NJLIC, which is conducted at Philmont Traing Center and stands for

5. National Junior Leader Instructor Camp (this is where the key junior leaders for JLTC are trained)

These are the only Junior Leader Training opportunities which are recognized nationally and that have standardized training syllabii.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob,

My district runs a course titled LLT - Learned Leadership Training. It is a pre-JLT course. I have staffed this course & it is a great prep course for JLT.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1(This message has been edited by evmori)

Ed,

I am sure there are many local variations of training. Many I'm sure are very good. I know we have scouters veiwing this forum from different countries and I was just correcting some info on what our training courses were and what the abbreviations stood for.

Bob