"Medical Marijuana" @ Scout Camp

In Washington State we have faux state legalization of marijuana through "medical marijuana." Of course marijuana remains illegal under Federal law, and the state laws don't have actual prescriptions, but permissions of various kinds available from various "health care providers."

In practice, anyone who wishes can receive permission by being referred to a compliant "health care provider" through a referral from someone selling marijuana.

It's a fake and dishonest system ---- a back door legalization scheme.

Anyway, I asked the medic at Scout Camp if he had seen any medical marijuana "prescriptions" and what he would do if he got one. He said he hadn't seen any, but if he was handed a prescription for marijuana by a Scout he would approve it as a matter of routine.

How should Scouting treat this kind of "medical marijunana" issue?(This message has been edited by seattlepioneer)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Great question!

I'd think it would be the same as - although this may not be covered anywhere either - just like any narcotic prescription.

Isn't there some sort of rulling, wether National, G2SS or at least by council ...that any substance ....even if with prescription...that alters behavior or awareness of reality ( I forget the right legal or medical term here...) would be not allowd or disqualify a person from atending?

Okay, my statement is vague, but I know what I mean! :)

Suspose I hade a prescription for a codeine pill and maybe even valium. Isn't there some sort of rule, worded in some way to say that I dusing, or under the influence of that drug, I cannot do or perform or participate in certain activities?

Kinda like you can't drive or operate machinery or equipment while using or when you "could" "potentially be" under the influence or affects of that drug or substance.

I could go to the dentist and have 3 wisdom teeth cut out. Maybe I am a super dedicated CM and decide I am still going to camp. So to control the pain, I take three 500/10 codiene pills a day.

Then I decide to teach my scouts to swim in 10 feet of water . Studid and recklless..but it's the drugs screwing up my thining.

I have no doubt that somewhere, somehow - this is covered.

And I have no doubt that when I get arrested and sued, that the council will also be liable and have some explaining to do.

Seeing as how marijuanna will afect anybody's preception and motors skills and whatnot, I see that this can put any and all other people in te camp at risk of harm and death.

Sucks for the scout, but the greater good of the people take priority over somebody being able to camp.

Now, on a side note, isn';t this for either glaucoma or extreme pain?

I'd think the scout or leader in question would be either too "blind" or too much pain to even want to go to camp.

But that's just my own inexperienced line of thinking.

I guess what I meant to say is I'd draw the line as a CM in my pack and tell the responcible parent/guardian that they ( parent or scout or leader) would have to stay home .

I suppose the DE, SE, or COR could override that, but I'd tell them that they (the SE, DE or COR ) would need to be there and in attendance of and tending to that person.

Glad this is a hypothetical.

A health officer probably has to treat one prescription (whether you think it valid or not) just as any other.

As a Scoutmaster, I think I have to look at the bigger picture and -- I believe -- have a little more descretion and responsibility to dealing with the situation.

'Fish makes a good point. You have to ask if it is safe to have someone under the influence of anything on an outing.

But you're naive not to consider the baggage that goes with medical marijuana. I don't know much about it, but what I do know makes it hard to imagine a parent obtaining a prescription for a child.

I would be asking a whole lot of questions of a whole lot of people -- COR, council and/or national BSA folks, my own attorney.

One thought which crosses my mind is that at our camp the adult troop leaders are responsible for dispensing prescriptions to the Scouts. Who is willing to sign on for that? What happens when the feds show up?

Given the fact that all medications are held by the camp health officer who usually bunks with a myriad of 18-21 year old college kids. My guess is that particular prescription would "get lost" very quickly. :)

Prescribed medication is prescribed medication. It should be up to a medical professional to make such a call - NOT the average camp health officer, who is generally NOT a medical professional.

If the concern here is about having one's judgment impaired, then shouldn't Scouting ban - just as a random example - Valium given to treat insomnia, because it has certain side effects?

On the other hand, since it's clear SP's "concern" is about drugs and "faux state legalization," then he has the right and the ability to pull his son from a program that would approve of such activity.

I'm as solid an anti-drug person as anyone on these boards. But I don't believe the BSA should be making its own rules about medical practice - leave that to the doctors. Especially not when the real "concern" has to do with politics.

Washington's law covers a very small range of health issues, including cancer; HIV; multiple sclerosis; epilepsy or other seizure disorder or spasticity disorder; intractable pain unrelieved by standard medical treatments and medications; glaucoma; Chrons disease with debilitating symptoms; hepatitis C with debilitating nausea or intractable pain; diseases (including anorexia) which result in nausea, vomiting, wasting, appetite loss, cramping, seizures, muscle spasms or spasticity.

By all means, let's tell the Scoutmaster suffering from glaucoma that he can't accompany his troop to summer camp because medical marijuana is the only thing that dampens the pain. You want to have that conversation, SP?

Guys this is a non issue - BSA does not allow Marijuana at all wether prescription or not. The current Guide to Safe Scouting states:

"It is unacceptable for anyone to use or be under the influence of medical marijuana at or during any Scouting activity."

Makes it pretty clear...

Seems like the G2SS is a lot more understanding of just about any other drug use simply asking us to understand addiction and what can be done to help without the heavy hitting lauguage.

I don't believe there is any medical benefit from Marjiuana that cannot be obtained in Pill form which they do make. If there was an actual need medically for it (which I doubt there is any) it can be obtained as a pill.

Hello Shortridge,

While medical marijuana SOUNDS like an ordinary health issue, it isn't.

Physicians don't write out a standard prescription. As a practical matter, marijuana stores have sprung up widely and provide referrals to health care providers who are known to write authorizations for marijuana after cursory examinations for pretty much anyone who cares to hand them a line about the intractable pain they suffer or whatever.

Not surprisingly, it's a racket.

I was interested in the Guide to Safe Scouting references prohibiting medical marijuana. Presumably the medic I talked to hadn't heard of that.

Yah, these medical marijuana laws are a mess. They're an odd back-door legalization route, and we're seein' fairly dramatic increases in use by young people.

Adam S gave da current official BSA policy, but it's complimicated, eh? :p Camps are licensed by da state, and it's unclear whether states can or will respond to camps ignorin' state law by taking licensing action against da camp. This sort of thing is best left to da judgment of local folks consulting with competent local counsel rather than blindly relyin' on a national policy written by rank amateurs. It's like walkin' through a cow pen. Easy to step on somethin' that really stinks ;).

Scoutfish is also right, that there are a lot of more ethically and legally sound prescriptions that can affect judgment, motor skills and such. The practice in Scouting is to leave participation decisions up to the physician and the individual / boy's parents. The last thing we want is some young camp medic tryin' to overrule the boy's or adult's licensed physician.

Beavah