They are needed. Like it or not.

I think that girls are needed in boy Scout camps, after all the Boy Scouts vision states; "responsible, participating citizen and leader" and in reality it is not a "Boys only" kind of world, and a scout involved in scouting at the age where he is able to staff at a camp is at the age where he needs to know how to work with a girl in a professional environment, and it would be difficult for a scout to get the opportunity in a Boy Scout environment otherwise. Also there may be times at a Scout Camp when you made need a girl, for example if a scout is extremely home sick, a girl may be able to comfort him better than a boy.

Keep in mind NYLT is now coed, and as such it requires male and female youth staff members if it is going to be able to provide a positive experience for girls in venturing that may attend.

Take White Stag for example, they first allowed girls to attend in 1978 and became the first coed scout camp, and that same year a staff member from the Western Region of the Boy Scouts said: "Something that somewhat shocked me was the use of girls as part of the staff and as learners. They are incorporated very smoothly into the program, the only problem being showers. This was easily remedied. The girls and the boys seemed not at all uncomfortable about the coed situation. It had no apparent effect on learning." White Stag currently has a large number of girls on their staff, some as young as 14, and is constantly growing with coed staff.

In the long run I think we need to accept girls a vital part of scouting and should support their participation. As in reality when it comes to leadership we need to be training scouts in a real world environment if we are to fulfill the Boy Scout's vision.

CJames - I'm not sure what you are suggesting, but I think I disagree.

As the father of a daughter and sons, I cheer for the success of Girl Scouts, White Stag, and coed Venture Crews (for which I have been an Advisor). And I'll continue to put any energy and resources required to keep Boy Scout Troops for the boys.

Most of the boys I serve in the troop have plenty of involvement with girls in school, dating, and other activities.

"They (girls?) are needed. Like it or not."

I must assume you are talking about youth women (girls), not adult female volunteers and BSA professionals.

Needed? Really? In what way are girls NEEDED in a Boy Scout Program?

I could follow your argument (and disagree) if you said the Boy Scout Program would be enhanced or improved, but not by saying they are needed.

Boys and girls need and want their own spaces with thier same sex peers.

BSA and GSUSA could federate using Venture as the bridge unit. BSA could start a girls' division called Girl Guides America with the Venture unit as the only co-ed program. GSUSA will never enroll youth males over 10.

Feel free to contact same age GS troops in your area if you'd like to invite them to a service project or event.

But, I really don't think we need to replace it all with K-12 co-ed Scouting in the US.