Summer Camp Tent Inspections

Tents were inspected by camp staff prior to unit check in, at unit check in with the SM, once during the unit's stay (twice if the unit was staying 2 weeks), and at unit check out with the SM. The check in and check out inspections were to ensure that the tents were received and given back in the same condition. Tents were inspected during the stay to make sure there were no problems developing. If a tent started developing a mildew/mold problem, a crew from the quartermaster's shop would appear with a replacement tent, take down the old tent and put up the new (for the site - army surplus is never new) tent. If nothing is hanging from anything, it's a site to behold as they replace the tent without touching anything that is on or under the bed, or on the floor. If a knife slice was discovered, the quartermaster would supply the unit with a repair kit and instructions on repairing the tent. If there was a broken plank in the tent floor, the maintenance techs would be there that day to replace the plank.

If the kybos weren't being cleaned well enough, extra cleaning supplies would be brought to the unit by a camp commissioner during the siesta period after lunch - without saying anything, the message became pretty clear.

Today. most units bring their own gear. I'd suggest that the SM and SPL conduct a couple of inspections during the week, not to harp on the Scout's messiness, but to make sure that the tents and gear are holding up - even if the tent is the Scout's own. You want to make sure that the scouts haven't just tossed a pair of wet socks or shorts into a corner of the tent for a couple of days - it doesn't take long for mildew to start growing. If you're experiencing rain, you might want to make sure that everything is dry inside. I once had a Scout on the smaller side keep using a sleeping bag that was damp at the foot end because of a leak because he curled up while sleeping and didn't have to touch the wet part, rather than getting it aired out and dried.

Trust me when I tell you that it's far better to have a Scout get mad at you for inspecting his tent than to have a Scout get seriously ill after breating in mold spores because he didn't pay attention to the patch of mildew in a corner that you would have caught had you inspected the tent.

Our camp has the SPLs sign-up to do inspections of other units' sites as part of the competition for the Baden Powell award.

Somewhere in the foothills of Mount Kenya, Baden-Powell is turning over in his grave.

This is a decision that the PLC should make. If they decide to have inspections the SPL and PL should inspect the tents with an adult leader present but not doing the inspecting. Also, the adult tents should be subject to inspection by the SPL with the Scoutmaster or other adult in charge if the Scoutmaster is not at the particular event.

In scouting what's good for the scout is good for the scouter.(This message has been edited by johnponz)(This message has been edited by johnponz)

Calico reminds me that there is a difference between check-in/check-out inspections and daily campsite inspections. The commissioner's staff at my camp checks each tent twice a week, on Sunday after arrival and before departure on Sunday, walking around with the SPL and noting any problems with the tents or gear - small holes in the canvas, worn bungee cords, flap ties missing, etc. That way the troop can get replacement equipment before the Scouts bunk down that evening, and so it isn't charged unfairly for damage caused by the previous troop to use those tents or gear.

In our troop, we give out beads for all kinds of silly reasons every day at summer camp. Examples include best 'bed head', 'first blood' (every year, SOMEBODY will get a cut for some reason or another), etc. We've been known to include beads for neatest/cleanest tent and even the messiest tent on occasion. It's all in good fun and taken that way. We don't open tent flaps, and would only just neatest/messiest based on what was visible while flaps were up. We've also given an award to a scout who happened to be in camp as a huge storm was coming through who took it on himself to close flaps, stow stuff inside tents etc.

Other than 'no food in camp' (most camps we go to have bears in the vicinity, and ALL have smaller critters), we don't try to enforce any specific neatness factor for inside of tents.

I don't do tent inspections, and won't, ever.

The cleanliness I'm working on is in their minds. Boys having fun can get messy, and they're pigs at times, too.

Had one new scout this year come to me about the ants in his tent. Went to have a look, and trail mix is all over the place.

I explained to the young boy that he had invited the ants to dinner, and they had accepted. If he didn't want them to stay, he had to remove their dinner!

He learned something that night. Had I forced him to clean up that morning, he may have not gotten that lesson.

I require that we keep a clean campsite, and hang trash from a rope at night, but the socks and co-mingled clothes in their tent-that's between them and their tent mate.

Overzealous campsite inspectors at a "name brand" camp in Georgia broke me of wanting to ever force scouts to participate in that kind of nonsense.

We go to camp to have fun, as a troop. Mommy will make them clean up their room, but not me.

• 2 weeks later...

Our troop just got back from a week in Hale. Near Talihina Oklahoma. Didn't do tent inspections but did pick a "tent of the day" award (SPL chosen). Some of our scouts are rather slobbish. I'm thinking some sort of inspection ought to have been done to help with general neatness of the campsite. The tent flaps up or down decision can go wrong... Twas Hot in Hale last week (7 days of 105 or higher). One morning we left all flaps up... the downpour came quickly and unexpectedly when no one was in camp... nearly everyone's stuff got pretty wet. We should have been, but weren't prepared for that. Even us more experienced farts are still learning.

Overzealous campsite inspectors at a "name brand" camp in Georgia broke me of wanting to ever force scouts to participate in that kind of nonsense.

Yah, I'm not real fond of the "inspection culture" at some camps. I think that's properly the role of the unit and its youth leaders.

Eaglenjake, I think we all try out things our old Scoutmasters did. Some will work for us, some won't. I think it's fine if yeh have a goal/vision for the thing and want to give it a whirl. I think you're right that it's best to reward the positive rather than punish the negative. But I think yeh also should be includin' the SPL and PLs. They might have a better, more fun way to get to your goal. Even if they don't you and they should be workin' as a team to keep inspections lighthearted and fun... with a mind that in the end, they should take it away from you and make it their own.

Beavah

In our troop we do campsite inspections and scouts have the option of rolled or closed flaps. We recommend closed because of the frequency of sudden thunderstorms. If they leave flaps open we mark them up or down on what we see. If they're closed then we don't look inside and only judge on the common area of the site... chuck box, table etc.

One time I came into by son's patrol site and found that his flaps were rolled. Tent was relatively neat except that there was a bird starting to build a nest on his pillow! Now that was unexpected.

As a SM I have never done a tent inspection for any reason.

As a Camp Commissioner at a camp in the Midwest, we have done daily inspections, and do give ratings to each campsite but (here's the subterfuge - game in a game...) The posted results have no bearing on any awards or competitions - but they do allow for both positive and negative and comments to be made regarding health and safety issues without pointing out the Scouts in any particular tent.

The Inspections are not about the neatness, but about catching pre-cursors to mold, fungal issues, unsafe individual food storage, before they grow. And in some cases, to prevent major issues - I.E., this summer I had two troops in a single campsite, One left their fire hot(whether it flared or not isn't a matter for discussion as it should have been cold dead out with no one in the campsite) as they went to MB classes - the Other had a gas leak on a stove...