Golf Carts at summer camp

Wow, here I was annoyed with the couple of gators and golf cart that STAFF were using delivering food, transporting the camp medico or the one handicapped Scout. Why was I annoyed? The noise they made, a couple of electric carts would be both less expensive to opperate nor disturb the soundscape. This camp even has seprate bicycle trails. I never saw a cart opperated near the rules limits so I guess I'll hold my tonge and drink my coffee.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oak, yes, obesity is a disability regardless of the cause. I should have been more clear that for some people, what they do about it is a choice (and that choosing to ride in a golf cart over walking would be, as my cousin's wife likes to tell her 2 year old "a bad choice") and for others it is not.

Back in my days as a Scout, the Troop with the golf carts would be spending an awful lot of time playing "find the golf carts" (or "find the golf cart batteries") on the second day of camp, purely as an inter-troop gag of course.(This message has been edited by calicopenn)

For the truly disabled, and the elderly, yes, I can see.

For the other campers: hit the trail, inhale some clean air, and put one foot in front of the other...next thing you know, gosh, you have arrived at your destination!

Gotta haul stuff, staffers? Use the handcarts or carry it. Bigger stuff, the camp ranger can drive it in the rattle trap pick up truck.

Calico: got a chuckle from that...it's true, back in the day, those golf carts would have been prime targets for every prankster in camp! Day 2, they would have been inop, missing, "decorated," creatively placed, and then banned from camp by mutual agreement.

One year (at band camp - J/K) at Summer Camp, one of the other Troop's leaders was thrown from a horse and bunged up his knee pretty badly (fortunately, nothing was broken, but he had a heck of a time getting around for a while). The Scout's did a bit of pioneering and created a sedan chair to carry him around. The Scouts in the unit would tussle over who got to carry Mr. ASM to the flag ceremony, and to the dining hall. Who needs golf carts when you have wood, ropes, and Scouts to act as a motor?

In 85 the SPL for the jambo troop had MS. He was over 6 foot by then and would be up on his own early, moving to special crutches late morning, and then usually in a chair by afternoon. We never had a shortage of scouts who helped with the chair, including getting him up and down stairs. Granted, a cart or electric chair would have been great, but we got through the whole jamboree with him, though it was a bit of a challenge, especially during "Bob" and his lead-in squall line.

A couple of years before the jambo, Jason's troop went to Chawanakee in the Sierras. He was their SPL at the time. And those scouts never left him alone, nor seemed bothered by helping him around. Pushing a chair in the dirt is not exactly easy; but they were "proud" to be making sure he was part of the group.

Setting the example is something we stress in leadership. So, hopefully most of us see the possible poor one in this scenario.

We had a similar experience at summer camp last week. Several troops brought in golf carts for the adults to cruise around in. The camp had several 6 seat golf carts and ran a mass transist taxi like system for any adult who wished to be carted around. Very annoying to be constantly dodging the speeding carts.

This was the first time out troop had been to this camp in about 5 years and were shocked at the changes. Hopefully this is not a continuing trend.

Call me an old fogey, but carts, UTV, etc should be limited to staff, and even then for certain circumstances, i.e. transporting supplies, handicapped campers, etc. Only folks IMHO who need to ride are the medics and ranger. Maybe, stressing MAYBE, the camp QM since most work with the ranger at the camps I worked at. CD, PD, SMs ad nauseum walked.

You KNOW one of those golf carts would have ended upon the swimming raft and another perched in a tree!

How about on four jacks with tires spread out all over the trail? Lesson learned: don't do that on the only road leading to the wilderness area.

No, that's the program director's entire office that would be relocated to the dining hall.

Some staffers thought that since the PD spent more time in the dining hall than at camp HQ and visting the program areas, as well as more time in his cabin than in the DH, that moving the office would be best for himm, and also getting a camp cot and placing it next to the desk.

Campers loved the joked, CD and PD not so much.

I am kinda surprised regarding the dismantling, and hiding of the golf carts.....

I am taken back and disappointed.

Calico....I enjoyed your story,

Watching the people who rode the golf carts eat......the obesity is voluntary......especially one the one gal went up for thirds. the SM from the a joining table winked at me and pointed it out. The being held at the closing campfire till the parade of golf carts and utv's left was the final straw for me.

I wrote added it to my camp evaluation form and I ran into the Councils SE as we were leaving and let him know my thoughts about it. He was very diplomatic as expected and said he would look into it......

Nothing will change I am sure of it..........so I guess I am just venting.

The noise of the generators would make good cover for the sounds made while removing tires. So you should probably wait until you're leaving to add water in the generators' gas tanks...

I never claimed to be a nice person.