Summer Camp lessons learned list

We just came back from Summer Camp. I was the Summer Camp ASM. I've been talking to the parents and Scouts on how to improve for next year. Here's the list so far:

Summer Camp Improvements 2011

1. Bring 2 swim suits. One for lake and one for pool.

2. At pickup, parents to checkout with leader for potential discussion regarding summer camp performance.

3. Bring:

a. Ginger ale (stomach aches)

b. Gatoraid powder (dehydration)

c. Pedometers

d. Benadryl ointment & pills

e. Vitamin A&D ointment for nose membranes

f. First Aid spray

g. Knuckle band-aids

h. Anti-biotic ointment

i. Large band-aids 3x2

j. Large box of corn starch (chafing)

k. Chiggerex

l. Ivy Dry

m. Tecnu (poison ivy soap)

4. Hydrate well starting the day before leaving

5. Topographic map of area

6. Medical forms in 2 weeks in advance for review. No ifs/ands/or buts.

7. Talk directly to Dining Hall Director not Camp Director regarding special diets.

8. Have shake down hike before camp to ensure all boys & adults are physically capable to endure the terrain.

9. Have Scout leadership establish expectations and communicate to boys before hand.

11. Practice mosquito net frame assembly

12. Bring alphabetical list of Scouts

13. Dont over communicate (Mr Davis)

14. Get pre-requisites into the hands of the Scouts sooner.

15. Watermelon or ice cream for half way night?

16. Break down check-in by patrol.

17. Roll fuel cost into Camp cost.

18. Set up account with trading post for merit badge kits & roll cost of kits into camp.

19. Schedule camp in June to beat 100 weather.

I removed #10 as it included a Scout's full name.

This goes to the concept of removing temptation but I would make sure that any sprays are NOT in aerosol cans. The temptation of making 'flame throwers' is often too great to resist. (this is applies to the boys too ;))

I suspect that your list might need to be customized depending on the specific camp and climate. High elevation works well for night temperatures at least, even in the heat of summer, but this summer...wow. Early June would have been much less challenge.

I would add from our trip:

(1) Check 1st Aid kit BEFORE going and throw out all medicines and items (gloves) that degrade in our un-air conditioned scout hut. Missing a medical item is tougher on a week trip than a weekend.

(2) Bring a sewing kit.

(3) Bring a repair kit for repairing camp chairs, stools. (Sewing Awl, heavy needle, dental floss.)

(4)Make sure all PL and ASM's are consistent on dealing with a severe homesick cases. Had one ASM and one PL have boy call home without us knowing it--make things a lot worse. Have one adult assigned to learn up on best way to deal with it before trip.

(5)If the SM is busy at check-in make sure the other adults don't hog all the good tents/tent sites. :(

My first reaction is wow, that's quite a list. I suppose you can't hurt yourself by being prepared, but it can sometimes be useful to find the important stuff to focus on.

1. Bring 2 swim suits. One for lake and one for pool. Seems like a fine thing to put on the Scout's list of items - we don't have a pool, so I wouldn't know. An extra suit can't be bad, though.

2. At pickup, parents to checkout with leader for potential discussion regarding summer camp performance. I don't think I'd put this at checkout as a requirement. There are other times that could be better. Many parents want to talk, and that's great, but I usually try to make the whole return-from-camp time be a positive thing.

3. Bring:

a. Ginger ale (stomach aches) nah

b. Gatoraid powder (dehydration) never needed this, but ok

c. Pedometers never used this, but could be interesting. nice to have

d. Benadryl ointment & pills we do have anti-itch stuff

e. Vitamin A&D ointment for nose membranes never used or needed this

f. First Aid spray or this

g. Knuckle band-aids always bring these

h. Anti-biotic ointment should be in the first aid kit, which should be checked

i. Large band-aids 3x2 ditto

j. Large box of corn starch (chafing) we use Gold Bond, but didn't need to use it this year

k. Chiggerex good luck. never found much that worked on chiggers other than numbing the area

l. Ivy Dry never heard of it

m. Tecnu (poison ivy soap) maybe a good idea, but the people who developed a poison ivy rash didn't know they were in poison ivy at the time and wouldn't have used the soap anyway

4. Hydrate well starting the day before leaving I personally don't bother with all the hydration messages. Everyone gets so sick of them and ignores them anyways. I find it hard to believe that our evolutionarily designed thirst mechanism is fundamentally flawed. Everyone should have a water bottle, though.

5. Topographic map of area nice to have

6. Medical forms in 2 weeks in advance for review. No ifs/ands/or buts. good luck with this too. We said this, but what if it doesn't happen? (and it didn't.) Some people can't schedule their physical until closer than this.

7. Talk directly to Dining Hall Director not Camp Director regarding special diets. Double checking all communication is a good thing, and the closer you can get to the actual person doing the work, the better. That said, I don't think we have a good way to get to the dining hall director ahead of time.

8. Have shake down hike before camp to ensure all boys & adults are physically capable to endure the terrain. Will you have a test that they have to meet? Complete it in under one hour? It sounds good, but are you really going to stop someone from coming to summer camp?

9. Have Scout leadership establish expectations and communicate to boys before hand. I think this is a big one and is on the top of my list. You might want to list out specific things that the expectations refer to. What were the biggest areas of problems with that this year? What are the SPL's duties? The patrol leaders? When is lights out? Can the boys make fires? How do we get everyone off to breakfast? Who deals with first aid issues, or homesickness? I would add to this item, make sure the adult leader in charge communicates the expectations of the other adult leaders as well.

11. Practice mosquito net frame assembly fortunately never had trouble with mosquitoes, so no one brings nets. But couldn't this be each person's individual responsibility?

12. Bring alphabetical list of Scouts Yes, sure. Several, even.

13. Dont over communicate (Mr Davis) I think you need to be more specific. (Which Mr. Davis are you talking about? :-)

14. Get pre-requisites into the hands of the Scouts sooner. Our Scouts can look at these themselves, but camp is so variable that I've decided not to bother - they can always complete the other requirements later.

15. Watermelon or ice cream for half way night? We did this - it's a great idea.

16. Break down check-in by patrol. Sounds good, although just checking in wasn't a big deal.

17. Roll fuel cost into Camp cost. Yep, we do this. Good idea.

18. Set up account with trading post for merit badge kits & roll cost of kits into camp. Our camp just rolls them in already.

19. Schedule camp in June to beat 100 weather. Best wishes.

I'd add, identify the Scout or two who are most likely to miss getting to class, and make sure that someone is around to guide them in the right direction.(This message has been edited by Oak Tree)

Just a general observation about your list - many items seem like something your unit should be doing anyway, for every camp out. Many of your first aid items sound like part of a well-stocked first aid kit, which should be coming with the unit to every camping trip. Sounds like it might also be a good opportunity to re-enforce the importance of personal and/or patrol first aid kits - part of that whole "be prepared" thing :-) Same thing with having a roster of your Scouts - sounds like something that the SPL and SM should have put together for each and every outing.

One other thing you may want to consider for summer camp is to have available a handful of clean, dry clothes (especially t-shirts, sweatshirts and socks). This isn't anything you'd have to spend a lot of money on - a couple bucks will get you a dozen pairs of socks at Walmart, and you could probably get a bunch of various sized tshirts and sweatshirts donated from troop families, or even from thrift stores for a few bucks. Having a few pieces of clean, dry clothing helps after one of those "teachable moments" where one of your newer scouts failed to correctly estimate the effectiveness of his waterproof boots, or prepare for sub-optimal rain and temperature conditions.

I always do a bit** list at the end of an event to remember the things that you need to do better next time. Reflect on it a couple times through the year, and definately next spring.

1. Bring 2 swim suits. One for lake and one for pool.

Interesting why?

2. At pickup, parents to 'checkout' with leader for potential discussion regarding summer camp performance.

You really want to do this? The last thing I wanted to do when getting back and unloading was to deal with the parents. I was tired, hot, and cranky, just wanted to get home to my easy chair not deal with a helicopter wanting to know how great Johnny did. If a debriefing is needed, take good notes so you can recall for a later discussion.

3. Bring: a.... m.

Depends on region. Wouldn't bring any drinks, water is fine and a lot less sugar. The rest can go in a troop first aid kit and use as needed. Somethings are good for a Scout to have on their own and they should learn through experience. Ie: Goldbond & mole skin.

4. Hydrate well starting the day before leaving

Yup, nalgenes on their person, three glasses of water each meal; clear and copious.

5. Topographic map of area

Might be a good idea to study up on the area of a new camp before you arrive.

6. Medical forms in 2 weeks in advance for review. No ifs/ands/or buts.

No doubt; two weeks is even pushing it.

7. Talk directly to Dining Hall Director, not Camp Director regarding special diets.

Always. And follow up with a call the week before to remind him and confirm the right person got the information.

8. Have 'shake down' hike before camp to ensure all boys & adults are physically capable to endure the terrain.

2nd Class req #1b 5 mile hike is a good one to do a couple weeks before. Break in and waterproof new boots too.

9. Have Scout leadership establish expectations and communicate to boys before hand.

Critically important to make sure everyone knows what their jobs are for the week - that applies to both adults and youth... no free rides!

11. Practice mosquito net frame assembly

I can only imagine what caused this point to be made!

12. Bring alphabetical list of Scouts

Whenever you think you have enough rosters, print one more.

13. Don't over communicate (Mr Davis)

Control the communications: There's a fine line between overloading and underinforming.

14. Get pre-requisites into the hands of the Scouts sooner.

Right, that should be done at the same time you present the list of MBs they offer at camp.

15. Watermelon or ice cream for 'half way' night?

Planning ahead can make this a great night and don't forget to invite your camp staff!

16. Break down check-in by patrol.

SPL & PL in charge.

17. Roll fuel cost into Camp cost.

Yes, we add on about $10 to each person for campsite needs too.

18. Set up account with trading post for merit badge kits & roll cost of kits into camp.

Ours requires the Scouts to pay at the Trading post by the 2nd day of classes. It is a hassle, but I rather put it on their shoulders.

19. Schedule camp in June to beat 100a weather.

Come north! Although Midwest troops are hitting the same thing right now.

This list could be miles long depending on the camp, traditions, and preferences. Many things I swore by other Troops thought was unneeded at the same camp, and versa visa. Different strokes...(This message has been edited by jtswestark)

I know it's because I'm female, but...soap powders. Never know when you're going to need them for an impromptu load of laundry you just don't want to smell on the ride home.

If you can still find it, Chiggerid worked on Chiggers quite well...contained ether to kill the little bugger.

Gold Bond powder is on my boy's list for Scout and Band camp. Puts out the crotch-fire really well....just don't get the "Foot" version!

I highly recommend UnderArmor underwear as well.

After a nasty result with my wife and anti-biotic ointment, it's verboten from my house and first-aid kits. Bactine or any other product that allows the wound to dry out is best according to the Dr.

(This message has been edited by Engineer61)

We have a two pound bottle of Gold Bond which stays by the latrine.

Sounds like a good list, but my thought would be that much of this goes on the individual scouts' lists. Summer camp is a great time to start learning person responsibility and bringing what you need is the first step. We tell our scouts and parents if they want their son to have any particular OTC medication or ointment, they should put it in their personal first aid kit. That gives us sort of defacto parental permission and gets us off the hook of dispensing medication. We do ask the boys to let us know before they take anything so we're can keep an eye on them and follow up.

I do like the alphabetical roster. We include several copies in a notebook we give the SPL. The camp director is always very impressed when our SPL hands him a written check sheet accounting for all our scouts during the Monday afternoon emergancy drill. The SPL notebook has all the schedules, activities, duty rosters, etc. for the week, including individual Scouts' schedules. That way, when we say "ASK YOUR PATROL LEADER" he will actually have the right information.

We run our own first year program for our new Scouts so that drives a whole list of stuff -- ax yard stuff, map and compass, one patrol tub to cook with (the new Scouts cook in the campsite one day), first aid instructional materials.

My general list is much more program heavy too:

All the camp lanters we own (hard to play checkers in the dark)

Tiki torches (gives the site a cool, "Survivor" look)

Wood carving tools and neckerchief slide blanks

Leather working tool and belt blanks, scrap leather for tinkering.

Dutch ovens for brownies

Peaches and condensed milk to juice up the ice cream mix the camp provides Wednesday night

Throwing hawks, target butts and caution tape for our private range.

Rope tub for hanging hammocks and building a gateway if anyone gets ambitious.

Rechargable hair clippers (we're known for our stylish mowhawks.)

We try to make summer camp a fun place to go hang out with you mates for a week. We try to have alot of fun stuff in our own campsite for the guys to do. And it works. I have 16- and 17-y.o.s coming to camp for the sixth and seventh year just 'cause it's fun. This year six guys got off the plane from Philmont at 12:30 am Sunday morning and were at the hut at 11:30 that same morning to go to summer camp. Our guys take Rifle Shooting, or Metal Work or Shotgun Shooting or Water Skiing sometimes three years straight just because they enjoy it. And I encourage it. A couple times I've had MB instructors or other SMs ask why I allow these guys to repeat the same MB over and over. Are you kidding? I think it's great.

And I forbid them from taking Communication, Personal Fitness, Citizenship, Personal Management or Family Life at camp. I take the heat from the parents and let the boys off the hook. "Sorry mom, the Old Man won't let me take Communications."

why a special shakedown hike if the troop hikes every month anyway? Tell your new Scouters to take a mile stroll every evening so they won't be left too far behind by their sons

A parental after action report at checkout? I envision one beleaguered SM facing a pileup of impatient parents

Great discussion!! I concur with most of the lists -- we will definitely be bringing that big bottle of Gold Bond next year!! The Tiki torches are a fund idea as well.

But what is really on my list for next year is to get payments and medicals in earlier. This year, we started talking about summer camp in January (including the need for medicals to be turned in no later than late May), requested deposits in February, set a deadline for deposits in March, requested full early-bird payments in April, had a deadline for payments in May, again emphasized the need for medicals asap, and worked with the Scouts to define Merit Badge selection in May.

Despite lots of emails, discussions at Troop meetings, hand outs provided to Scouts, this was the worst year I've ever seen on getting payments and medicals in on a timely basis. We had several parents turning in medical forms on the day we were leaving! They seemed clueless and stunned when we called them the week before camp and told them without a properly filled out and signed medical their son could not go to summer camp.

So now I'm thinking carefully about the messaging campaign we will use next year to reach parents on the importance of getting the payment and medical in on time. I'd hate to set a hard deadline and then have to tell a Scout he cannot go to camp because his parent was late on getting things in on time. But that may be the only way to reach some folks...

Tiki torches are a bad idea. Had an incident at a camp where a gallon jug of fuel was put in the fire sealed, Not our troop, but it looked like an atomic explosion. Lucky no one got hurt.

How do you store the fuel?

How close are they to the tents?

IMO it creates an avoidable risk, open flame and liquid fuel in the campsite.

We just use lanterns as needed.....I just recently purchased some solar powered rope lights from harbor freight, I am interested to see how they work.

What about if someone puts one of the propane tanks from a lantern in the fire?

There's all kinds of avoidable risks in Scouting, and going for a week camping is inherently more risky than staying home. Many risks can be mitigated by proper training and supervision, common sense, and discipline. No need for a blanket ban on anything because of a single occurrence of poor judgement.

>> Drink plain, ordinary water over Gatorade or Powerade any day of the week. Require each Scout to carry a canteen or water bottle everywhere. They should also be hydrating at each program area - make sure this is happening in your walk-arounds. When I worked on staff, my classes didn't start until everyone had guzzled. "Drink until U P clear" gets it in their heads.

>> Pre-requisites? Though leaders should note items specific to that camp, it's the Scout's responsibility to look at the requirements and figure out what can probably be done at camp or not. It's also the Scout's responsibility to make sure he can do the badge and has the basic skills to start before signing up.

>> If the camp doesn't supply one, bring a bulletin board that can be hung from a tarp, tree or pioneering structure, with plastic draped over to protect from the elements. Bring lots of thumbtacks and stick patrol rosters, duty rosters, emergency information, schedules, event notices, camp map, etc., all up there for everyone to see.

>> Duct tape. 'Nuff said.