rank requirements for activities

Is there a BSA guideline on rank required to go to certain activities - i know you have to be 13 or 1st class for JLTC, but what about going to the klondike or webelos woods (on the scout side)? (maybe after i finish the SM training i'll know, but that's not for another month or so).

Thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quixote,

As far as I know, there are no rank requirements for activities other than the ones you listed & Jamboree. There might be some skill requirements like being a swimmer to go on a canoe trip.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Ed,

the reason i ask is there is a requirement in my son's new troop that 1st year scouts can't go to klondike - maybe he meant you had to have your 1st class, but even so, i didn't understand the reason behind the restriciton. I'll have to ask him about that - in the meanwhile i was just wondering if there was some special requirement for klondike.

YIS

Quixote

Quixote,

Hmm..... wonder why a SM wouldn't want a Scout to go to a Klondike??????? Maybe he feels the new Scout(s) will only hamper the Troop & they won't do as well????????

If this is the case, the Troop is going to the Klondike for the worng reasons.

As far as an age requirement for Klondike, I know of none. It sounds like this is a Troop requirement which is perfectly within the Troops power!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

National has some requirements for High Adventure activities and some High Adventure Camps, but Klondike Derby? Why would a troop tell a scout they can't go to a scout activity that they are eligible to attend. That shows some strange priorities.

Bob

PS

JLT eligibility varies by council. The limitiations you suggest may exist where you live, but they are not a national requirement.

I can see and agree with age and/or rank requirements for High Adventure or other activities where physical size and experiece/maturity are necessary, but a Klondike Derby? Is it a High Adventure styled Derby?

That sounds like a troop or troop leader adding requirements.

All the JLT's I've seen here are open to any Scout who wants to go and learn about leadership. I prefer they go as soon as they can.

I once had some parents who wanted to not allow ANY first year scouts to go to summer camp because of possible homesickness. That didn't happen.(This message has been edited by Mike Long)

It is definately a troop imposed limitation - I can't say i understand the reason behind it because i don't know, nor have i asked, but was just wondering if this is common to others' expreiences.

On the hi-adventure front, i understand because of the dangers involved as well as additional maturity needed.

In my Troop, we take all the Scouts that are able to attend any event! By not taking the new Scouts, I feel it is sort of saying "you don't matter". And that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Are they allowed to go to summer camp?

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

I agree with Ed completly

I'd ask them about it and to explain why it's necessary.

The only restrictions I ever impose on eligability for trips is for high adventure or because of behaviour issues.(This message has been edited by Mike Long)

Yes, the new scouts are allowed to go to camp, but not JLTC in August.

I'll find out more in the near future i'm sure - like most, when he crossed over, so did i (at least after i finish my committment to the Pack for the rest of the year).

The only reason I can think of to restrict attendence at a Klondike is the winter camping angle. If the Scoutmaster dosen't feel the newly crossed over webelos are experienced enough to safely camp in cold weather he might restrict it. We have had some really cold Klondikes where I'm at. For us this isn't a problem because the Klondike is held before the crossover.

Well Ed, I for one hate when kids show up late and leave early on campouts. It is extremely hard for me to keep track of the boys. Some scouts do fine with it but most folks despite SEVERAL discussions can't seem to be bothered to inform me of their comings and going and never seem to arrive on time and it always disrupts the program.

I don't outlaw it but I'm not going to encourage it.