National Camping School

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before "leadership skills," the purpose of Wood Badge was to train Scoutmasters to how teach the best Patrol Leaders how to physically lead their Patrols into the backwoods. Scouts learned their skil

Anyone who serves as a director at most summer camps are required to go to NCS. Some Director spots require NCS certified folks, i.e. COPE, Swiming, Shooting Sports, etc and some do not, i.e. Chaplain, Camp Commissioner, etc.

I had both times at NCS, COPE and CSDC. Just wondering where I can get another Cub Scout NCS patch.

I did NCS for Outdoor Skills Directors, at Hawk Mountain, Pa., in 1998. With one or two exceptions, everyone in the program could have taught the bulk of the course. I did pick up a few neat skills and tricks, but the real value came from the informal conversations with my counterparts about their camps, program offerings, etc.

The time - a solid week - and cost really make it impractical for use as a unit leader skills program. I think most councils would be well served running a series of Saturday workshops on different skills throughout the year. That way a Coast Guard lieutenant commander doesn't have to waste his time "learning" knots, for example.

" I think most councils would be well served running a series of Saturday workshops on different skills throughout the year"

Long time ago there used to be something like this called Show An Do or "Showando" as I heard it pronounced once. It was a day long event where people demonstrated Scout Skills for adults then the adults got a chance to actually practice the skill. I can't remember when it stopped, maybe back in the 90's.

You know, I bet there'd be some interest in having various modules taught at Roundtable. I'll bring that up at my local Roundtable on the 6th. There wouldn't be any additional certification that people could earn, but people might be interested in getting more practice in knots, splicing, etc.

I could have sworn that if you needed T-2-1 skills (pioneering, knife/ax, lashing, knots, etc.) those were skills specifically addressed in IOLS (Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills) - a local course - required for Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters, Varsity Coaches and Assistants.

We also taught most of these in the old Scoutmaster Fundamentals class (which was one course, covering both classroom and campout).

Honestly, I have told many new ASM to get a copy of an old BS Handbook (late 60s, early 70s) and "work" the requirements for T-2-1 - and get a copy of the Fieldbook from the same era. Just takes a little practice to learn the same skills.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I got BSALT, IOLS and NCS/NDCS (National Day Camp School) Range-, Program- and Camp Director.

Looking for BASIC skills at NCS is wrong.

How to set up a pack/troop camp site you should learn at IOLS (if you didnt learn it as a youth in scouts ...)

NCS is for DIRECTORS, so advanced and not basic.

I learned a lot for camps and programms for more than 100 or 200 scouts.

It is not the job of the Program Director to actually teach anything but to organize the teachers and curriculum.

Of course you should know the backpacking and cooking 101 that you expected others to teach, so if need be

you can show the Merit Badge Counselors or whatever. You need to know the requierments for the badges and

the adults who have the skills to pass them on.

The NCS folder we got is the size of a big city phone book, no kidding. Talking about BSA regulations and stuff.

I can only advise anyone willing to take it one step further to go to NCS. Well worth the time (and I spent more on travel to "camp" than the actual course cost).

What about powder horn. That seems like a skills course.

http://www.powderhorn-bsa.org/dates.html

Seems like an HA overview course to me, not a in depth skills course. It sounds Interesting and fun but $250 is steep.

This page has links to more information on the St. Louis one next year.

http://www.stlbsa.org/training/Pages/powderhorn.aspx

What about powder horn. That seems like a skills course.

http://www.powderhorn-bsa.org/dates.html

Powder horn is to allow Venture crew advisors to learn how to conduct or plan a trip....

You are not taught any skills, but how to find people with skills to do your program.

I did powder horn a couple of years ago.....It was scouting without the boys....It was fun, had a good time, met some great people....

Learn anything, not so much.....

• 3 weeks later...

So I went digging thrue storage. Wont copy the entire thing (1,000 pages LOL) but wanted to add some bullets points: a bit out of order, sorry. Any specific questions just ask ^o^

BSA Northeast Region

National Camping School

Cub Scout Camping

-Camp Health and Safety (64 pages)

-Day Camp Administration (130 pages)

-National Standards for local council precamp and operational accreditation of cub scout/webelos scout day camp (12 pages)

-Outdoor Program Guidelines (8+12 pages)

-Annual Health and Medical Record -Belt Loops/Pin Certification

-Cub Outdoor Activity Award/National Summer Time Pack Award

-OA

-Campfire Program

-Fireguard Plan

-Safety Afloat/Safe Swim Defense/Safety Afloat Training Outline

-Duty to God

-Cub Scout Character Development -

age appropriate guidelines for scouting activites

-Scouts with Disabilites and Special Needs

-OSHA laws that affect camps and conferences

-Leave no Trace

-Cub Scout Visitation Team Training Guide (administrative guide for local councils)

-case study workbook Day Camp Administration -Camp Program Ideas (81 pages)

-Guide to Safe Scouting, unit leaders guide for current policies and procedures (80 pages)

-Day Camp Staff Training (45 pages)

-Camp Program & Property Management (probably 200 pages)

-Shooting Sports for Cub Scouts (52 pages) -administrative guide cub camps, (55 pages)

-budget sheets, cash receipts, check request,

-Unit and Event Log

That, in a nutshell, is NCS/NDCS.

I think the cost was not much at all, considerung so much paper and all the food was included.

Learned a bunch and met a bunch of cool scouters - what more do you want to ask for?

So I went digging thrue storage. Wont copy the entire thing (1,000 pages LOL) but wanted to add some bullets points: a bit out of order, sorry. Any specific questions just ask ^o^

BSA Northeast Region

National Camping School

Cub Scout Camping

-National Standards for local council precamp and operational accreditation of cub scout/webelos scout day camp (12 pages)

-OA

-Campfire Program

-Fireguard Plan

-Duty to God

-Leave no Trace

-Cub Scout Visitation Team Training Guide (administrative guide for local councils)

-Guide to Safe Scouting, unit leaders guide for current policies and procedures (80 pages)

-Shooting Sports for Cub Scouts (52 pages) -administrative guide cub camps, (55 pages)

-Unit and Event Log

I think the cost was not much at all, considerung so much paper and all the food was included.

Learned a bunch and met a bunch of cool scouters - what more do you want to ask for?

Yours probably doesn't have the section about how lifeguards shouldn't use whistles. :(

BSA Northeast Region

National Camping School

Cub Scout Camping

-OA

-Campfire Program

-Fireguard Plan

-Duty to God

-Leave no Trace

-Unit and Event Log

actually no I just checked again and didnt find that?

I now have my whisle landyard rolled into my NZ neckerchief so my BSA whistle is always below my 2 slides (1 BSA & 1NZS) 8-)

BSA Northeast Region

National Camping School

Cub Scout Camping

-OA

-Campfire Program

-Fireguard Plan

-Duty to God

-Leave no Trace

-Unit and Event Log

So yours is outdated. Evidently someone took the time to come to conclude against conferring an undue sense of authority on a guard.

I spent my guard duty while recertifying twirling a rescue tube on it's strap. A little tougher than a lanyard, but the only way I could think to protest.