Disabled Scoutmasters

Of course over the last 30 years summer camp has changed at the camp in our council, used to vehicles could be in campsites, and everyone cooked their own meals and cleaned up with the patrol method.

Now vehicles are in a parking lot as they should be. Wondering about if a Scoutmaster was disabled, say from a spinal cord injury, do you think they would allow some sort of device to transport that scoutmaster? I know that an electric wheelchair would become stuck, and it could not be recharged. 4 Wheelers would be too much of a temptation for scouts, possibly a lawn mower, gas powered, could climb the hills, go across the fields, and a key could be taken out of it when not in motion?

Some campsites are fairly far away and up steep hills, it this person could not walk 100 ft by walker or cane, shouldn't some consideration be made so that his troop could still attend? Of course with 2 deep leadership one other adult would always be there, but yet if the Scoutmaster could not attend the meetings, meals, etc, he would not be of much impact at camp.

Any ideas?

Thanks

It sounds like you're not just talking about a hypothetical situation. How would such a Scoutmaster manage to go camping year-round, not just at summer camp? Does his troop just go to car-camping parking-lot-edge sites? Does the troop not go hiking or backpacking?

Many, many parts of Scouting are physical, and require certain abilities. Not everyone is able to do it all because of certain medical or physical conditions. That's just a fact of life.

That said, staff members at my summer camp use electric Gator utility vehicles for carrying equipment around, delivering coffee to campsites, etc. I imagine something similar could be used in this type of situation. I've only seen them in flatland country, though, not on hills or such.

The Scoutmaster who can walk, just no very far, might consider renting a Segway. (I've never used one, but they look like fun toys!)

Yes, this is a new injury, the Scoutmaster has been on backpacking trips, survival camps, woodbadge, 15 years of scout camp at the particular camp, many 20 mile scout hikes at places such as Shiloh, Poison Springs, Pea Ridge, Vicksburg, etc. He is an Eagle Scout, and a long time Asst. Scoutmaster, Scoutmaster, etc.

He has not been on a camping trip with the troop since the injury, but feels like he could do scout camp with some way to get around. He probably can't do backpacking trips, etc any more, but car camping trips should be ok, etc.

Just thinking ahead nearly a year, but thinking outside the box may allow him to still participate at scout camp. This Scout camp is not the rough place it started out to be when it opened in 1976, even flush toilets and hot showers, good roads everywhere, pool, not a creek, or then a lake that has since been abandoned, etc. Everyone now eats at the mess hall instead of patrol cooking, the camp has became pretty citified.

Thanks

btw, he has been involved in scouting, counting his time as a scout for the last 36 years

OA, JTL Staff, involved with council, district (many since they keep changing areas even though council made promises years ago not to!) etc...

Also: My local camp has a wheelchair-accessible camping area set up behind one of the program lodges. It consists of several paved pathways stretching out from a central paved area, with room for a platform tent at the end of each. That might be an option as well.

Now is not just the time to start thinking - now is the time to start talking with your local professional staff about options and alternatives. Don't wait until the spring. If the SM's physician agrees that he can attend summer camp, and the SM wants to, then go for it gung-ho.

This is someone whose skills and experiences have proven valuable to countless Scouts, and who is simply asking for some accomodation to continue his work on behalf of youth. He'd also be an excellent example of someone who succeeds in the face of great personal challenges and adversity.

If the camp doesn't already own a Gator or similar type of small vehicle that it could put to the SM's use, you might try renting one from an equipment rental place for the week. Maybe approach a John Deere dealer and explain the situation and ask for a loaner?

Really depends on the injury.

I am an ASM and and amputee. I use a wheelchair, but probably not like many imagine.

It's a manual (not electric) rigid, light weight frame with 8x2 inch front tires and off road 26 inch mountain bike tires on the back.

I don't go back country or rough hiking, but everything else I can get to I do including snow and water (the chair gets submerged at the lake).

Not all mobility scooters are created equal. There are models that can handle most moderate trail conditions. My dad has one, a Rascal something-or-other, and he joins our family on hikes in the mountains regularly. These scooters are specifically made for off-roading and look like miniature ATVs almost. His has a key in it, so I'm guessing most probably do. You don't have to own, many places rent mobility scooters, though not sure if they rent all models. (Medical home care suppliers and Scooter dealers mainly). It's worth checking out and at the very least, they can probably outline some options and may have even better ideas to make it happen.

Extra batteries solve the problem of recharging, but can be a pain to transport. My dad's off-roader uses two batteries instead of the one. I believe most standard scooter batteries are good for about 15 miles. Turning the chair off when not in motion can extend the life of a battery quite a bit.

You can likely rent a sport-style wheelchair from medical suppliers too, though I'm not sure. My dad considered one, but his problem concerns degenerative joints so the stress of wheeling it would be too much on his arms.

a riding lawn mower/garden tractor will not be suitable for climbing even small hills. The center of gravity is too high, Better would be a quad cycle configuration (do not try the three wheel version) with a rollbar, or, as already mentioned, an electric scooter quad-cycle look alike.

Good troop service project: put in a campsite for the disabled at your council camp, do a fundraiser for bath & shower bars, handles, grips, lifts, chair ramps...

What types of devices is he currently using to get around? Since he was extremely active prior to his injury, he might already be prepared with something that helps him to stay active now.

I agree, the SM should talk to the camp about their handicapped accessibility. The camp might already have facilities, and/or equipment in place.

my son's previous troop had a Scout who was disabled... his dad always attended to help with getting in and out of wheel chair. to get around the actual camp from merit badge to merit badge etc, they brought up their golf cart and it worked very well... now and then they would have to go a whole different way to get places - like to the lake front they had to go up to the road and then take the access road down to it, but with the golf cart he was able to get his son to the activities within the time allowed. Didn't have any issues with others wanting to take it for a spin - everyone knew and understood that it was needed for this scout to participate. They did get approval from the camp first though.

• 2 weeks later...

Most camps I've been to have 'roads' around if only for camp staff to transport things to/from the camp sites especially during off season. While they tend to have a 'no cars in camp' rule, that rule is almost always waived for situations such as yours or for disabled scouts. The car can only be used for transporting the specific disabled person and not for general troop transport but most camps I've been to do allow for that.

Although its already been said it worth repeating. Talk to the council camp director and I'm sure things will work out ok. Do it now so there is time to work up a plan it there is not already one in place.

We had a youth in a wheel chair and he went to camp every year. He had a riding lawn mower his dad fixed up by taking off the gas motor and putting in an electric motor worked fine around our camp. He may not of been able to always go the same why but he alway got to where he wanted to go.

We also took him on a fifty miler into the Sawtooth wilderness area for a week. Dad fixed up a special saddle and we put him on a horse and away he went. YM is around 33 yrs old and still talks about that trip when I see him.

Anything is possible if you but your heads together and come up with a plan. The place to start is with the camp director.

Most camps will have a plan in place to help out disabled scouts and scouters. If they do not, I am sure they are more than willing to do so. I believe the BSA has a policy now to where there have to be handicap accessible bathrooms and showers. I know at the camp I work at we had a Weblo in a wheelchair and the rangers decided they'd build him some ramps. They built one for his tent, one for the shower house (we have rocks around it for drainage) and one for the dining hall (again rocks) that was a pre-built bridge. For recharging wheelchairs, we allow use of the dining hall at night, but we also have in 2 power outlets per site. The staff will definitely do what they can to help out however possible.

(This message has been edited by dylfrick)

Our camp has golf carts for this purpose. They'll also allow cars if necessary.

What I didn't appreciate was the troop that brought their own golf cart because their leaders appeared to be too out-of-shape to make the regular long hikes to the dining hall. They justified it because they were so far away, not because they were disabled.