Off to Summer Camp

Well everyone Troop 130 from TAC-BSA is off to Kandersteg, Camp Alpine, tomorrow for a week of Summer Camp. I can't wait. I will be working not only as the SM for th eWeek, but also as a Staffer to help out in the camp. Anyone else heading out this week?

Just got home yesterday. Had a good week. It's always fun watching the new scouts bond with the older guys. With 26 first year campers, we spend a lot of time dealing with homesickness and got bot be good friends with the camp nurse.

Keep 'em hydrated. First of the week was in the mid 90 and had to deal with a lot of headaches and other minor dehydration issues. Friday morning set a new record low of 56, which is dang cold if you're set up for hot weather.

I taught two sessions of Wood Carving and really enjoy that. The small groups and working one-on-one with the boys is what it's all about.

Our troop leaves bright and early Saturday morning for Lefeber Northwoods camp in Laona WI.

It's crunch time.What to pack, what stays home. Plus I've got advancement work to do. We usually perform 20-30 Scoutmaster conferences and BOR's at camp. I need to print out everyone's record and be ready to schedule all of this for the SM and the MCs we'll have at camp. I LOVE IT!

Plus, Plus, I'll be seeing my son who is in his fourth year on staff.

The car is packed; the alarm is set for 4:00 AM, and I'm meeting Spiney Norman at 5:15 tomorrow morning to hook up the trailer. It's off to Lefeber Northwoods Camp in northern Wisconsin with 51 scouts and 15 adults. Good night!

We arrive at D-Bar-A Scout Ranch Sunday at noon. Having my work schedule changed to nights recently, I had to step down as SM. So I have gone from being immersed in Scouting to minimal participation.

I can't wait to get to camp and spend the week with my boys! My favorite week of vacation every year.

Then back to work for a week, after which I will drive to Virginia to visit the Jamboree for a couple of days.

Gotta love it!

Ken

Well Scouters, Summer Camp is over with for Troop 130, TAC-BSA for this year. We had a great time at Kandersteg (KISC). Helped out throughout camp, and taught the Wilderness Survival MB. Earned the SM Merit Badge. Never heard of it before. Anyway, the boys had a great time, as well as the adults.

Leave this Thursday July 15th for ten days. Get to go with two of my boys. Got to do a lot of shopping and organizing today to get ready. Always a little nervous the week before we go. I am our camp scoutmaster for the first time. It has taken a lot of planning and am anxious to see everything come together.

• 2 weeks later...

While many troops are inactive, during the NJ, tomorrow Troop 3 heads out with a small contingent (8 scouts aged 10-15) to Camp Daniel Boone. Due to NJ activities, the camp is only a little over half full, the lowest booking week I have observed in a couple of years.

We are making a brief stop in the Smoky Mountains National Park (Cosby). Saturday the scouts have planned (via 2 groups) a trip across Mt Cammerer (11.0 miles, 2600' up, 2900' down) or collections of smaller dayhikes in Cataloochee. Both groups with meet in Cataloochee Valley before sunset, hoping to spy some elk and other wildlife.

This is the first "big" excursion we have inspired the scouts to do this this year, and we hope they will take this experience on to the younger scouts to continue planning patrol oriented, semi-high adventure.

Troop 90 is back from a week at Lefeber Northwoods Camp in northern Wisconsin. We had a great week, with good weather except for one day, on which there were two evacuations about three hours apart. Our scouts earned 119 Merit badges, 23 progress awards, two mile swims, 2 World Conservation awards. We earned the Super Troop Award and one of our adults won the chili cook-off! All of this in a patrol method camp where scouts cooked all their own meals.

Dale