camp recommendations for next year

Our troop is in Missouri, but we are looking to go out of council next year to someplace a little special. We are interested in camps that have a good older boy program as well as something good to offer the first year campers. We are also interested in camps that have a good OA call out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Not sure which council you are from. My troop from Illinois went to S bar f. They had a blast and heard the tap out ceremony was fantastic. I wasn't with the troop at the time they went 4 years ago. but heard it was great. Hope this helps. Hopefully you haven't been there.

We were at S-F this year. Somehow they messed up and didn't light the bon-fire at the call out. Otherwise it was okay, but Camp Lewallen's call out the previous year was better.

I should also add that we would prefer a camp where the boys don't have to do all the cooking. At S-F they do patrol cooking, which took up a lot of time where the boys could've been doing other things. (I don't really care to get into a discussion of the merits one way or the other unless somebody wants to spin off a new thread.)

The H Roe Bartle Boy Scout Reservation, Heart of America Council, located on Truman Lake, MO:

http://www.hoac-bsa.org/Camping/BoyScoutSummerCamp/Bartle.aspx

One of two homes for the Tribe of Mic-o-Say. It's a 10 day camp.

The Geiger Scout Reservation, Pony Express Council, located near St Joseph, MO:

http://www.ponyexpressbsa.org/Camping/BoyScoutCamp/

The other home for the Tribe of Mic-o-Say. It's a 7 day camp.

EagleSon has attended and likes both. So do I.

I 2nd John in KC.

H. Roe Bartle has an excellent program for all especially the older boys. I beleive it has more older boys returning to camp than any other camp in the nation. It is not unusual to see boys returning to camp for their 6th and 7th years. You also see boys going sometimes a 10th year and it is due to a program for older boys.

I just got back from Bartle this past Saturday after a 10 day stay. Although it is a long camp, the boys never get burned out. My oldest son just completed his 4th year and my middle son had an excellent 1st year.

If you haven't been to Bartle then you must put it at the top of your list of camps to consider especially since you are from Missouri.

Contact me anytime and I will send you anything you may need to help with your decision including pictures.

Good Luck!

This year, HOAC's other Reservation, Theodore Naish, did not have OA inductions during its Boy Scout camping sessions. That was a decision of the former staff professional for the camp.

In a few weeks, we'll know what this years Reservation Director is planning for next year. I like Naish every bit as much as I like Bartle. HOAC is truly blessed to have two complete Scout Reservations, and to be able to get as many youth members as we do to Boy Scout Camp.

Assuming Ordeal and Brotherhood ceremonies again become part of Scout Camp at Naish, I'd have no problem recommending them to you, since that was part of your criteria. As a Scout Camp, I have no problem recommending Naish as well as Bartle.

Of course, I'm also delighted at our Webelos Camp and Bear Family Resident Camp operations.

Our Lodge now does call-outs by Chapter, ahead of our annual 1st induction weekend.

I for one still prefer the old-fashioned TAPOUT. Ka-WUMPH! by the Mighty Chief, after having had a runner come up behind you, grab you (you didn't know you were a Candidate until that instant, and run you down to the mighty Chief screaming in your ear all the way.

If it was good enough for me 40 years ago, it's good enough for Candidates today.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Ours was a minor variation, Scouters signaled who was to be tapped out, taps were administered, when all were tapped somebody behind you thrust your bed role into your hands and then all canidates were husteled off into the dark by the runners, ceremony often didn't start till after 10PM, if parents were there they stood behind the formation, NO PHOTOS, no yardlights, this made a real impression on first year and even 2nd year campers. Now council won't even allow the riding of horses in the ceremony, has to be lead in. If that horse was any more docile is would be asleep.

(pardon my spelling)