Massachusetts summer camps

1 hour ago, Laxplr21 said:

Reviving this thread about recommended Massachusetts summer camps.    For a new Scouts BSA troop of girls new to Scouting (but not all new to camping) have you any recommendations of great camps readily accessible from the Boston suburbs or the middle of Massachusetts?   In particular any  comments on recent year's experiences at Resolute,  Treasure Valley, or Wanocksett?

The closest one to Boston in the suburbs is the Camp Sayre or also known as New England Base Camp.  This location was the camp at the old Boston Minuteman Council in Milton.  There are places for camping and cabins.  The camp is updated with an indoor swimming pool (used by a local swim club), high adventure course, and other programs that units and groups can pick and choose.  Last but not least the camp is also available to the public.  Groups throughout the area can use the facilities.  business retreats, YMCA weekend camp outs, church groups,  everybody has access to it.  When I had my woodbadge weekend there, a YMCA group was using a couple of the cabins.  The new Spirit of Adventer council has really made it a goal to spread scouting opportunities to the public and invite them in.

Here is a link of the council camps with any information you may need.  http://www.scoutspirit.org/camping-properties/

Sorry, you are looking for comments on MA summer camps? I ask, as Sayre is not a traditional summer camp- they have a summer program, but it is not setup as overnight camping.  While I can grasp your comments about Sayre, the reality is SoA did that open program so the property gets used as much as it was to get interest in Scouting.  It isn't a camp that was getting a terrible amount of usage, especially considering how close it is to the major roadways.  Units in their council on the other side of Boston would rather go their properties in NH than try and make the commute through Boston on a Friday night to get to Sayre.

For summer camp programs, the following are CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT camps that have summer resident programs.  If you haven't already booked in mid-April, availability may decide where you go versus where you wish to go (many are going to have weeks that are full at this point):

Camp Location
Camp Squanto Plymouth, MA
Camp Resolute Bolton, MA
Treasure Valley Scout Reservation Rutland, MA
Moses Scout Reservation Russell, MA
Yawgoog Scout Reservation Rockville, RI
JN Webster Scout Reservation Ashford, CT
Camp Mattuck Plymouth, CT
Camp Sequassen New Hartford, CT
Camp Workcoemen New Hartford, CT
Ed Strang Scout Reservation Goshen, CT
Camp William Hinds Raymond, ME
Camp Bomazeen Belgrade, ME
Camp Roosevelt Eddington, ME
Camp Wanocksett Dublin, NH
TL Storer Scout Reservation Barnstead, NH
Wah Tut Ca Scout Reservation Northwood, NH
Hidden Valley Scout Camp Gilmanton Iron Works, NH
Camp Bell Gilmanton Iron Works, NH
Mount Norris Scout Reservation Eden, VT

As far as reviews: I wouldn't rank Wanockset or Resolute at the top part of my list of favorite camps, but to each their own.  Every Scout should feel "their camp" is the best camp.  My own preferences if I were trying to narrow down options to be helpful, I would look at Hidden Valley, Yawgoog, JN Webster, Squanto, Treasure Valley and Wah tut Ca.  Yawgoog, Hidden Valley and JN Webster especially have put a lot of money in recent years to improve infrastructure and modernize the camp.  I'll keep favoritism for Squanto out of this (my son will be staff there) 😀. 

If you are looking for other New England BSA camps for weekend camping:

Camp Location
Camp Norse Kingston, MA
Camp Sayre Milton, MA
Cachalot Scout Reservation Plymouth, MA
Camp Buxton Rehoboth, MA
Nobscot Scout Reservation Sudbury, MA
Camp Greenough Yarmouthport, MA
Camp Split Rock Ashburnham, MA
Camp Duarte Martha's Vineyard, MA
Camp Richard Nantucket, MA
Champlin Scout Reservation Cranston, RI
Buck Hill Scout Reservation Pascoag, RI
Camp Aquapaug South Kingston, RI
Sandsland Scout Reservation Block Island, RI
Camp Pomperaug Union, CT
Deer Lake Scout Reservation Killingworth, CT
Camp Wah Wah Taysee North Haven, CT
Hoyt Scout Reservation Redding, CT
Seton Scout Reservation Greenwich, CT
Camp Nutter Acton, ME
Camp Gustin Sabbattus, ME
Camp Carpenter Manchester, NH
Lone Tree Scout Reservation Kingston, NH
Camp Sunrise Benson, VT

Edited by HashTagScouts
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@WMAScoutMom welcome to scouter.com The Massachusetts Junior Conservation Camp, not affiliated with Scouting, is also held at Camp Moses in August .  "The Massachusetts Junior Conservation C

Update July 24, 2018 The Western Massachusetts Council of the Boy Scouts of America has sold its 186-acre Chesterfield Scout Reservation. The council has owned the property for 10 years. The

Depends on what programs and conveniences interest your unit.  We have camped at all three but have only attended a week of summer camp at Wanocksett (NH). Wanocksett  has more elbow room, s