Golf Carts at summer camp

Between this thread and the one on interrogating scouts, you guys have convinced me that I don't want to attend another summer camp. I'll encourage the unit to plan to do 'our own thing' in the future. Thanks. I think.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JoeBob,

Were you the guy who took off with the Super Bowl I or II ring, attached it a brick and a float, and threw it in the deep end?

Long story short, we had a SM who thought he was hot stuff because he played for Green Bay and was in Super Bowls I and II. And yes he wore one of the rings to prove it. Ticked off a bunch of folks with the attitude, and cursing out two scouts who were having problems learning how to canoe in canoeing MB class didn't help matters either.

Well the Super Bowl ring went missing, and he was furious. Clues were left, and eventually the ring was found attached to a brick to sink it and a float to find it, in the deep end of the swimming area.

Our District Executive has been the Camp Director the past three years. Last year he invited district officer to the camp in place of the August district meeting.

The District Chair and I took him up on that offer, and were squired around on a camp tour, riding in a gasoline powered cart.

I didn't think anything of it at the time (how quickly one gets used to such things!) But it doesn't sound like a good idea after reading this thread...

Mid '70s, my scoutmaster at my first summer camp was a WWII vet who had lost a lung in combat.

He had trouble in the high mountain air, but was otherwise very fit. He never complained and walked everywhere.

When it was time to move out as a troop for camp flag ceremonies, or chow, he'd start with us, and have to rest along the way. He always caught up in a minute or two.

Year around, he never missed a campout, and always slept on the ground.

This made quite an impression on me...I still think about him.