Internet Stalking (It's Happened to us)

Feathers, I'm glad to hear that you and your daughter are following through on making sure this boy understands the seriousness of what he did. Your daughter should be commended for going to you with this information and being

brave throughout this.

I hope the boy and his family learn from this. Harrassment and bullying is not acceptable under any circumstance. These are not joking matters.

As a parent, I thank you for taking care of this in a reasonable manner and in making sure your troop gets well educated about it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

First of all and very most important. GET OFF AOL! AOL not only shares information with local authorities, which is good, their membership files are very easy to penetrate and are the first ones accessed by child preditors looking for families with children. Second, try to get off a dail up connection and switch to cable or DSL, then buy a Linksys Router which will place your computers behind a firewall. This firewall is not as secure as ones used by corporations to protect credit card info, but they are a good source for family and personal information protection. Third, prohibit your children from accessing or using chat rooms for any reason. There are strange people in those chat rooms. If you follow these instructions, you will rid yourself of stalkers because they cannot access you.

ASM1

• 1 month later...

Actually in my opinon stay on the dial up modem because when you dial in to go online your IP address changes on DSL or cable it stays the same. As for getting off AOL I agree AOl is a horrible service because if you go into a chat room it shows your user name and people can guess its @aol.com. Go to Hotmail.com and sign up for a free email box and only give that one out. Also if they do chat online instruct them to get a new username and it is easy to do so.

IP addresses are an important part of this discussion because if I have your IP address i can put nasty programs on your hard drive and execute them that is why you also need a firewall

Not is you have a firewall!! All DSL cable ISPs reccomend a firewall. And how is hacking someones computer part of a disscussion about chat room stalking?

If you ask me, misery loves company, and you can't afford DSL so you would rather be miserable on AOL

netscouter

feathers,

Glad to hear everything is OK & very happy to hear that you will be following up with the youth.

netscouter,

Considering the title of this thread, I feel this is a perfect place to discuss hacking into one's computer. scmom is partially correct. Dial-up modems do sometimes change the IP address. However, if the hacker has a ping program then the hacker can ping your PC & get the correct IP. A firewall is the only protection you have. There is a site http://www.zonealarm.com that offers a free firewall that you can customize. I use it & I have had no intruders.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Happy 4th of July!

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

I have my own suggestion which I hope to try myself at the next Youth Protection Program that I do. I will find a person who knows about firewalls and other ways to block unwanted people from getting to our children. A much more competent computer person than I. Hopefully give parents yet another tool to protect their kids.

Featherswillfly

Bob,

Hacking & stalking are both illegal activities. Hackers can hack into your PC & get information about you. This can lead to stalking. Anything that will prevent an unwanted person from getting at children is a good thing. Isn't that what Youth Protection is all about! Protecting our youth!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Happy 4th of July

With your IP address a person can use your computer against you. That is why it is recommended to have a firewall. They might just be able to read information now but who knows they might also be able to put a trojan horse program on your computer andd gain access to credit card numbers and favorite websites as well as different user names and profiles stored on your computer.

Featherswillfly,

It sounds like AOL does not want to be reasonable for there part.

Did you show the school the information on Youth Protection? That information should be soon to all the school districts in the USA.

If you use your computer for the internet, I would keep all the important material about yourself off of it. Once the person has the information about you; they can do any thing to you.

BT

As a computer professional and an counselor for Computer MB, let me share how IP addresses and firewalls work. An IP address identifies your computer or router to the internet. All URL's( e.g. www.scouter.com) actually relate directly to an IP address.

Firewall block access to a computer or network by preset parameters setup by the firewall admin. Firewalls block all incoming and out going connections to the internet except those in the setting files.

Chat rooms usually are not montiored and there is great danger to using those forums to childern and the naive. Parent should montior their childern's use of the internet, the computer that they use should be in a common room where the use of the computer is easily viewed by the parents. In addition, contact your ISP to see if they have family content filters available for you to use.

AOL doesn't ofter this service and secondly, AOL is a buletin board service that has grown too big to control.