Should BSA Lifeguard Cert be extended to 5 years?

Just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on extending the BSA Lifeguard certification to 5 years. I have re-certified many times and although there are usually a couple minor changes it seems to be a redundant process. Your thoughts?

IMHO, since BSA Lifeguard is now identical to ARC Lifeguard, the same folks wrote both courses and BSA Lifeguard uses ARC videos, I say #1 however long ARC certification is good for should be the same for BSA Lifeguard, and #2 BSA Lifeguards should also get an ARC Lifeguard certification sicne it's the same exact course, esp since some places do not recognize BSA Lifeguard, even though prior to 2008 or 2009 it was THE hardest lifeguard course around. Just my $.02 worth.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

BSA Lifeguard is fine the way it is IMO... it's easy enough to help a Lifeguard class at camp (before it expires), pickup a recert. and get extended.

"Training is valid for three years provided First Aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer training are kept current during that period."

If a youth takes it at 15, then they won't need to renew until the become an adult.

After several decades out of scouting, I signed up again last week (my son just turned 11.) I am in the process of re-certifying as a lifeguard etc. (I am to be the troop's offical "Aquaman.")

That said, I see no reason to extend the license period from 3 out to 5 years.

You can re-cert in a single afternoon. If you've been out of scouting for 3 or more years why not recertify?

I guess I'm not opposed to extending the cert to 5 years. I just don't see the point.

How do you recertify for BSA Lifeguard. In our council, they told us we either had to take the 12 week course again, or spend your week at summer camp doing it. We are not offered a chance to recert. with just an afternoon of skills review and testing.

Is there an official list of stuff to demonstrate? Can I find it online?

Well, unless you will be serving on a Camp Staff the question may soon be moot.

According to our Camp Aquatics Director (NCS Trained), Unless one is working as Camp Staff, or HA Staff at a HA site with Aquatics activity then only the BSA Aquatics Supervision - Swimming and Water Rescue and/or Paddle Craft Safety will be available.

We were not given the option to recertify our BSAL or to train a new one as we are Troop Leaders and Scouts, not Camp Staff but did put an ASM thru the new courses.

Not having gone thru the course myself - so take this with a grain of salt - my understanding is that the new certifications and not calling the course graduates "Lifeguards" is a way to remove two things a) the "duty to go" that a Lifeguard is often presented as having(exceptions apply) and b) by doing so absolve BSA from some form of liability in defending a Lifeguard but instead use the standard laws defending the "Supervisor" who while acting now under "Good Samaritan" rules fails to effect a rescue or fails to prevent injury during one.

Again I didn't sit thru the course so If I'm wrong just let me know - no needs for sticks and stones.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

A few comments some based upon expereince, some based upon supposition

Allen,

In referecne to recerts, if memory serves, a skills checkoff and written test were all that was needed. HOWEVER most people I knew either A) took the whole course all over again or B) assisted the instuctor in teaching the course, then taking the skills and written test at the end.

That's how my YMCA facility did it, as well at the camp when i went for BSA Lifeguard. Several leaders 'helped" teach that course for recert purposes.

Gunny,

That's a new one for me. I know that BSA Lifeguard has been, IMHO "dumbed down" to no longer include boating rescues like when I took it. O also know that ARC played a major role in creating the new course. Now I've heard is that the feds no longer want folks under 18 working lakes and rivers, hence the reason why camps are building pools when they have awesome lakes to use instead. And since camps will now have pools, no need for BSA lifguards to have boating training as part of their certification. Again that is what i've heard and assumming. And you know what can happen when you assume.

I got some friends on staff, and will be talking to some folks if I get the chance to do so.

I see several people posting that BSA Lifeguard is the same as ARC Lifeguard. I don't know much about the other certs but what stood out in the past was BSA lifeguard seemed to be the only one that addressed row boats and canoes, is that still the case? If it really offers nothing different then a more universal certification what makes the BSA lifeguard worth pursuing?

Thanks,

Adam

Adam,

BSA Lifeguard no longer teaches boating rescues, nor does it teach the "going without support," aka 'hand to hand combat," i.e. front head hold with body scissors release (my personal favorite), rear headhold with body scissors, control tows, etc. Everything is "going with support," i.e. going with ring bouys, yubes, etc.

Sorry things happen, emergencies arise, and sometimes you will not have equipment with you when you need to make a rescue. That happened to me this past April. LG was correcting a swimmer, person started panicing, and I had to jump in without equipment and do a upper arm hold with lower back thrust to get the victim on his back and floating. I don't think any of the lifeguards today know that maneuver.

Allen posted

"How do you recertify for BSA Lifeguard. In our council, they told us we either had to take the 12 week course again, or spend your week at summer camp doing it. We are not offered a chance to recert. with just an afternoon of skills review and testing.

Is there an official list of stuff to demonstrate? Can I find it online?"

here's a link

http://www.usscouts.org/advance/docs/BSA-Lifeguard.pdf

Thanks Eagle92

I was BSA lifeguard back when I worked at Camp Frenche and all my friends who worked at the pools in town over the summer were amazed that I was taught to handle boating and lakes and everything. If they are not going to differentiate it why bother offering their own program any longer? Seems like a waste of resources when they could just use ARC, whats next BSA CPR certifications?

Without the "natural water" and boating and stronger skills they require how does it support the Scouting Program? I am really bummed to hear about this :(

Adam,

SHHHHHH don't give national any ideas about BSA CPR certification. LOL Seriously though I doubt BSA will do CPR since it changes every 5 years. they have a hard enough problem releasing MB requirements on time.

Then again BSA is getting into the WFA by the looks of it.