Cub Scout Day Camp Nature Station Ideas

Hi -

I am looking for any ideas of what to do for a nature theme for a cub Scout day camp next week. Just found out tonight that I was put in charge of the nature station and so I am posting for ideas. We can do a nature hike and have a scavenger hunt, hike and point out types of trees, plants, shrubs, etc....not sure what else? Have a capture the "tree/flag" game in the woods? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

-Victor

How about

1. Make an insect zoo

2. Make a terrarium

3. Make a lightning bug lantern

4. Take a plaster cast of animal tracks

5. Take a break during a hike and sit as quiet as possible - afterward talk about all the nature sounds they heard.

6. Push a foot-long stick into the ground. Look at the shadow. Put another stick at the end of the shadow. Check back later to see if the shadow moved. Discuss why?

7. Pick up litter while hiking.

8. Discuss fire safety.

Are you familar with Kims Game, The memory testing game where the participants as groups observe the items on display for a period of time, and then the items are covered up and then the group must list them.

within a time period.

I have used a variant of it using Nature items on a table with a tag telling what the item is. They can look at the display for 30 seconds. Then they turn around and the tags are removed. The judge then gives the group the tags and has them put them back where they should go. ( use an answer sheet for the judge ). Most correect wins. Use BOLD type written text not hand written text on the tags.

The items should be varied with most of them being something that a boy of this age level should know what it is, like a pine cone, for diffuiculty factor have two different pine trees cones displayed. Your items should fit your locale. They do not all have be flora and fauna I sometimes use different types of rocks, Quartz crystals seem to distract the boys so dont use them. they think they are diamonds. Turtle shells are really an attention getter also. I usually display no more than 25 items. Leaves wilt and turn brown, if you use them have extras, you can keep them iced in a cooler till needed. I always have a display of poisionous plant(s), but keep it in a plastic zip lock bag, but to make it interesting put a maple leaf in another bag. YOU MUST have some real whoppers for a few items, this will help establish a winner. Just for fun and to watch the boys think real hard I have sometimes had two of the same thing but of different size Big leaf, little leaf.

I use a grid on a sheet of plywood to display the items with each block numbered and then a scoring sheet for the judge. It is a timed event.

Depnding on your crowd have more than one station but they must be exact duplicates.

Arrange for prizes for the participants, games are no fun if you don't win a prize.

Have fun

JB

If you are not in an area that lends itself to a nature hike you can still combine nature with a hike around your available area. Take a dozen or so empty coffee cans and place some kind of nature item in each one. (Pine cone, Birds nest, acorns, etc.) Place the cans around your hike area and as you come to each one stop and explain and or discuss the contents. This is a good way to use up your available time as I have found that trying to sit and talk to Cub age boys is kind of frustrating. By discussing the items as you come to them you avoid long periods of just talking. Good Luck

• 7 years later...

Excavating through layers of ancient posts, I discovered this very early thread from the "paleolithic" era of SCOUTER.com. :)

I had completely forgotten about Kim''s game (see above). It is always great fun! How many of you have played this? I think I will suggest it to our PLC for a possible activity on the next campout.

Try contacting your local conservation department, Missouri has a reverse cast available so you can actualy cast the animal footprints, then quiz them on the critters takes about an hour to set if you do the plaster paris right.

YIS

Doug Buth