First Year Program

When I went through an FYC program at my first year of summer camp, the instructors were these grizzled old guys who'd BTDT and had the scars to show it - they were great.

Must ditto that one as we had a retired Marine Master Gunnery Seargent who headed up our FYC program for 20+ years. He was one tough Leatherneck who would put folks through their paces. When he got to ill to work summer camp, he was missed. And when he passed away, we had former camp staff, and pros fly in fo r the funeral.

You definitely need your most experienced staff working the program.

• 4 months later...

For years, our troop did not do the first year program. Last year, they revamped it into a full week, full day course. I'm not sure exactly what they did but my son loved it so much that he is going back this year for one week with his troop and the rest provo troop. He got up to second class. His goal is to be first class by the end of camp.

My older son will be staff in the FYP this year. He is a 16 year old rising HS senior Life Scout and this is his 3rd year on staff. He is looking forward to the program as he enjoys working with the younger boys. His brother says he is the best math teacher he's ever had, the den he chiefed for had a 95% retention rate in to scouts.

I think a FYP can be a very good thing. The boys who took it last year are really enthused about going back and working on merit badges this year.

The activity I remember most from my very first summer camp was the treasure hunt. We had compass & map reading earlier in the week. Each patrol started at a different spot with their first clue. If you could read a compass and pace off a length you found the next clue. The treasure was banana splits for the winning patrol.

Yes, making Scouts sit thru instuction they've already mastered verges on criminal. The modules need to be announced before camp starts - such as monday 8-9 will be knife sharpening, tuesday 8-9 will be fire building, etc. Have pre-camp signups just like they do for merit badges. That way, a second class candidate will waste less time, and make more progress.

As for a dining hall being too small, I am wondering if you could erect some of those portable carports with picnic tables under - dine al fresco.