Interesting Summer Camp Merit Badges

What's the most interesting/merit badge that was the most fun for the boys in your troop?

I'm trying to incorporate new things into my camp's program and was interested in seeing if you have ever seen any non traditional "camp" merit badges done well.

Thanks!

My son really liked the metalworking merit badge, they also had pottery wheels and did the pottery merit badge which they liked..

Another camp has motorboating, horseback riding but those are a little too expensive to add without a planned budget for it.

They had Fingerprinting this year at camp. 40 scouts got the badge since it was offered as a 1 hour troop activity rather than a week-long session. It could have been more thorough, but it was pretty interesting and the staff covered the 5 requirements.

Our camp got a handful of digital cameras and now offers Photography. The scouts really liked that one.

I've been hoping for Pottery, but no luck so far.

Maybe camps should offer Plumbing and Home Repairs and get some facilities fixed up by the scouts for free. :-)

Scout On

http://ScoutChallenge.com

Metal work is a good one - something many of them couldn't do at home

One camp my son attended did a big Rail Roading program, linked to a nearby historic RR and a train enthusiasts club in the area. The boys seemed to enjoy that. Are there any resources of that nature near your camp?

I like the idea of the auto mechanics, if you can provide vehicles for them to tinker around with, especially. Actually have them help change the fluids, etc.

How about Geocaching?

One of the camps my boys looked at had a program called "The Final Frontiersman" that included Space Exploration, Engineering and Astronomy. They also had a program called "Mataguay Messenger" that used Radio, Journalism and photography and they published a daily camp newspaper.

Thank you so much for all the input!

I love the idea of fingerprinting and have incorporated it into the program already.

I'm working with my cd and se to explore and fit in geocaching, metalwork, space exploration, and public health and am continuing to research the possibility of some of the other ones mentioned.

I'm sure our ranger would be on board with your idea, mnscout.

Thanks again everyone. It really helps to know what units actually enjoy rather than trying to predict what they might like. My goal is to make sure that every scout has fun and falls in love with camp like I did when I was younger.

Only thing about fingerprinting - make sure it is done well. Since it is a relatively easy one, it seems to suffer from a distinct lack of care. (How I've seen it done in some settings: Everybody stick fingers on ink pad, smash onto paper, done! 15 minutes, tops, start to finish.)

Even the easy ones deserve to be done well.