Resident Camp Standard -- M20, medical screening

In another thread, someone linked the 2010 resident camp standards: http://nerbsa.org/filestore/regions/neregion/program/campschool/visitation/2010_Resident_Camp_Standards.pdf

The mandatory requirement M20 on page 9 was really interesting:

On arrival in camp, everyone is given a private medical screening by a physician, health officer, or other adult approved by the camp physician.

Does this satisfy the requirements for the big physical that's required for rock climbing and such? (Like the ropes course or climbing wall at the camp?) If our troop wants to scuba dive or rock climb but the price of a physical is too high (the local hospital wants $75/boy) can we just go to summer camp, then use that to do other activities over the rest of the year? Or can the "camp physician" nominate anyone, is this just an informal check that doesn't really mean anything?

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's meaningless, but it's not a physical by a medical professional. It's more an informal screening, not even a checkup.

At my camp, it's conducted one-on-one (in plain sight but out of earshot) with the health officer and the Scout. The health officer (not generally a physician, who can give a physical, but an EMT or rough equivalent) asks about how the Scout is feeling, to ascertain if he might be sick coming to camp; reviews his health history to make sure there are no recent concussions or illnesses that might affect his activities in camp; and goes over any medications and when the Scout needs access to them.

It's mainly for the education of the health officer, so he or she knows about any medical issues and can inform the staff (for example, so the Scoutcraft team can be aware if a hemophiliac Scout is taking Totin' Chip, just to be extra alert).

BH,

did you miss M21? They still require a physical for camp. M20 is just a wellness check for camp starting. Any requirements for a specific program will still be required for that program.

For example, a general physical would NOT be valid for flight instruction (I know, not BSA but you get the jist of it).

Respectfully,

Rick

M21 doesn't say that the medical record must be completed before a scout comes to camp, just that the camp must have one on file for everyone and that it can't be older than 12 months. Is the M35 required physician an absentee physician for most camps then, someone who just signs off on procedures at the beginning of the summer and never actually visits in person?

I can't speak for "most" camps, but in my experience, yes. The physician is usually a local Scouter who may be involved in interviewing the health officer candidates, meets with the health officer before the start of camp, may inspect the health lodge during camp, and may be called upon in emergencies or to consult.

I would wager that most camps can't afford to hire a MD or DO full-time for the length of summer camp. In place of a physician, camp health officers may be nurses (RNs, LPNs or LVNs), physician assistants, medical students (second year or higher), paramedic, EMT or ARC first responder.

For clarification, there is a council level POR called 'Physician" and he is the one that writes standing orders, interviews the camp medical officers, and if problems do happen at camp, he is the one that gets called in. I remember one MD going through the Health log trying to find out why everyone was getting sick at one camp I worked at. He narrowed it down to one troop. At Christmas, I was able to narrow it down to 1 person as my cousin sent her son to camp knowing he was sick and could infect folks. Not a happy Staffer,.

eagle 92

There may be a POR for a physician at camp but in all my years in scouting and all the camps I have been to there has never been an MD present or on staff. The chief medical officer has always been a RN, EMT, Paramedic etc. The procedure has always been for serious illness the scout was sent to the nearest clinic, very few councils can afford to have an MD on staff or as a standby. Which is probably why all physicals must be done PRIOR to coming to camp, the camp medical staff can then determine if a person is possibly too big a risk for their level of medical expertise to handle.

BP,

The Physician POR is a council level leader who supervises the health and safety stuff, not actually goes to camp. He's ultimately responible for having certified medical folks at summer camp, CS day camps, etc. So while he may not be at camp, he should have helped interview medical staff, set up standing orders, make sure the health lodge is properly supplied etc.

Well eagle92 in the four councils I have been associated with there has never been such a position doing any of the things you mentioned. The head medic at camp was responsible for making sure the infirmary was fully stocked and verifying the credentials of the others serving as medics. Not to say you are wrong just that I never heard of or seen such a position.

Yah, depends a bit on da state, BadenP. Some states require a physician-level medical control officer to sign off on camp procedures. It's a good general practice other places, too, but that doesn't mean it's actually done in other places ;)

BartHumphries, da camp medical screening is at best a brief interview and check of the health records for a boy. It doesn't count as the Class III physician physical required for high adventure trips.

If yeh have uninsured kids, there are a number of options for annual physicals. Check with the school district, they often have physicians who do sports physicals for kids annually. Check with your council office or CO, often they can identify a physician who will give a physical to a youth in need for free. Check with DSS in your area for the free clinics, most areas have 'em for people in need. And they might also have information on obtaining low-cost health insurance for children either under the new health care bill or some other program.

Few things better you can do for the lads in Scouting than to see that they have access to medical care.

Beavah

No, they are two different positions.

This is from the Cub Scout Day Camp Standard, simply because I have a copy and am familiar with them, but I believe this language is common to all levels:

M38A. A physician, licensed in the state in which the day camp is located, is responsible for medical care and health supervision of the

camp. The name of the physician and the procedure for issuance of medications and standard operating procedures are in writing and comply with state regulations.

M38B. The on-site camp health officer is a responsible adult holding current certification or a valid license as required for the position.

The on-site camp health officer must also have current certification

in CPR by a recognized community agency.

In most councils most folks will never know or see the council physician. He or she is just a local doc who signed off on the procedures. In our council, he was so far in the background, I never felt that we really met the standard. When ever it was brought up the DE threw out the guys name and said everything had been handled at the council level. I wrote the procedures for our camp and never had any indication that they were every reviewed by anyone, much less an MD.

To your OP, Bart, no, the initial screening at check-in will not serve as the Scout's physical. The physical, required on Part B of the Annual BSA Health and Medical Record must be conducted by an MD, OD, nurse practioner or physician's assistant.

As per the cite in your post, the screening can be done by anyone approved by the camp physician. I've seen the camp business office folks help with the screenings. Basically it's just reviewing the form for completeness and asking the Scout how he's feeling that day.

• 3 months later...

I am a camp health officer at a council run camp. I operate under the authority of a Camp Medical Director who is a licensed Physician. He and I meet to discuss the health and safety plans of the camp as well as to review the standing orders for emergency care at the camp. He is available to me 24 hours a day in case I have health issues arise at camp for which I may need additional guidance. He comes to camp at various times during the season to review the operations and provide staff training as necessary.

As for the health screening, as mentioned this is not a physical, but a review to make sure the health form is properly completed, make sure participants are not ill upon arrival at camp, and identify participants who may have health concerns which we must be aware of during their stay. This screening is required by National Camp Standards and Minnesota State Law.

This screening is not a physical examination, which must be conducted by a licensed practitioner of the healing arts.

This screening was the biggest waste of time on check-in day at our camp. Stand around, waiting in line. Screener, who sees hundreds of boys, glances at kid to make sure boy is not actively throwing up, okays Scouts, moves on to next form. The value-add seemed especially minimal. It was by no means a physical.