Summer Camp Countdown

mbrown, I am guessing your eldest son is looking forward to certain MOS activities?

We drew 6th session at HRB. (sigh)

Middle son and youngest son are on staff again, and have been at HRB since last week. Youngest son (19) posted the following status on his Facebook yesterday (they go to Scott's for wifi):

"I bunk with (insects) and (spiders), the showers only go scalding hot or cold as ice, and I have worked and trained nonstop for 5 days. And most importantly, I'm home! Man I've missed it... Shout out to all of the campers and staff of H. Roe Bartle Scout Reservation!"

Regards,

Axeman

CR/UC

axeman,

I met your oldest boy last year at the turkey wing club. We always enjoy that outpost and have planned it again this year. All of our outpost were great last year and we are looking forward to the newest one this year.

My son is expecting a fun camp as you know. He really enjoyed it last summer and this one will be better. My middle son isn't as excited about scouts but he is going to camp and seems pretty pumped about it. I hope this summer he gets back into it.

I will look for your son again this summer and give him a quick hello. I hope the weather is good for you in late July.

Enjoy it!

• 11 months later...

48 days for me. Haven't been to excited until this week. A freind of mine's son went down for staff training Wednesday and now I am itching to go.

Good and bad year for me. My oldest son earned his Eagle a few months ago but my middle son dropped out. I am hoping that with no pressure he will take some time off and get back in. He is really into sports which I love watching him play but has lost interest in the scout thing. I have one more boy and that starts 1st grade next year and I am afraid to sign him up for Tiger Cubs which he really wants to do. I think the Cub program is very long and boys can get burned out.

You never know, this may be my last year to go to camp with one of my sons. I just teared up writing that last sentence. I love going to camp with my boys!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be at Woodruff for week 7, July 17 - 23. If this heat keeps up, it is going to be a scorcher. We usually go week 2, which is in early June, but due to the HA trip, we had to move to late July. Woodruff offers 8 weeks of camp.

I leave in the morning with my girl scouts for their trip to San Antonio... then I'm home for a week... then I leave on Father's Day for summer camp with the boys... then my son has about a week and a 1/2 before he leaves for philmont, but for that I'm just driving him to and from the train since they don't allow anxiety disorders on HA trips - oh well.

I have Day Camp CM duties starting tomorrow thru Friday and then Saturday night, we get on 2 charter buses with 84 boys and 12 adults and drive 14 hrs to Camp Alexander in Colorado. Out of the frying pan of Texas to the freezer of the Rocky Mountains :) Looking forward to this trip!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back Saturday after enjoying 10 very hot days at the H. Roe Bartle Scout Reservation in Central Missouri. Big drought in our area so the lake was very low but plenty of water for the boys taking lake front merit badges. All of our days were in the upper 90's and a few reached 100 degrees but with the shade from the beautiful oak trees it wasn't to bad. The Mess Hall was rocking, Out Posts were all excellent, the woods were alive with critters, and the boys seemed to have a wonderful time. After 10 days I was ready to go home but I already can't wait until the next time I get to visit this beautiful place called scout camp.