den leader/assistant cub master

this is my 2nd year as a leader. last year we had virtually 100% participation from parents and kids in my den. it was an excellent year!! this year, we have some new kids who perhaps will come to a meeting and their parents are not really involved. i have attempted to speak to the new parents by phone, sent a news letter and am not sure what to do next to get to these parents. their lack of interest causes problems for their kids regarding dues, outings and the level of detail done at the meeting. i am very spoiled, i guess, by the excellent year we just had. i want to repeat that but i feel like i am always chasing after some kids and families and cant concentrate on providing quality activities......HELP!!!!!!

Try assigning them duties, make them responsible for their sons success or failure within the program. In our dens we use guilt as a powerful tool. Parents do not like to think they are letting their kids down. (It may sound extreme, but if used properly it works wonders!) Let them know upfront that you will not hold their hands. As long as you are publishing your information in a timely manner it will be up to them to follow through.

Good Luck, I'm sure others will agree that this is not a new problem.

Mike

Cubmaster Pack 882

I agree with the other response, that you should assign parents to help with stuff. Make an effort to contact the slacker parents and make it clear (tactfully) that the Cub Scout program is designed for the parents to work with

the boy and unless this takes place, advancement will not be possible. Keep an activity in your "hip pocket" in case a parent does not come through at a scheduled den meeting.