How Common are Cub Scout Resident Camps?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have two types of resident camps this summer.

First all of the districts in our council are having a twilight camp. Most are running monday through friday, 1800 - 2100. There are a few Districts that are doing a weekend and I think one is doing a weeklong/all day.

The other is a Cub Encampment that they are doing. There is two types. Cub Scout Encampment (Wolves and Bears) and then there is Webelos Encampment. THey are both 4 days and three nights at the local summer camp.

Hope these ideas help.

Most councils in my area offer cub resident camp and day camp. Many also offer a special resident camp session for Webelos only. Most are 3 days/2 nights. As posted elsewhere, there are some 4 day/3 night ones, and very few longer ones for cubs. Parents often attend with the kids. Some even allow siblings.

My council, in the mid-Atlantic area, has run a Cub resident camp for years at one of its two council camps. The season is split - five weeks of Boy Scouts, about three for Cubs.

I'm not a camping professional, but there would seem to be several challenges to a council that wanted to start a Cub resident program - space and facilities primary among them. Running a resident camp at a non-council-owned property wouldn't seem to be worth it, considering that you'd basically need to import your supplies and equipment (tents, archery supplies, rifle range gear, lifesaving equipment, etc.) to make it on par with national standards.

Converting a Boy Scout camp to offer a Cub program could be difficult depending on the layout or design of the property. Boy Scouts can walk a mile or so to a program area from their campsite, no sweat. Not all Cubs have that kind of stamina, especially the younger guys. At my council, the reservation is large - about 1,400 acres - but the camp area is centrally located, with everything in easy walking distance. It's perfect for Cubs (but some kids and parents complain of the distances anyway ;-) ). The other council camp is smaller in size but campsites and areas are far more widely spread out - Cub camp wouldn't work there at all.

You also have the issue of recruiting staff. Most summer camp staffers are older Scouts or college students. To them, there's not as much cachet in working with Cubs as there is working with Boy Scouts. The camp I've been talking about used to split the season so it was three weeks of Boy Scouts and five weeks of Cubs (now it's reversed). Despite that, most of the staff training focused on Boy Scout program and skills. It's a status thing... So finding young, enthusiastic staff members - the guys and gals the Cubs look up to - for work at a Cub camp will be a challenge.

In this area, Cub camping has proven extremely popular, at least up until this year, when enrollment took a hit. (I'd wager more parents opted out, or went for the lower-cost, volunteer-run district day camps.) The council's long-term strategy actually calls for the creation of a "Cub World" resident camp, a stand-alone operation centrally located in the council for the sole use of Cubs. It appears on hold now due to the recession, however. We'll see how that goes - I'll be particularly interested in how staffing works out.

Edited to add: The idea of a twilight camp is really interesting. How has it worked in your areas?(This message has been edited by shortridge)

wahooker,

The answer to your question is "fairly common". The names may change a bit and some councils/districts only have WEBELOS while others have seperate WEBELOS and CUB camps (that depends on financing/staff availability/location/...).

I have seen BSA Resident camps throughout the US and in Asia (Korea/Japan).

Personnaly, after being the Program Director 2008 for Korea District Resident Camp, I prefer the longer Day camps for regular Cubs and Resident Camp for WEBELOS. I know I differ from many but Resident Camp is NOT "Family Camping" which is what Cubs are supposed to do. What are the Cubs going to look forward to if they allready have three (3) plus years Resident Camping under thier belt when they become WEBELOS? (Tiger/Wolf/Bear) See topic "Cub Scout Summer camps" in this forum for what I mean. Soon they will want "High Adventure" for Cubs.

Just my $0.02

Rick(This message has been edited by ghermanno)

Our District does both a day camp and a twilight camp. I've only had experience with the twilight camp (4 years now) which is very popular. Monday - Wednesday the dens rotate through stations (BB/archery/sports/crafts/woodworking/etc.) with some differences for each rank. Thursday is "Hike Night" - each rank hikes to various stations with rank specific items, one station is the food station and the cubs roast a hot dog for themselves. Friday night is "Family Night" - entire family is invited for supper - main dish is provided, families provide other items. The ranges are usually open and a couple of other stations, followed by a closing program. This year was awarding certificates/patches to each scout, flag retirement and thank yous.

The day camp is not as well attended and does not have the positive reputation the twilight camp does. I'm sure one factor in that is the ability to recruit adult helpers more easily for the twilight camp.

The day and twilight camps are held at the council's primitive camp - port-a-potties are brought in! The council also has 3 and 4 night resident camp for cubs at our other camp. This camp has primitive areas, but also has "Cub World" which consists of a fort and a castle and a more remote "mountain man village" with platform tents. Which area you stay in depends upon rank. I've not been to resident camp, but the cubs I know who've gone have really enjoyed it.

In our council, each District does it's own day camp. Resident camps are conducted by the Council for the whole council. There are usually five sessions of four day/three night Webelos Resident Camps and two sessions of three day/two night Cub resident camps for Wolves/Bears. In our Council, this marks the 18th year of resident camps.

While siblings are permitted at Day Camps, the Resident Camps only permit eligible Scouts and their parents (because of limited room). Cubs must have a parent/guardian with them, while Webelos can attend theirs alone with leaders from the unit as long as there are two leaders for every 8 boys.(This message has been edited by pack212scouter)

Funny, I was just going to ask this question.

Our council apparently uses the week after Boy Scout camps are over, Sun-Wed for Wolves/Bears, Wed-Sat for Webelos. I suppose they use most if not all of the same staff as the Boy Scout camps. This is new to me; when I was a Cub we only had day camp.

Our pack hasn't participated before, so my son and I (I'm new CM) are going to try it out this year.

Valid question though posed by Rick, if a scout camps two years as a Cub and two more as a Webelos, how interesting is it going to be as a Boy Scout simply staying at the same camp a few more days? Granted, there are different activities and more independence. On the flip side, it won't be that much of a stretch then to make the leap to a week.

We run Cub day camps and a Webelos resident camp, but haven't done a Cub resident camp yet. I have noticed a very strong correlation between WRC and Boy Scouts in my Pack. Very nearly 100% of the boys who complete WRC cross over to Boy Scouts. Of those, the ones that do well at WRC (good time, no homesickness, no dehydration issues, etc.) stay in scouting for the long haul.

The Heart of America Council operates:

In each of its Districts, a week-long Cub Scout Day Camp (Tigers to Webelos).

At the Theodore Naish Scout Reservation, a 2-Day, 1-Night, Parent/Child (1/1 ratio) Bear Overnight Resident Camp. This is a staffed camp, under NCS visitation standards and has 13 sessions of 130 youth/adults this year.

At the Theodore Naish Scout reservation, a 3-Day, 2-Night Webelos Resident Camp. This is a staffed camp, under NCS visitation standards and has 10 sessions of ~400 youth/150 adults this year.

Camping opportunities are part of the obligated program the local Council is to provide a Chartered Partner under the Charter Agreement!(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Our council is fortunate to have a facility that it owns outright that is dedicated to summer camp for cubs. Frankly I am not familiar with the details since our sons had aged out of cubs by the time we moved here. Nevertheless it seems to be a great activity on its own and a great retention mechanism.

eisely could you tell me where your Council is please.

My Council has run Cub and Webelos resident camps for years. Cubs camp 3 days/2 nights and Webelos camp 4 days/3 nights. Camp offers swimming, shooting sports, scoutcraft, some academic belt loops (map and compass, geography, misic, art), Eco Con is a great draw too. Advancement is available at all ranks from Wolf up. Webelos can work on 4-6 pins per camp, mostly outdoor type pins. Camps aren't well attended less than 10% of eligible Cubs/Webelos attend each year.

The biggest problem in our camps is they have gotten stale. The same things year after year, in the same routine. On another thread I've asked about longer camps for Webelos or motivated Cubs. I really think if the kids are into it they should be able to go for a longer duration.

I too have seen a correlation between Cub/Webelos resident campers and a positive transition into Boy Scouts. The boys in our area that camp at Cub/Webelos summer camps tend to go into and STAY in Boy Scouts. In the past 3 years in my Pack only 1 (out ot a possible 12) Webelos scout has gone to a troop and stayed. While he didn't resident camp he camped with older brothers and an ASM dad. The other kids never camped, in fact it was a bad word in our Pack before my Den arrived and wanted to camp as Tigers.

Our Council also has day camps that are run at the District level. There is a common theme and each District creates it's own program. Twilight seesions are available at 2-3 out of 7 Districts. These Districts also run day sessions. In our District we've found that twilight parents are involved and motivated while day parents expect babysitting service. We'd love to have twilgiht only camp but with nealy 400 kids to serve we can't accomodate everyone in the evening.

Getting the kids outside is the important thing. Getting them used to the Coucnil camp is a bonus. I have no wories that my son will OK in 2 summers at his first Boy Scout camp. He's comfortable there.

San Diego Imperial Council has THREE levels of summer camps for the cubs...

1) Each District holds a weeklong day-camp (M-F 0800 - 1500) - open to ALL cubbies

2) There is a Webelos only weeklong resident camp (Sun-Sat) - Web I & II only

3) There is a 1/2 week Cub/Web resident camp (Sun-Wed) - open to Wolf, Bear and Webs

Camp Old Indian, Blue Ridge Council, SC has a Webelos/Cubs resident camp at the end of the summer, last week after Boy Scout camps. It is run much like trainerlady's description. Programs are designed toward Webelos pins/Cub achievements. Each year has a different theme.

Webelos arrive on Wednesday evening, Cubs on Thursday evening, and camp ends on Saturday at noon. Most of the regular staff is kept on. The camp director and program director are volunteers, along with any other volunteers they ask to help.

Not sure how it's run now, but back when I was the camp director we ran in essence two different camps at the same time - one for the Webelos and one for the Cubs. All the scouts did many of the same things such as archery, BBs, canoeing/rowing, swimming, but the Webelos got a bit more because they were there for an extra day. Sessions for them varied from year to year but included things to go along with the activity pins - especially the outdoors pins like forester, outdoorsman, naturalist.

In the fall, the council also holds Cub/parent weekends for about six weekends. Cub/parent arrives either on Friday afternoon and leaves Saturday noon, or arrives Saturday afternoon and leaves Sunday noon. These have turned out to be very popular and the summer resident camp program has taken a bit of a hit in numbers since.