Summer camp uniforms (at all hours)

My first spin thread.

Just back from summer camp, and many troops wore matching tee's and the Field Uniform with special neckers, at breakfast and lunch. Field uniform being only required at dinner.

At the end of camp, I asked the guys if they noticed the other troops, and told them they could "be that troop" next year. I was roundly shouted down.

Each troop has its personality. Ours is laid back I suppose. We are 100% uniform, but not 100% of the time at camp.

What does your troop do?(This message has been edited by Alabama Scouter)

We are in full summer uniform for breakfast and dinner at Summer Camp, a patrol cooking camp. We are also in the vast minority doing this. Our scouts do take pride in being the best looking troop in camp.

Depends on the camp.

Our local Council Camp is Patrol cooking breakfast, pack and carry lunch, mess facility dinner. There we are Class B for breakfast and lunch and Class A for dinner.

When we travel to a camp that is mess facility breakfast and dinner, we are Class A for breakfast and dinner.

Any flag ceremony we are Class A.

We started with zero full uniforms (Scout or Scouter) and over a two year period moved to full uniforms. PLC set the GOAL for 100% uniforming at about the one year mark. It was summer camp outside of our Council (and state) where they first saw fully uniformed troops. Then we had an international contigent attend an event at our Council Camp. The foreign Scouts were in full uniforms, sang songs at every gathering, etc and won every competition.

The next year saw a complete change in the troop that has lasted since (8 years).

Uniforming is always an issue for us in our troop. But this past Saturday, we had a PLC and, amongst other things, discussed uniforming at camp. The SPL will not be attending camp with us, and the ASPL is a dynamic young man, and a great up-and-coming leader in the troop. He proposed that we wear full field uniform (class A) to both breakfast and dinner. He made a convincing argument to support this, and the PLC voted UNANIMOUSLY (I just about fell over!) to wear a uniform at all flag ceremony/meals.

Can't wait to see how this works out at camp. One and a half weeks to go!

I am very happy I have so many older active Scouts, many up until they are 18. The last thing they (most teens) want is to be told what clothes they are to wear. I only say unless it's Scouting related or appropriate, leave it at home. I usually find them wearing past summer camp shirts, OA shirts, or the troop class B shirts. Im very happy with that. A broad generalization and somewhat anecdotal, but its been my experience in units like that theres some Mom nagging them to conform behind the scenes. Those boys get sneered at. No thanks, not what I want boys to get from Scouting. Im guessing your boys feel the same.

Summer camps are always a fun place to see how other troops choose to wear the uniform, but I found Philmont to be the most interesting because some clothes just dont work for backpacking. We saw several crews who all wore the same class B down top the socks. Then there was the crew that wore Full Class As during their whole trek. I cant think of more uncomfortable clothing for backpacking, but our crew was impressed by those guys. Our crews always wear Class As before and after the treks in a show of pride and bonding, but it seemed extra special after watching that crew.

But the crew that gets the best dressed award was a Troop from Alabama that not only wore full BSA issued Class Bs all the way down to wearing the same brand of boots, but they all had the same brands of equipment and gear as well. I mean all their gear like backpacks, sleeping bags, even the pack rain covers were all the same and the same color. Nothing cheap either, all the gear was top quality brands. And every member in the crew used hiking poles. We knew when we were behind them by the millions of tiny little holes poked in the trail. That crew looked pretty impressive and must have cost them a fortune.

Our troop isnt always the best dressed troop in the camp, but we generally do make a good presence. I like a good looking uniformed troop, but attitude is also what folks remember about many troops no matter what they are wearing. Showing a good attitude with songs, cheers and jokes also makes the whole experience more fun for everyone as well.

Barry

Usually we were in Scout T-shirts, at least those of use with a bunch. Only folks I ever saw in a complete Activity Uniform all the time, except when in Field Uniform, are the Staff. Ok excepting aquatics staff (and they actually created their own waterfront uniform wiht everyone in the same swimsuits and brimmed hats) and COPE ( ditto cammies and staff t-shirts)

If the field uniform is going to be worn all day, every day, six days a week during summer camp, you'd better have a washing system set up in the campsite ... or else be getting a bulk discount from Supply!

At my camp, the field uniform is worn at evening retreat and at dinner, by everyone. The rest of the time, the staff wears an activity uniform consisting of staff shirts (tees and polos) and khaki shorts. Campers and leaderes can wear whatever they want, within reason (no inappropriate shirts, etc.).

>>If the field uniform is going to be worn all day, every day, six days a week during summer camp, you'd better have a washing system set up in the campsite ... or else be getting a bulk discount from Supply!>That Alabama troop sounds like a group of Stepford Scouts. Scary.

A plumbers helper and 5 gallon bucket are pretty common at scout camps. And scouts actually think they are fun.

Plunger?!?!, bucket?!?!?!.... We don't need no stinking plunger and bucket! ;)

I personally use the BROWNSEA WASHING MACHINE. Wear all clothes to be washed into shower. Use soap to scrub and then rinse in the shower. Repeat for each layer of dirty clothes.

And yep it does work

I've never quite understood the plunger thing for use while camping. As far as I'm concerned, the clothes are going to get dirty again anyway, so it's not necessary to get them absolutely clean. It is merely necessary to get them cleaner than they were. I just slosh them around in a bucket with any available soap, and then repeat the process to rinse. In fact, I give them a little rub with the Fels-Naptha, which was originally intended for washing clothes.

When I was in Scouts, another Scout asked me incredulously why I was using the "poison ivy soap" to wash my clothes. It never occurred to him why they sold "poison ivy soap" in the laundry aisle.