CPAP during summer camp

Looking through posts got me thinking.

Going to Cub Scout camp for the first time at the age of 37 (I'm slow ok?) and use a CPAP. Not looking forward to a week of no CPAP (tent camping no power) and am looking to those with this experience for help as to my options

Thanks!

The SM in this unit used to bring a battery-powered version. He did no backpacking at all though, only car-camping (if you call that 'camping'). This meant that I rarely ever camped with him. The few times I did, the Darth Vader noises were almost as soothing as the wind through tree branches. But I didn't tent with him. I'd throw my bag out onto the leaves somewhere about 30 ft away from the tent and let him have the whole thing to himself.

Edit: Try to find a battery version. The last thing I'd want the boys to experience is a leader who died in the middle of the night. H'mmm, on the other hand, it would be one heck of a bonfire! :)(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Seems like about a year ago there was a thread here where everyone got into all the specifications and model numbers of the gear they use.

My CC use one of these things at summer camp and has a battery unit. He hauls it up the hill to the dining hall every morning for a recharge.

There were a ton of guys at jamboree for two weeks on the machines. Jamboree advertised it as no recharging available, you're on your own for two weeks, but the reality on the ground was that there was plenty our power outlets and everyone worked something out.

I can't see how anyone can do backcountry on one, but otherwise it's doable.

On another forum I'm a member of, the subject comes up quite frequently. I forget the exact numbers, but a deep-cycle RV-type battery is good for several nights.

Obviously, it's also heavy, so it's not really an option very far away from a vehicle. Also, if it's going to be out in the open, it really needs to be a sealed battery, so some Cub Scout doesn't knock it over and spill battery acid. (The battery will need to go outside the tent, so you'll probably need a box for it as well.)

I forget the exact cost (my RV electrical needs are easily satisfied by a $20 lawnmower battery), but I believe such a battery will cost you about $75.

I suspect (but I don't know for sure) that a larger one of the portable jump-start battery packs would be good for one night, if you have access to a vehicle or 120 volts to recharge it during the day.

Here's a recent thread discussing the subject:

http://popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=75646.0

It would be best if the CPAP machine runs directly off 12 volts. It's my understanding that many of them do. If it only runs off 120 volts, and you don't want to buy another one, then another possibility would be to use an inverter. However, that introduces inefficiency, and the battery will not last as long. If you do go this route, then get an inverter that is just barely large enough to do the job--if the CPAP takes 75 watts, then get a 100 watt inverter. A 300 watt inverter would be more inefficient. But it's best to use a machine that runs on 12 volts in the first place.

Personally, I would be very, very, very reluctant to run 120 volts to a tent. IMHO, there are just too many things that could go wrong. But if your tent is going to be near a building with electricity, this might be something that is done. If you do this, I would keep a couple of things in mind. First of all, make absolutely sure that it's plugged in to a GFI protected outlet. (I think you can buy extension cords with a GFI built in.) Second, make sure it's an extension cord that is designed for outdoor use and of adequate size. Take particular care that the cord is not touching combustible materials, including where it enters the tent, and don't allow the cord to get covered up. Finally, place the connection somewhere where it will remain dry.

Again, extension cords running into tents make me very nervous, but it might be necessary in some very limited situations if proper precautions are taken.

pchadbo -- I just sent you a private message. There is also a really good online forum called cpaptalk.com, and there have been quite a few discussions about camping with a CPAP. There's also a story from someone who has tried using, somewhat successfully, an oral appliance called a PM Positioner.

Guy