Cell Phone at Summer Camp

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Durn cell phone worked at camp this year.   Fortunately it was utterly useless on our week at Seabase Bahamas.   I consider home to be where the cell phone has no bars. I try to get back ther

Scouts simply don't need phones in camp. The whole reason for going to camp is to build self-assurance, develop new friendships and enjoy the outdoors away from technology. Leave the communication wit

how about setting up a ham radio relay with a leader or parent that isn't on the trip? The boys can send Morse code messages home so mom knows they are ok. it's a novelty they might learn someth

Maybe the guys are posting to their own Facebook accounts (I'm generally don't "friend" Scouts) or some other site I'm unaware of. But they're not posting it to a troop FB page set up for that purpose or sending them to the troop historian.

"Out of the blue" I have had parents call me asking me to check on their son because they were really cold the night before or had an ear ache and they wanted to come pick him up. I've also had summer camp MB counselors telling they were marking kids "absent" because they listened to music the entire class. And one occasion when I walked up on a fellow sending a highly inappropriate message to his girlfriend.

Nonetheless, we moved from a ban last year to an "appropriate use" policy. We conducted training on what the expectations are for appropriate use, but I think what the boys heard was "just don't let the adults see you using them." Whenever I see a guy on his phone, he quickly shows me he's texting his PL (or some other reasonable use) or quickly shoves it in his pocket. I'm good with that.

Calling adult use hypocritical is silly. PappyDaddy nailed that. But even then, our troop policy was to ask Scouts to keep their phone useage out of sight and hearing of the Scouts. If you needed to make or take a call, step a way from the activities. If you're constantly on the phone, maybe you just need to excuse yourself and head back to the office. As a practical matter, if the Scouts see you on your phone, it's hard to tell them no when the ask to make a call. Worst yet, a kid teetering on the edge of homesickness may be reminded how much he would like to call his folks.

A couple years ago, when cell phone hot spots first came out, I had an ASM at summer camp spend four or five hours a day on his laptop sitting in the middle of camp. I repeatedly asked him to go to the SM room at the camp office (which had normal wifi service). Things started to get tense between us but he finally limited his computer time to when the boys were off at MB classes. At some point, trying to diffuse things by strikin a friendly conversation, I asked what sort of projects he was working on. "Oh, I'm balancing my father-in-law's checkbook" and boasted about setting up the software so he could remotly access his F-I-L's computer. So much for a friendly chat. I later figure out this guy wasn't taking vacation to to go camp, but "working from home" for the week.

Adults do have responsibilities which, unfortunately these days, means they can't let go of the umbilical. But they still need to be respectful of everyone around them and be descrete about using electronics too.

I don't ban phones from camp but we do have an appropriate use policy and we don't allow them to charge.

A camp we did back in October saw photos appear on facebook while we were away. Lots of approving comments from the non scout friends of scouts. Got some great publicity there.

More amusingly on a winter camp a couple of years ago a scout who had friended me on facebook posted that he was cold in his sleeping bag. I was able to comment on the spot, before his mum noticed, to put a hat, an extra layer and some socks on, as he had been reminded by me and his PL before he went to bed and only come moaning when he had done the things he had been trained to do. His status was deleted within 5 minutes, all without either of us having to leave our tent!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Scouts bringing cell phones to camp means the terrorists have won :-) I do think it means that the world we live in is simply not as secure as it used to be. Plus, mom is having trouble trusting you care as much about her son's well being as you do. Well, maybe not that as much as you don't care about her son as much as you do your own, so if the boat is going down and you only have two PFDs it will be bye bye Johnny. And, of course, she is having a difficult time knowing he just doesn't need her as much anymore - her role in his life is changing :-)

When we go on any camping trip the boys get to have their phones on the trip, they call home when we arrive and then they all get stowed away. They call home when we are ready to leave and then they have them on the return trip. All mothers have MY cell number and permission to call any time night or day. Last summer at camp (500 miles away) we only had one mom call and I convinced her that talking to her boy at that point would not be in his best interest because he was not struggling with homesickness and we didn't want to introduce that into his experience, right?

All parents knew how we were going to handle the phones because, as we assured them, we needed to save battery life for a real emergency. I do know that the moms seem to relax a bit knowing there is a "mother" on the scene. Of course, one learned that I don't mother quite the way they do, but ... her son actually survived without being coddled.

I can't help the guy whose wife calls every day. That would be me - not because I don't trust them, but because I miss them terribly. I solved that by being involved and fully trained so I go along ;-)

I must say, listening to you guys talk about this stuff is quite fun :-)

Cut the apron strings. The boys will be ok for 36 hours with out talking to mom and dad.

we have had some issues with inapproprate things on ipods and smartphones. All are ban from scout events period.

Parents can call my cell phone and I will check the voicemail if I have coverage. I will not call back unless it is an emergency.

• 2 months later...

Well, cell phones are necessary to keep track of children when they are in camps. It is obvious that parents will want to talk to their children and get worried when there is no conversation for a day or two. So cell phones should be used but for a limited time.

Why is it everyone just assumes Baby Boy is calling home to Mommy

Just Maybe some scouts were out there Snapping "scouting pictures' and uploading on Scout Web Sites and keeping Fellow Scouters interested in the Summer Events..

Here is How I have Seen Cell Phones Used

Well We set off for Summer Camp today 18+ Hour Drive from Texas to Colorado...Destination CAMP MIDDLEOFNOWHERE...Posted Snap Shot of "Troop" prepared to leave

"Wow We Found this great little Place to Stop and Eat....JUSTLIKEGRANDMASCOOKING Diner...FANTASTIC homemade Apple Pie....Snap Shot of Several Scouts eating Pie

"Man we just stopped for the Night at this Great State Park..Wish Yall could See the View of The "CAPROCKS here in the Texas Panhandle... Breathtaking Sunset...Posted Pictures of Sunset..Scouts around campfire

"Woke up to a Beautiful Sunrise in the Canyon..Saw several Deer...Cooked a Greaat Breakfast"...more posted pictures

"Arrived at CAMP MIDDLEOFNOWHERE...Man is it Beautiful...Beautiful Lake...Fantastic Old Mess Hall..

PICTURE PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES

Wow Billy is Having fun his first time riding a Horse

Wow Johnny just Caught a Huge Trout

WOW WE PASSED SWIM TESTS

WOW AFTER WOW..LOOK HOW MUCH FUN WE ARE HAVING

Pictures Pictures Pictures Pictures

AW SHUCKS>>>WOW we had a Great 14 Days here at Camp..Heading Home Tomorrow...Can You believe we did all this...(2000 pictures Later)

Not Every Kid can Afford a Fancy Camera..MANY are Really Bulky...What Cell phone Does not Have Cameras..maybe about 5% now Days..Most even Have a Video capability

Can't instantly Share on Social Media with a DSLR Digital Camera/Video Camera

Ah What a shame that other Troop banned their Cell phones..I guess we could get their info and share pictures Later..

Meanwhile Some Youth is Looking at the Posts of their Friend saying, "MAN THAT LOOKS LIKE FUN, I AM GOING TO JOIN BOY SCOUTS."

50 Years Later.."Grandpaw can I join Scouts, looks like Yall had a lot of Fun Back in your Day..>>youth sitting at Computer Surfing an Old Scout Website looking at Historical Photos

There is a BIG difference in a DSLR and a phone camera. There is a BIG difference in a decent quality $75 camera and a "free" cell phone with a minimum $50 a month contract. I see the earth shattering if a scout can't post his pictures instantly and has to wait until he gets home. The BSA Membership loss will be catastrophic.

Do you seriously expect us to believe that is all you have seen scouts do with their phone on a camping trip? A scout is honest.

Well, cell phones are necessary to keep track of children when they are in camps. It is obvious that parents will want to talk to their children and get worried when there is no conversation for a day or two. So cell phones should be used but for a limited time.

You are so right, scout camp has been a total disaster for the past 100 years without cell phones. Thank God, we have them, now and the BSA finally reach its full potential. As little as 10 years ago my troop would routinely come back with 3 or 4 less scouts the we took. It was unfortunate, but the needs of the many...

Those new sub-dermal GPS chips we install in all our scouts has been a real lifesaver for our Scoutmaster and a soothing salve for helicopter moms. Now all from their iPads moms leaders can see Billy swimming across the lake or Tom and Jerry hanging out in the woods rather that attending the Environmental Science workshop. They learn so much more responsibility this way. There is nothing a boy needs more than to be tracked every second of the day.

Scouts simply don't need phones in camp. The whole reason for going to camp is to build self-assurance, develop new friendships and enjoy the outdoors away from technology. Leave the communication with back hom to the Scouters who are sending email updates and posting pictures online. They will get over being home sick by staying active. In my experience nearly every time I have seen a home sick kid be allowed to call home (not allowed in my troop, but have seen it many times in other troops) the Scout takes a nose dive and is essentially miserable the rest of the week and on the ride back. Lucky leaders, but they deserve it if they cave in.

For over 8 years now we have not let a single kid call home when homesick and we have a 100% success rate in them bouncing back within 24 hours. We do make exceptions for kids who have suffered medical emergencies. Different kettle of fish that. But basic "I want mommy syndrome"? Go get an ice cream with your SPL at the Trading Post and take a swim...the kid will be fine.

• Upvote 1
Scouts simply don't need phones in camp. The whole reason for going to camp is to build self-assurance, develop new friendships and enjoy the outdoors away from technology. Leave the communication with back hom to the Scouters who are sending email updates and posting pictures online. They will get over being home sick by staying active. In my experience nearly every time I have seen a home sick kid be allowed to call home (not allowed in my troop, but have seen it many times in other troops) the Scout takes a nose dive and is essentially miserable the rest of the week and on the ride back. Lucky leaders, but they deserve it if they cave in.

For over 8 years now we have not let a single kid call home when homesick and we have a 100% success rate in them bouncing back within 24 hours. We do make exceptions for kids who have suffered medical emergencies. Different kettle of fish that. But basic "I want mommy syndrome"? Go get an ice cream with your SPL at the Trading Post and take a swim...the kid will be fine.

Shucks, you changed your avatar!

George is dead also. Better change it.

My tribute to General Buck Turgidson. :)