Summer Camp Woes

We have just crossed in to our Troop. Our situation may offer a solution, even though it is a bit different. My son is the first new boy in our Troop in over 2 years. We also have 5 other Webelos committed to crossing over into the Troop in February. The vast majority of our veteran boys will be attending Philmont this year. Our younger boys can NOT go, first because of age, and second because they've not had the opportunity to raise the funds necessary.

Solution? Our Scoutmaster, along with my husband and any other adult leader who wants to, will be taking our new boys, even if it is only one, to our local camp this summer. If, btw, she (SM) was not willing, we, as parents, would be taking our son ourselves, hooking up with another Troop if need be. This is because *we* understand the value of summer camp. I am hoping that some of the other boys will be joining our son at camp, though I'm not confident of that happening, but we will go anyway even if we go as a Troop of One. I would be going with them, as well, except I'm going to be Program Director on the Cub Scout side of camp - at least I'll be able to make it to Parent Night :)

Application? Suggest that those who, for whatever reason, don't want to attend camp in VA attend your local area camp instead. As the Troop bonds more as a Troop the boys will apply the pressure to stay together as a group, regardless of what a parent/DC says.