Military Installation Contacts/ Scout Liaison

Good Day Everyone:

I'm looking for the name and phone number for the Scout Liaison for any military installation {AF/Coast Guard/Navy} in Florida and Georgia. I have the contact info for Robbins AFB, GA.

Specifically, I need the contact person for NAS Jacksonville or surrounding area. We've tried going through Public Relations, but they don't return phone calls or emails. The Scout Liaison at Robbins doesn't have this info either.

What we're trying to do is stay at a military installation on our way back from camp in North Carolina. This will cut down the expense of a hotel. We are already staying at Robbins on our way up to camp. We're traveling from South Florida so we have to break up the trip. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know for sure if they have a program that you're looking for but you can probably find out here:

Audie L. Murphy Soldier Service Center

Building 253, 1st Floor, to the right of the reception desk

55 Pony Soldier Road

Fort Stewart

(912) 767-9176

0800-1630 Monday-Friday (Weekends as needed, must call ahead)

This is the Fort Stewart Army Community Service Outreach Center. Fort Stewart is just below Savannah, GA, a good location for you I think.

If they can't give you an answer they'll probably know who can. Good luck.

Let me know if you want info for Ft. Benning or Gordon. But I suspect those are out of your way.

Of the two, I would vote for Ft. Benning. I know they used to have a program for scouts but I think a lot of that stuff changed after 9/11. But they do have this. I think it is the same facility that I remember from years ago. I have also listed the web site for the campground and marina. The pdf file has contact numbers for the entire Directorate of Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation. I'll see if I can find my notes on Gordon. That one is near Augusta, GA. Benning is south of Columbus, GA. (By the way, when I was doing work on Benning, in one day I saw more cottonmouths than during my entire life of slogging through Southern swamps, prior to that day. Just a thought...you probably won't see a thing.)

Uchee Creek Army Campground and Marina: (706) 685-3060

http://uchee.benningmwr.com/index.php?pg=generalinfo

http://www.benningmwr.com/documents/Phone%20Numbers%20%28Oct%2009%29.pdf(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Thank you Thank you! It's a great start.

We were stationed at Tyndall AFB, Panama City. {Air Force Brat}

Lots of cottonmouths, diamond backs and water moccasins there. Thanks for the heads up!

Really appreciate the info.

There's usually a troop or two on post, and the scoutmasters and committee chairs are usually either retired soldiers and sailors, or active duty. Getting in touch with them can be a tremendous resource. I know here, our post even has a campsite for boy scouts and we can use it anytime, we just have to clear it with the Public Affairs office, then they pass it up to the Garrison Logistics commander (in our case this year, he was also the troop committee chair!).

Thank you for the sound advice. I sent an email to the North Florida Council asking for the Troop{s} name and/or Scout Liaison for NAS Jax or Camp Blanding area. We've tried to go through the Public Affairs office at Jax but they don't return phone calls or emails. Going through the Council/Troop was a good idea. Appreciate it!

"We've tried to go through the Public Affairs office at Jax but they don't return phone calls or emails"

Sometimes you can get around that by asking the base operator (main base number, usually ends with 0000) for or direct dialing the station commander's office. His secretary usually knows who the Scouting liason is. Another office to try is Protocol.

Nuther idea... coupla years back we drove from California to Yellowstone and I called ahead to the Idaho Falls council and they opened up their cub scout day camp for us. You may want to consider scout camps along the way...

If you can contact someone at Ft Bragg/Pope AFB in NC, you will be a bit closer to AP Hill. The best route for contact may be through your MWR office or even the Chaplain.

Good Luck.

NFLC might mention this one to you, but try Mayport NS as well (I don't have their contact info). We stayed there a few times as Scouts in the mid-90's when I was in CFLC and we were given a lot of tours of the ships. You have to go over to Jax Beach, which is a little farther off 95 than NAS Jax is off of 295, but with the completion of 9A a few years back, it's no big deal.