Top Ten List for a Successful Summer Camp

We have a herd of new Scouts this year, and want to send out one last email before departure...

Any additions?

1. Double Check Packing List

2. Label Everything

3. Scout Packs Everything

4. No Electronics

5. Turn In Completed Medical Forms

6. Mail letters late this week and over the week-end

7. Be at church on Sunday morning in Class A Uniform

8. Give Camp Spending $$ to the Banker

9. Give Medicines to the Medic

10. Parents: Check in with Scoutmaster before leaving

1. Take care of yourself. Take a shower every day. Drink more water than you think you need, then drink some more. Poop everyday. Eat your fruit and veggies.

2. Take care of each other. Watch out for the guys who aren't following rule #1. Look after the little guys, especially right after dinner when everything starts to wind down and guys are most susceptible to being homesick. Look for kids off by themselves or in their tent and not participating with the group. Draw them out. Ask them to hang out with you and play a game of checkers or cards. Take them to the trading post and buy them a slushie (let me know and I'll give you the buck.)

3. Make time to try something new.

4. Spend time just hanging with your mates. This is what summer camp is all about. Go canoeing with a buddy. Get off your butt and go with a group to free swim. Walk with a bunch of guys over to the athletic field and get in a pick-up ball game.

5. Participate, even if it doesn't seem cool. You're at Boy Scout camp for heaven's sake. YOu're really worried about looking cool?

6. Sit with a different group at least one meal every day. You'll be surprised.

- Take some time each day to do absolutely nothing

- If the camp offers an astronomy familiarization session, go...even if you have no aspirations for the MB, the camp is quite different at night and the stars will be amazing.

- If at all possible, bring back little tokens of thanks for your family members...something you made at handicraft, or an inexpensive trinket from the trading post, or a really cool rock you found on the trail...you'll be surprised at how much they'll appreciate the gesture

- Steady, dreary rain? Get out of the tent and rally your fellow scouts...ham it up, pretend like the sun is shining, crack some jokes, go play volleyball in the rain and mud and the next thing you know, things are a little brighter (Caveat: zero tolerance for lightning...be safe!)

- Bring crocs or flip flops for shower and pool...they will save you from the misery of athletes foot

Great suggestions!! Thanks!

Based on your suggestions, I've compiled a Top Ten list to post at summer camp on the bulletin board. Additional ideas?

Top Ten Ways to have Fun at Summer Camp

1. Take care of yourself: Take a shower every day. Drink more water than you think you need, then drink some more. Visit the latrine every day. Eat your fruit and veggies. Brush your teeth before bed every night. Never sleep in the clothes you wore during the day.

2. Take care of each other. Watch out for the guys who aren't following rule #1. Look after the little guys, especially right after dinner when everything starts to wind down and guys are most susceptible to being homesick. Look for kids off by themselves or in their tent and not participating with the group. Draw them out. Ask them to hang out with you and play a game of checkers or cards. Take them to the trading post and buy them a Slushy (let me know and I'll give you the buck.)

3. Make time to try something new.

4. Spend time just hanging with your Troop. Or guys from another Troop! This is what summer camp is all about. Go canoeing with a buddy. Get off your butt and go with a group to free swim. Grab a bunch of guys and head down to the activity field for a pick-up ball game.

5. Participate, even if it doesn't seem cool. You're at Boy Scout camp! You're really worried about looking cool?

6. Sit at a different table at least one meal every day. Sit with guys you normally dont talk to. You'll be surprised.

7. Take some time each day to do absolutely nothing.

8. Take a moment before crawling into your tent at bedtime to look up at the stars they are amazing!

9. If at all possible, bring back little tokens of thanks for your family members...something you made at handicraft, or an inexpensive trinket from the trading post, or a really cool rock you found on the trail...you'll be surprised at how much they'll appreciate the gesture.

10. Steady, dreary rain? Get out of the tent and rally your fellow scouts...ham it up, pretend like the sun is shining, crack some jokes, go play volleyball in the rain and mud and the next thing you know, things are a little brighter. If theres lightning, hunker down in a safe place and pretend with the little guys that youre hiding from an enemy.

11. Have Fun!!

>> No Scout worth their salt is going to listen to this one, but: Get enough sleep. Don't stay up until 2 a.m. every night, or you'll be too drowsy to focus by the time Friday rolls around.

>> Pack your swimsuit and towel in a daypack or close to the top of your backpack, so you can get it out quickly for swim checks on Sunday.

>> Parents: Write to your sons once during the week. It's cool to get mail at camp.

SMT224 - Your last list is awesome! Make sure your adults have read it too. If your committee does BOR's in camp, encourage them to ask questions based on this list.

Regarding your first list. It's fine, but before the cars pull out, circle up your drivers (especially if some of them are new to the troop). Give them a paper with directions and your navigator's cell phone. Remind them to not caravan. Arrange a meeting point just before camp, so your troop can pull in roughly together.

Actually my troop wore their swim trunks under the scout shorts to speed up swim checks.

I'll add NO GOLF CART IN CAMP ;)

The letters from home reminded me of a joke on one of my friends in the patrol. Every single letter he got was in a pink envelope and smelled of perfume. Gotta love older brothers pulling jokes on ya.