Need a summer job?

From Scouting Magazine...summer jobs. Now, I wouldn't go and quit my job just yet, but if you are a young scouter around the 18 to 22 year old range, this is a great oppertunity.

Help Wanted

Attention, Scouts and leaders 18 or older: Super summer jobs await you at the BSAs three high-adventure bases. Heres how to apply:

Florida National High Adventure Sea Base

Summer hires: 150

Pay: $900 per month and upmore for specialty positions. Includes room and board.

Positions: program, retail, and food-service staff. Specialized positions such as scuba instructors and boat captains require prior certification.

Contact: P. O. Box 1906, Islamorada, FL 33036; 305-664-5612,bsaseabase.org.

Northern Tier National High Adventure Bases

Summer hires: 200

Pay: varies by position; firstyear staffers generally make $936.79 a month, plus room and board.

Positions: canoe-trip leaders and outfitting staff.

Contact: P. O. Box 509, Ely, MN 55731-0509; 218-365-4811,info@ntier.org.

Philmont Scout Ranch

Summer hires: 1,000

Pay: $950 a month, plus room and board.

Positions: trek rangers, backcountry interpreters, and craft counselors.

Contact: 17 Deer Run Road, Cimarron, NM 87714; 575-376-2281,philstaff@philmontscoutranch.org.

Actually, I know young adult teachers (up to 30 or so) who spend their summers as Philstaff... 900 a month with room and board paid is not a bad wage...

For most of these positions, prior experience in a Council level camp program is very desirable.

if you have some money to SPEND and want to got to Europe on the cheap, try the European Camp Staff Program. Free food, free shelter, and 1/2 your travel expenses paid for when you return. You commit to working a minimum of 6 weeks at a camp in Europe. I did 11 weeks.

As someone who has been down the New River three times, I would be very hesitant to go down river with a 16-18 year old Scout with limited experience as my guide. The commercial guides are professionals with years of experience, skill, and physical stamina. And the situation there can be life threatening. While I appreciate what scouts can accomplish, in myh mind, I'm going to leave it to the professionals.

• 2 weeks later...

@le Voyageur - The Summit property is heavily focused on economic development of the area. As a result believe the current plan is to outsource much of the high adventure program similar to Sea Base, where a commercial outfitter will be used. The upfront cost to independently develop a rafting program is too high for a program that has no footing yet.