No camp this year

Thanks to me being a boy and being stupid sometimes, ive managed to break my leg right before summer. And since my troop goes to scout camp the first week, i cant go. I hope that i will be able to go to scout camp next year to make up for lost time. This would have been the first time ive been camping since my fathers passing. god help me when i return. My dad was the one that helped me through the first year

Sorry to hear that you broke your leg. Wish you a speedy recovery. Why not work on some merit badges while you are out of summer camp commission. Reading merit badge and others are some that are not physical in nature to complete. Good luck to you.

Check out meritbadge.com and you can look at all the merit badges and then contact your scoutmaster to get started on some merit badges. Use this "down time" to get some merit badges you maybe not otherwise would do.

Follow your doctor's instructions and get some merit badges!!!

D'oh! Sorry to hear about your leg.

I like the merit badge idea. With so many to choose from you won't fall behind your peers necessarily if you're working on some of those great merit badges, or you could earn new ones your troop has never seen!

You could probably convince your troop to do some fall campouts like Webelos Woods, fall camporees, or even a Klondike this winter to help you make up for lost time!

Why do you mention that your Troop goes to Scout camp the "first week"?

Is it the broken leg that prevents you from camping, or the timing?

If it is the timing, then call your local Council office and find out if the camp has "Provisional Camping." That is for Scouts who must attend individually without the rest of their Troop.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

I went off to camp with 10 stitches in the bottom of my foot put there the weekend before I left. Slowed me up a bit and kept me out of the water, but it didn't keep me from going to camp.

I had a boy 2 years ago break his leg the day before camp started and he managed to get out there by Tuesday. Didn't do the waterfront things, but still managed to show up for MB's etc.

It's not as much fun, but there's no reason a broken leg should keep you from going to camp.

Aim for the last week of camp and go provisional. A lot of boys who's parents are taking summer vacations while the troop is going to camp find going provisional a great alternative and the other boys share in the Lone Scout mentality and have a great time.

Get off your butt and get to camp! A good challenge has been put in front of you, step up to the plate and meet it head on.

Stosh

I'm sorry about your leg, and about your loss.

What kind of things had you planned to do while at camp? Some of them, you may still be able to do with some modifications.

Kudu's suggestion about maybe doing Provo camp later on in the summer is a good one. It isn't the same as attending with your troop (and your buddies) but my son did it one summer, and he had a good time. Maybe one of your friends from your troop will want to go for an extra week of camp and could be in the provo troop with you, too. Provo might even give you more freedom to just do whatever it is you really enjoy at camp, rather than sticking with your traditional troop schedule and expectations.

I hope you have a quick recovery!

Has your doctor told you you shouldn't go to camp? Are you totally non weight-bearing? The reason I ask is last year at our camp, there was a boy from another troop with a broken leg. The camp staff bent over backwards to help him, even hauling him around our rather hilly camp with a Gator. If your doctor is OK with it, have your SM talk to the camp director.

Yeah, those "breaks" (sorry for the pun) happen in life....have to get used to them because they will happen frequently.

Stay home and heal.

Nothing nearly as painful as swelling up in a cast because you overworked it and busted the stitching going on at the break.

I have a pretty ugly wrist from that very thing.

As someone stated above,

most camps have a "provisional" troop so scouts in your situation (and others like it) can camp without their troop.

When I lived in VA my family spent a summer in PA. Rather than haul me all the way back home to go camping I camped with the Provisional troop" at Seven Moutains Scout Reservation near State College PA.

It works.

My son went to summer camp last year with a broken neck. He missed the first day while he was being released from the hospital, but came to camp on Monday. Yes, he was very restricted in what he could do, but he still earned three merit badges and had tons of fun. He had to very careful where he was walking as not to trip, but the other scouts help him along.

The year before he was at summer camp with a broken ankle, still he managed to have fun and earned a few merit badges. So as long as your Dr. clears you to go, I think you can have a good time summer camp even with a broken leg.(This message has been edited by jac0033)

Thanks for the suggestions, and yes I am with a non weight bearing leg, but the stitches are out so i might go. If not, i might go for provisional if they let me, because the camp we go to is out of district because our district camp is a long ways away from where we live

If the camp has a provo program at all, I'm sure they'll let you. My son attended a camp in another state some 400 miles away as a provo. He got some award for having come from the furthest away!

Hope you are feeling better and you get to have some fun this summer, one way or another.

• 3 months later...

I intentionally took camp off this year. My youngest is away at college and I was planning on staffing at jambo. At the last minute some stuff came up, mostly financial. I stepped down from 3 district positions, still with the troop but did not go to camp or jambo.

Went on vacation with my wife(no kids, first time since our honeymoon 30 years ago) Down to only 5 meetings a month(OA of course). Got a little crazy with the scouting and lost the fun. Planning on a trip to camp next year for its 100th.

BTW I did go to camp with a broken ankle in a cast.