Summer Camp Post Card...

Last year I printed out post cards for the Scouts to send home from summer camp on Wednesday. They liked doing it, and the parents were happy to get some communications from their kids.

So I'm going to do it again this year. Thought I'd toss it out for others, and see if anyone else here has done this as well. Also, other ideas for fun and exciting questions or answers??

On one side of the post card is the address info, and on the other are questions with a number of answers the boys can circle, and then a small area for a few comments.

Some boys were very honest - whether they liked camp or not, and others just circled the most answers they could find. All in all they liked doing it, despite having some trouble figuring out how to write out their home address!

The Questions:

Dear _________, Date:________

Im having fun at camp: yes, no, not sure yet, what me worry?

Went swimming today: yes, no, not sure, havent found pool yet

Total number of mosquito bites: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 1000+

Getting enough food: yes, no, not sure yet, havent found food yet

Dining hall food: tasty, good, bad, alive, biohazard, unidentified, yummy

The weather: hot, cool, nice, rainy, sunny, breezy, freezing, not sure

Merit Badge Classes: fun, lots-of-work, interesting, easy, boring

My tent: cozy, buggy, dark, smelly, nice, scary, inhabited by Trolls

Troop fire: tiny, average, big, huge, massive, forest fire, like 1000 suns

Bottles of water drank (Pool/Lake water doesn't count): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Bought at Trading Post: candy, ice cream, knife, t-shirt, flash light

Send: money, candy, ice cream, cookies, TV, emergency crews, the Army

Summer Camp: great, fun, too long, too short, just right, not sure yet

Much Love,

I like it! Very funny.

Usually, I send a couple of letters along to camp with my son for him to open. One year, I sent him one that I created to be a "mad lib" letter for him from me about camp and he and his friends filled in the blanks.

Here it is:

Dear Son,

Now that you've been at Boy Scout camp for (number) days, I hope you have been having a (adjective) time. I can't wait to hear about it and all the activities you are doing, like (an activity), (and activity) and, of course, (an activity). Keep notes in your (non) at the end of each day, so you remember all the (adjective) fun you've had. So, what is the food like at camp? Are you eating lots of good (plural noun) made with (plural noun), (a liquid) and (plural noun)? Is the food (adjective)? I hope your tent keeps you (adjective and (adjective). Does your tentmate like to (verb) Has the weather been (adjective)? Have you had any (plural noun)? If you have I know you will (verb) and tel us all about it. We look forward to (verb ending in ING) when you get home. Do you miss us much? We miss you (adverb ending in ly). Don't foreget the most important (noun) of boy scout camp: Never, ever do anything (adverb) enough to cause the (plural noun) to (verb).

Love, your (adjective)Mom

And here's what he brought back from camp:

Dear Son,

Now that you've been at Boy Scout camp for 1,495 days, I hope you have been having a slimey time. I can't wait to hear about it and all the activities you are doing, like worm farming, bus driving, and, of course, laser eye surgery. Keep notes in your spleen at the end of each day, so you remember all the smelly fun you've had. So, what is the food like at camp? Are you eating lots of good elevators made with hot peppers, motor oil and wood beetles? Is the food sticky? I hope your tent keeps you fuzzy and silly. Does your tent mate like to skate? Has the weather been green? Have you had any giraffes? If you have I know you will gag and tell us all about it. We look forward to sneezing when you get home. Do you miss us much? We miss you crazily. Don't foreget the most important Brussel sprout of boy scout camp: Never, ever do anything dumb enough to cause the aliens to tickle.

Love, your quiet Mom

I think maybe I'll do one as a mad lib to be FROM him to me. Which is kind of like your original idea.

(This message has been edited by CubScoutJo)(This message has been edited by CubScoutJo)

CubScoutJo -

Fun idea!

I could see an opposite "mad lib" letter coming from camp to mom - a fun thing for the Scouts to fill in while sitting around the camp fire.

Our crew took pre-stamped post cards to Philmont. We noted things we did on each day and mailed them from each staffed camp. Most of them got home after we did but it's still fun to look at them and remember the fun times we had. Some of the minor details slip our minds after a while but this brings back all the memories. The pre-printed questions are a fun idea but they don't work well as a journal.