Finances for camp 2010

For unit serving Scouters...

- What is your read on youth attending Scout camp this year? More, fewer, about the same?

- What are you hearing from your parents on their Scouts attending other programs besides Scout camp? More, fewer, about the same?

- Are they giving a reason?

- Are you hearing any youth say they've earned money, but it's going into the family pot, not for him to be able to go to camp on his own?

For folks who work camp staffs, particularly at the Scout Reservation level...

- What do you see as your headcount this coming season? More, fewer, about the same?

- Are you getting any feedback from the units you serve (program, cost, scheduling)?

Thanks to all...

• 2 weeks later...

I am sending three boys to camp this year. One will be staff and was a CIT last summer, the second will be a CIT this year and the third is going as a camper for either one or two weeks, depending on if our troop can get adult coverage for the second week. My oldest son, who's in college, interviewed but was not hired. We were told that jobs were offered first to younger (and cheaper) hires than to older teens who needed to be paid more. That's a cost cutting measure the camp is imposing.

I have a dependent care account to which I put in enough to cover the youngest two weeks. I am planning on enrolling him in my town's local program for another 3 weeks, which will cost about $800. i don't have the money for a fancy camp.

I am getting off cheap this summer (well not really).

A#1 son will be 2nd year camp staff (was CIT last year, and will be again if he is not a paid staffer).

A#1 daughter (they are both #1's because they are twins) is hoping for paid staff but will stay if just CIT. She is a Venturing Crew member (along with her Scout brother).

But there's $$ in sending A#1 son to Jambo (1st for the Troop). Taking the family to WVa camping & 1 day visit to Jambo as well.

I may volunteer at the pool for the Troop's week at camp this summer. I know, it's a tough Lifeguard/MB instructor job, but someone has to do it. :)

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

This is my first year dealing with Scout Camp finances so I don't know about the history. I am however hearing concerns about the costs and we may have boys not able to attend.

I have also heard parents say that they will not be going because of the costs.

I am not having fun asking for the camp payments. If I sign up to be camp Scout Master again, I will create a troop position to collect camp payments. I created all other types of jobs for camp, collector should have been at the top of my list. Live and learn.

Count down for 5th session at H. Roe Bartle, 105 days.

We just had our final night before last and I've not seen the final numbers. I know several of our All-But-Project Eagles probably won't go for the first time. But the troop has grown by 50% this year so I'm expecting a similar increase. I'll be interested to see the year-to-year net.

Probably more to your point is that we have seen a jump in financial aid requrests. We have about 8 guys going to jamboree. With that expense a couple families were opting out of summer camp. Although I've encouraged them to apply for camperships if it will help.

Mr Brown,

There's a position for that: It's called the Troop Scribe. Have that youth member, under the SPL's overall leadership, work with the adult Treasurer.

The hills of Osceola are calling you today...

Talking with some of the guys who serve on our Council Camping Committee.

It seems that we have less Scouts going to summer camp this year.

No one is really sure what impact the Jamboree is having. The Council has 3 Troops going to the Jamboree. (We as a rule have about 1,100 Scouts at summer camp)

There are a lot more people applying for Camperships this year.

But this might be due to the fact that the Campership program has been better advertised this year.

Ea.

I think we're down this year. So far, only 11 of our 25 scouts have registered for summer camp. Four others are going to another camp called Trail to Eagle.

I think kast year, nearly all the boys went to camp. Many parents are out of work. I had to move a few states away for a job and come home 1-2 weekends a month. Needless to say, I won't be going to camp this year, although several scouts will be backpacking in the smokies for a week and I'll be on that trip.

For the pack, Day camp registration is waaaay down in our pack. Boys who sell their goal in popcorn get to go for free.