Open toe shoes

We have a closed toe sandal/shoe rule. Basically it it a no flip flop rule. Crocs are fine too, that's what I wear. Tennis shoes work at summer camp since the paths are well worn. If you want to wear boots that's okay too.

YMMV

I don't like the hats off rule but I follow it since it is camp tradition at the summer camp we attend. We're under a screened in pavillion so sort of a blend of inside/outside in the mess hall. But I just go with the flow and take the hat off. The hat snatching sounds a little extreme when a simple reminder would do.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FScouter wroet: "Rather than sensitivity training for camp staff, the Jewish boy needs a lesson from his Rabbi that a Boy Scout hat is not a yamaka."

Actually, many Jews today wear hats or caps in place of the kippah. Besides, how do you know in the first place that a Scout or Scouter is Jewish?

I definitely prefer to err on the side of respect for the variety of religious practice in Scouting instead of presuming to know what an individual believes. Just because I know that you are Jewish, or Christian, or Hindu, or Muslim, or Wiccan, doesn't mean I now know the totality of your religious practice.

But then, I'm also one of "those people" who doesn't ask others to bow their heads for grace before meals, because I know some faiths don't incline their heads during the blessing. I try to neither assume nor impose.

Yup, a Rabbi who knows his stuff is not going to give a lesson on head coverings. It doesn't matter whether the head covering is a yarmulke or a scout hat. Either would suffice as a head covering for religious purposes, and one is not expected to wear both simultaneously.

On the other hand, if the scout is eating non-kosher food, it wouldn't be appropriate to wear a head covering at all.

Absolutely! The act of snatching my hat away from me will not suddenly make me respectful if I was not so previously. And by snatching my hat, their disrespect kinda negates the respect they are trying to imply.

I see the hat snatching the same as the idiot behind me who blows his horn the very second the light turns green: Just because I did not stomp the gas when the jerk behind thought I should....he assumed I wasn't paying attention. In reality, I may have been about to hit the acelorator 2 seconds after he blew the horn.

So far, the only thing that has happened is that the guy behind me acted like an arrogant impatient jerk!

So, maybe I will take my hat off as I sit down after standing in line and not holding my hat in the same hands that wil carry my drink and food tray...you know...where I greatly increase the chances of spilling my food or drink on my hat.

Maybe I wasn't going to eat in the hall. Maybe I was just looking/searching/checking out something.

First, I'll preface what I'm writing below with the statement, that when I'm involved with scouting, I follow the rules about open-toed shoes and crocs and I make my sons follow the rules as well . As much as I like wearing my TEVA open-toed sandals outdoors (and on my own, I pretty much wear them anywhere), I don't wear them on scout outings or even to scout meetings.

I think that crocs are great camp shoes, and I don't understand the objections. Yes, they aren't appropriate for hiking or for running around playing wide games, but I can't imagine anything easy to use that would be better for those midnight walks to the bathroom or even the nightly shower at summer camp.

I think we do have an obsession with scouts wearing hiking boots for most occasions, and I'm not sure it's a good thing.

Our council had a council-wide encampment this past weekend and while I was working as a sub-camp commissioner, I saw first hand why closed toed shoes are important. An adult was brought into the subcamp hq because he was runnind round camp with sandals on and dislocated his big toe.

I have always followed the closed-toed rule in camp...but that being said, I don't understand the adversion to Crocs. My brother bought me a pair a few years ago as a joke, and although I think they are ugly as sin, they are some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. I don't wear them often, but I do while at the campsite (not camp-wide) and for the trip to and from the latrine.

The heal strap keeps them on my feet and after spending about 14 hours a day on my feet Friday and Saturday at camp, it was awesome to walk around the campsite with my Crocs on before heading to bed...my feet thanked me in the morning!

Our council had a council-wide encampment this past weekend and while I was working as a sub-camp commissioner, I saw first hand why closed toed shoes are important. An adult was brought into the subcamp hq because he was runnind round camp with sandals on and dislocated his big toe.

I have always followed the closed-toed rule in camp...but that being said, I don't understand the adversion to Crocs. My brother bought me a pair a few years ago as a joke, and although I think they are ugly as sin, they are some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. I don't wear them often, but I do while at the campsite (not camp-wide) and for the trip to and from the latrine.

The heal strap keeps them on my feet and after spending about 14 hours a day on my feet Friday and Saturday at camp, it was awesome to walk around the campsite with my Crocs on before heading to bed...my feet thanked me in the morning!