Camp Norris VT Closed for 2009

http://www.wptz.com/health/19445660/detail.html

An asbestos mine on Belvidere Mountain from 1936 to 1975 left an estimated 3,500,000 cubic yards of mill tailings. In 2008, the state warned residents of the town and nearby towns that there was a "health risk" for people living within a ten mile radius of the mine. Above ground mill tailings were estimated at 16,000,000 cubic yards.

The camp is about 3.5 miles from the former mine. Last year scout parents started asking council if the Camp was safe, so the Council decided to have the EPA check. Guess what, camp is shut down to clean up the asbestos contamination in the ground. I wonder why no one thought of looking at this issue before, because the former mine is a Superfund cleanup site.

We have several superfund sites here where I live, and in fact I grew up in the watershed of one of the big ones (no ill effects). These are being treated at the original location, no effort is being made to clean up other contaminated areas (these are obviously not asbestos).

Anyway it is never good to hear of any scout camp being closed, for any reason, but especially for something like this. How do they clean up the ground at something as large as a scout camp? Is there any chance of reopening the camp next year or sometime in the future? Are these cleanup expenses covered by the Superfunds?(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

According to EPA it is dust that spreads the asbestos contamination. So all roads and trails will need to be hard covered (ie pavement or clay). The superfund only covers the mine site. The council is working with the EPA and plans on reopening next year, but I've aready taken a bunch of calls from parents who believe that there is no need to risk going back. There are serveral nice camps in New England that are further south (ie warmer). I hope that this is only a one year setback.

According to EPA it is dust that spreads the asbestos contamination. So all roads and trails will need to be hard covered (ie pavement or clay).

Going by this, it would also include dirt parking lots, parade grounds, gathering areas, campsites, program areas, etc. - anywhere that the grass has been killed by thousands of feet. Sounds like a no-win for the council.

Heck, I was at A.P. Hill for National Jamboree in 1981 when they had the leaking barrel of dioxin at the merit badge midway area. I think I still have the letter that National mailed my parents explaining that I might have been exposed to a carcinogen. I still have a button that proclaims "I Survived A.P. Hill's Spill."

From my understanding, that is Green Mountain Council's ONLY Boy Scout Camp.

There is more info, including copies of the letters sent to leaders on GMC's website:

http://www.scoutingvermont.org/

I heard about this about a week-and-a-half ago as the leaders of one of our very active troops is on staff at their Frontier Camp. They have been very busy scrambling to locate an alternate site for this summer. Matter-of-fact, he was off at some meeting in regards to that this weekend instead of at our camporee.

I jokingly mentioned to said leader that he should try and suggest relocating Frontier Camp to our mothballed Camp Bomazeen. It's not like PTC is using it. (grumble)

As for the dioxin spill at the '81 National Jamb, one of the scouts in my unit back then eventually lost an eye due to cancer which I think they had traced back to that spill.(This message has been edited by moxieman)

• 1 month later...