Special meal arrangements

We have a Scout in our Troop who observes very specific dietary restricions. We would like him to go to summer camp with the Troop, but we have yet to figure a way that he can observe his diet.

The camp has suggested that he bring and cook his own food. This suggestions has some obvious shortcomings not the least being that the camp will not allow him to store his food in their refrigerators nor cook in their kitchen.

They claim that normally this is not an issue as scouts with this type of restriction come to camp in a common group and camp remotely or take trips where they do their own cooking, etc.

I understand the camp's dilemma with mass feeding, common kitchens, 'where do we stop, etc.' and limited storage, but that still leaves the issue unsolved at this point

Anyone every develop a clever solution to this type of challenge?

JPS

I will be getting a Scout with similar food restrictions for medical reasons. I haven't approached anyone to discuss this issue yet so I am curious as to some suggestions.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

We have two such scouts, one is Hindu and follows a strict vegatarian diet, our council's camp has been very accomodating to him. We have another scout who is very allergic, is lactose intolerant etc. His mother provides the food and the camp kitchen staff stores and prepares the food. I couldnt have asked the Camp to be any more helpful than they have been.

In a way, this is an ADA issue, and the Camp has to provide "reasonable accomodation" to the scoout

I would talk to the Camp director, your commissioner and your DE. Storage of food should not be a problem. I am on the host corp for most training activities, the OA and any other time they need one. We have had vegetarians and special meals for medical reasons. We work thru them. The only major hurdle I can envision would be the need for a kosher kitchen, but even then this might be possible. If you can be a little more specific it would help in giving you solutions. Our camp has always helped any way they can.

As far as Kosher meals go. There is a company that sells boil in the bag meals that are Kosher. (If they are marked Parv they contain no meat of any kind.) I think its myownmeals.com. The Jewish committee on scouting may have info on the subject. I don't have the web site handy but a web search would find it.

Paul Rokoff

ASM Troop 12 Dalton Ma

The Scout is Muslim and follows his religion's diet. I inquired last year as to how this the oldest camp in the country dealt with this issue in the past and as I said in my intial posting, they only other time they have dealt with it is when units such as one that observes Kosher camps as an outpost. In those instances the units usualy bring their own food and cook it themselves on the trail or in their campsite.

Remember that this is not just an issue of getting the Scout fed. We want this Scout to enjoy the dining hall fellowship with us.

This is not an ADA issue.

A Scouter last summer who was on a heart healthy diet and brought some food with him to supplement/substititue the dining hall food was told that there was no room to store his food in the dinin hall fridge.(It was one standard grocery bag.) So storage is an issue.

JPS

Just from what you tell me, I feel you should attempt to move to another camp next year. If this camp does not have basic services or will not accomodate requests, you should pick up your troop and bring them elsewhere.

Scout camps should not be allowed to deny boys without a good reason.

As observation of his duty to be Reverent in following the dictates of his faith, the scout is being punished?

I would see the camp director first, who ever is that persons supervisor and then the DE. I see no reason why he cant have meals in the dining hall prepared for him